Gransnet forums

Webchats

Cabin Fever

(38 Posts)
anneey Tue 30-Dec-14 16:23:10

After all the hard work and excitement of Xmas.
I am verging on a touch of Cabin Fever.
Today I forced myself to go shopping, even though I didnt need anything.
I rang a friend and invited her to come for a bowl of leek and potato soup tomorrow.
I was overjoyed when a Scottish friend, invited me to her 'open house' on New years day.
Any of you Gransnetas feel the same?.

rubylady Tue 06-Jan-15 01:42:33

What birds do you get? I put a new thread up as we are in a new house and I've just bought a bird stand with feeders so was asking what different food attracts which birds? I'm a bit of a novice as I'm newish to gardening but love watching the birds and can now do so from my settee.

Galen Sun 04-Jan-15 19:54:24

Too disabled to garden.
I listen to radio 4
Crochet
Watch the birds on my bird table
But mainly I read

rubylady Sun 04-Jan-15 19:46:21

Thanks for the encouragement NanKate and rubysong, it means a lot to have someone patting me on the back. My son said that my being ill was my own fault because I was stupid enough to start smoking in the first place. True, but not very helpful when feeling grotty. So thank you. flowers to you. x

rubylady Sun 04-Jan-15 19:42:54

What things do you do to keep yourself entertained Galen? I've just started a thread about not wanting to go out but it is different if you can't get out. Do you have any interest in gardening? It's now coming to the time to plan for this spring so any tips would be appreciated. If you have a garden, I don't know if you do or not. GN is a God-send, especially when on my own. smile

soontobe Sat 03-Jan-15 22:15:54

That is sad Galen. Such a shame.

Galen Sat 03-Jan-15 22:04:42

Ability

soontobe Sat 03-Jan-15 21:48:35

Is that by choice or ability?

Galen Sat 03-Jan-15 21:38:21

Last time I left the house was the 23 December. That was just to do a one day tribunal.

NanKate Sat 03-Jan-15 21:29:55

Poor you Merlot hope you are beginning to feel better now. flowers

merlotgran Fri 02-Jan-15 17:13:21

I have a fever but sadly not of the cabin variety. I didn't think I'd escape the visiting lurgy and it's taken a week to send me to bed but I can't even be bothered to watch crap TV.

Hot toddy has helped though wink

NanKate Fri 02-Jan-15 12:38:51

Congratulations Rubylady for giving up ciggies - not easy.

I was chatting to a very pleasant lady in the charity shop today and she had an awful aroma of tobacco around her. Had to get away quickly as I felt sick.

rubysong Fri 02-Jan-15 12:23:41

flowers for Rubylady for giving up smoking. Well done! Keep up the good work. Good luck to anyone else who is giving up. Save the money in a jar to buy yourself a special treat. It's years since DH and I gave up and I always try and encourage others.

petallus Fri 02-Jan-15 12:11:49

I definitely have cabin fever, made worse by the fact of my hip replacement two weeks ago which has affected my mobility. I feel quite trapped as my house is on a hill and I can't manage to walk anywhere except up and down the small back garden patio.

And like others I am suffering from having no time to myself.

At least the Christmas tree has just been taken down which makes the living room seem less claustrophobic.

Mishap as a fellow recent hip replacement person, I am really sorry you have had such a hard time of it.

Grannyknot Fri 02-Jan-15 10:01:33

Doh! I've just remembered that "Webchat" is for when we get to ask important people questions...!

Symptoms of cabin fever clearly includes being dozy grin

Grannyknot Fri 02-Jan-15 09:58:23

I've only just realised there is a "Chat" heading as well as a "Webchat" heading, I wouldn't know what the difference is and never got past "C" in the alphabet. Perhaps GNHQ could enlighten us on the thinking behind that one smile

Anne on my Kindle Fire if I hold my finger on the round brackets, a smaller pop up menu comes with square brackets.

I've got serious cabin fever but it's a lovely day here today so I will clean the cabin and then head out with my M&S gift voucher as motivation! I need new,bras and knickers.

rubylady Fri 02-Jan-15 02:33:41

Feeling for you Mishap. I really do hope you start to feel better soon. It's not nice when an illness lingers on. I've been unwell too with giving up smoking, infections etc. They don't tell you that when they encourage you to give up but I wouldn't go back to them now. It's been nearly 3 months now.

Keep your chin up. flowers for you. X

Mishap Wed 31-Dec-14 13:43:13

I definitely have cabin fever, having been unwell for that last 4 months and basically a bit stuck here out in the wilds - the high point of my week is a doctor's appointment!

merlotgran Wed 31-Dec-14 13:37:21

Driving into town this morning to do a small supermarket shop (still eating leftovers) helped shake off cabin fever because the sun was shining and the roads were surprisingly quiet. I've just walked the dogs and fed the chickens so am now happy to be back in the 'cabin' because the wind's getting up and the fire needs lighting!!

FlicketyB Wed 31-Dec-14 13:33:07

I am out to Waitrose this afternoon just to get out of the house and get some time on my own. Love DF to bits but 1 week of never managing to be on my own and I am gibbering. Fortunately today DD has returned home and DS and family are off on an outing. By the time they get home I will have had an hour or two out and my batteries will be recharged.

tanith Tue 30-Dec-14 22:57:06

tchgrin rubylady

rubylady Tue 30-Dec-14 22:55:15

tanith tell him you have a gynecology appointment! smile

Nonu Tue 30-Dec-14 18:22:25

Thank you NotTooOld, I will , when ever I get to wear it !tchsmiletchsmile

anneey Tue 30-Dec-14 18:19:42

Thanks for bracket info.I will go away and practice.
Amazing what one can learn from Gransnetters!!!

NotTooOld Tue 30-Dec-14 18:13:44

Nonu - you obviously don't have cabin fever as you are leading a lovely social life! Enjoy your dress.

Nonu Tue 30-Dec-14 18:11:37

I haven't really got cabin fever, but I took myself down town to buy a new dress for the dinner we may or may not go to tomorrow evening.Not too worried though as it will come in handy for Mauritius , as it is a sort of cocktail dress , reduced also , so that makes it even better to me !!

Still have a bit of the virus hanging around, probably going out tomorrow evening will improve things .
tchsmile