Gransnet forums

Webchats

Count Arthur Strong Q&A

(57 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 22-Jan-15 15:45:58

We're thrilled to announce a special question and answer session with the legend that is Count Arthur Strong for Gransnet!

The Count, for those of you still unfamiliar with him, is a semi-retired variety star who, unrelated to sharing the same shoe size as Barry Cryer, is now starring in his very own situation comedy on BBC2.

In Count Arthur Strong, the ever optimistic Arthur goes through life ready to try anything to make a few quid - and ready to give a performance whenever he feels he has an audience. Unfortunately he's not very good at either and his efforts usually end in chaos.

Arthur has also written his auto-biography Through It All I've Always Laughed which traces his life from humble beginnings as a newborn baby in Doncaster to playing tiny parts in Juliet Bravo and appearing alongside Alec Guinnesses in Bridge Up The River Kwai, he has always laughed through it all, and these memoirs of his will surely jog the memories of all those who have laughed along with him - including Count Arthur himself. He lives a life based on those minor triumphs, plus some other ones he may or may not have been in.

If you have a question for Arthur - whether it's about the many, many famous actors and entertainers he's worked with over the years, or how he feels about modern Britain today as a 70-something part-time thespian, Arthur would be delighted to respond to you all.

Please add your questions before Thursday 29th January.

Count Arthur Strong is on BBC2 22.45 on Tuesdays. You can find out more about the Count on his website.

Anne58 Thu 22-Jan-15 16:51:33

Hello Arthur, as an avid Radio 4 listener, I have enjoyed your work very much, as indeed has my husband.

I know that Radio 4 has a good track record for their comedy programmes going over onto TV (Little Britain, Dead Ringers, League of Gentlemen).

Who decided that Count Arthur Strong should make the move, was it a general consensus, or did some of those involved have reservations about it?

Tegan Thu 22-Jan-15 17:12:56

Oh crikey; of all the people that have done a Q&A on here you are the greatest. I'm in shock. Will come back with a question when I've recovered.......

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 22-Jan-15 17:36:51

confused Must not say don't know who he is.

Ana Thu 22-Jan-15 17:41:47

I don't either, jingl, although in the photo he looks rather like Harry Worth! grin

Elegran Thu 22-Jan-15 17:46:41

He is a fictional character from a sitcom.

Teetime Thu 22-Jan-15 17:57:53

More terrible TV.

Tegan Thu 22-Jan-15 18:00:27

Noooo! It's wonderful!!

Marelli Thu 22-Jan-15 18:11:46

You have to 'see' Count Arthur Strong. You have to see past the sitcom....not explaining myself very well (a bit like Count Arthur himself, perhaps - though he does try very hard)! grin

booboo Thu 22-Jan-15 18:16:01

Hello Arthur

I love both your radio and your tv shows. I have often wondered if you have ever been married or had someone to love in your life. You do seem to need a woman's touch in your life or are you a confirmed batchelor?

Pittcity Thu 22-Jan-15 18:56:46

GNHQ seem to have demoted you to BBC2, Arthur, when I know that you have reached the dizzy heights of 'BBBC1'!

I was impressed with your doorstep canvassing and wondered if you would be interested in follow the Pub Landlord and standing for parliament at the General 'Erection'?

petallus Thu 22-Jan-15 19:03:03

Arthur, I was thrilled to discover you have agreed to do a Q and A session on GN.

Your radio show was so good, i wasn't a bit surprises when you landed your own tv prog. I'm pleased to see it hasn't gone to your head.

My question is, from your long career in showbiz, do you have any interesting bits of tittle tattle regarding other celebrities you could share with us?

rocketstop Thu 22-Jan-15 19:47:35

Dear Arthur,
I am so pleased you are back living in the manner to which you are accustomed ie/Entertaining the masses.Fab to see you back on TV,sometimes I miss your one-liners as I'm too busy still laughing at the one you said before. I particularly enjoyed seeing you collect a crack team to break into the agent's house to steal a script back.
You declaring that 'I am a shadow, a rumour' will stay with me for a long time, and I may even borrow it!
My question is..'What did Eggy get you for Christmas ?'

lynchie Thu 22-Jan-15 20:16:48

Oh wow... I'm completely overcome... smelly salts here please.

I just love the TV series... my favourite bit so far is the walk to the plane - genius.

What is your favourite part so far?

Marelli Thu 22-Jan-15 20:20:10

The walk to the plane!! Oh yes!! grin

mustardgravy Thu 22-Jan-15 20:41:42

Dear Count Arthur, pardon my impertinence but have you ever come close to or, ever seriously considered attaching yourself, (matrimonially that is not with...um...blu tak or sellotape or even gloy) to a potential Countess?
Respectively, Rich Musgrave

dartmoordogsbody Fri 23-Jan-15 10:09:50

Well, Count Arthur, this is an unexpected privilege. Thank you for agreeing to communicate with us Gransnetters.

My question is, who suggested that you move to television? Were you surprised, or had you expected your devoted audience to demand the move? Michael must have been amazed when you told him.

I confess I was nervous about it (I know that wouldn't have occurred to you) because usually the pictures are better on the wireless, but you have triumphed on TV. As I'm sure you never doubted that you would...

glammanana Fri 23-Jan-15 10:19:12

I enjoy all your work and say well done you for your exceptional sense of humour,would you ever consider performing in small theatres across the Country giving more people the chance to experience your talent first hand,would Count Arthur enjoy going on the Road so to speak and adding a few "gigs" to his extensive travels.You could bring along some of your acting pals and enjoy the time on the Road

Ruby6918 Fri 23-Jan-15 11:53:45

hi cathy here what an interesting man!! and books sounds fab, id like to ask whats ur favourite one liner from some one else? thanks and books sounds brilliant

felice Fri 23-Jan-15 15:29:23

Biggest lot of rubbish on TV or Radio, glad I pay my dues through my cable channel, wouldn't pay for this if i was forced too.

Tegan Fri 23-Jan-15 15:49:43

I watched this weeks episode on iplayer last night and was still chuckling over bits of it hours later. I guess comedy is very subjective [or, as Arthur would say, 'digestive']. I love the way that little inconsequential things that happen throughout the course of the show come together at the end [the bell, for example grin]. And that the characters, to me are 'real' [I can't explain that bit but it's true, for me anyway].

pompa Fri 23-Jan-15 15:50:08

Glad someone else thinks it rubbish, though I was on my own.

LisaPug Fri 23-Jan-15 20:56:23

Oh Count Arthur, love your radio and TV shoes (sod it, that should be shoWs, wonky keyboard). There are some "purists" that say that radio is your best format but I think your transition to the small screen has been very successful and given us more of you to enjoy. Also looking forward to your live tour!
My question to you is - Do you have any plans to move to the big screen? "Count Arthur the Movie" or perhaps "The Greatest Count Arthur Story Ever Told". Just a couple of original suggestions should you consider it.

rosesarered Fri 23-Jan-15 22:23:54

Dear Arthur,is it the world that is out of sync with you, or the other way round? Have you ever given this thought any consideration? grin

Falconbird Mon 26-Jan-15 07:14:31

Agree with jinglebellsfrocks - don't know who he is but sounds good.