Gransnet forums

Webchats

Any questions for Rachel Reeves MP?

(2 Posts)
mib Wed 25-Feb-15 10:50:26

I appreciate that there is a shortage of housing and families need more space than I do on my own. But equally I have lived in my council owned flat for over two decades and would like to be able to see out my days here in my home. I'm hardly rattling around - there are two bedrooms and although I now live alone my grandchildren stay often. I cannot afford to pay any more in rent and am very resentful of the bedroom tax and would like to know exactly how Labour plan to deal with it if they get in in May. Thank you for your time.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 25-Feb-15 09:44:11

Tomorrow morning (11.30) she's popping in to Mumsnet but we're keen to add some questions from gransnetters too - especially as there are a number of areas of her work whcih are very pertinent to our community.

Rachel is the MP for Leeds West, and Shadow Secretary of State for Work and Pensions; among other things her brief includes the ‘bedroom tax’ (also known as the ‘removal of the spare room subsidy’ or ‘under-occupancy penalty’), which she has said Labour will abolish. Before becoming an MP, she worked as an economist for the Bank of England, the British Embassy in Washington and at Halifax Bank of Scotland. Her second child is due in June and there was some controversy earlier this week about her intention to take maternity leave should Labour form the government after the General Election in May.