Gransnet forums

Webchats

Live webchat with Celia Imrie - Tues 24 March 1-2pm

(75 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 16-Mar-15 14:14:52

Hurrah - Celia Imrie will be joining us at GNHQ next Tuesday to answer your questions on her new book, Not Quite Nice (info here) as well as her award-winning career.

So add your questions now and join us on the day!

happytraveller Mon 16-Mar-15 16:24:40

Hi Celia

Enjoyed your latest book very much; also enjoy watching you on the screen. Lots of actors make the transition to writing - usually an autobigraphy and, sadly, not always sucessfully, and I wonder why writing is such a draw for this particular profession?. Is it because actors are not always in regular work and they feel the need to do something else, or because they like to talk about themselves perhaps? Good luck with any future work and long may we continue to watch you too.

Gagagran Tue 17-Mar-15 09:04:52

I really enjoyed reading "Not quite Nice" and was impressed at the way the threads of the story came together. Theresa was especially believable. Did you go to the Riviera to do background research Celia? (I love that area and recognised your vivid descriptions) and did you base Theresa on anyone or is she a composite? Look forward to your next book - hope there is going to be one?

Buddie Tue 17-Mar-15 10:06:24

Really enjoying this book and can't wait to see how it all pans out - (hint to self: must organise more me time).

One thing that struck me from the outset was how very visual the descriptions were and it made me wonder if Celia has a particular interest in art or is indeed an artist herself, perhaps a painter? Although I have never been fortunate enough to visit the south of France I can easily picture the scenes from Celia's descriptions.

I have found the characters very easy to differentiate and also find them believable. I wonder if being an actor and having to create characters from the written word helps in reversing this process.

GeminiJen Tue 17-Mar-15 10:32:03

Hello Celia
Like Buddie, I was struck from the beginning at how visual your descriptions are and I wondered...Did you write this with a view to a stage/film adaptation, or possibly a mini TV series?
And, even if this wasn't in your mind originally, might that be an option worth exploring?

janerowena Tue 17-Mar-15 11:39:57

Hello Celia

I loved how much more realistic your book is than I had assumed from the cover, and yes, your powers of description are excellent. Obviously not everyone would have all of those experiences in such a short time period, but I have friends who have experienced most of them and many more besides! And several who have had their families move over when actually they had moved away to get some peace and quiet...

Did you use your friends' stories as inspiration? I often think I would like to, but am too afraid of litigation!

Stansgran Tue 17-Mar-15 12:29:07

I had trouble getting into this book and found it difficult to picture people leaping out of upstairs windows starkers ! I read that Celia said that the south of France was a bit of a life saver. Do tell if this was book was based on experience and which character did you base on yourself? I'm a great fan of Celia as an actor and must read her biography.

coffecup Tue 17-Mar-15 13:57:04

Really enjoyed the book did you write it while in france or is it
just an idea as you write very vividly about france, would make a good film
i think.

Albangirl14 Tue 17-Mar-15 13:58:24

Love Celia as an actor and enjoyed her Biography but sorry didn.t enjoy the book and didn.t find the rude grandchildren rang true.

janerowena Tue 17-Mar-15 14:11:37

You haven't met my sister's disgusting children albangirl...

weevil Tue 17-Mar-15 14:17:43

Hello Celia I am such a fan of your work. You have had so many fantastic television roles it must be very hard to choose a favourite but I wonder what you have enjoyed most? My favourite is Dinner Ladies

nancynana Tue 17-Mar-15 14:21:28

I loved the bit in Calendar Girls where taking off your top called for bigger buns. Was the film as wonderful to film as it was to watch? (And any tips for working round bigger buns would be great too - I have never managed to flatter/flatten/dress to make mine a positive!!!)

pavlovalover Tue 17-Mar-15 14:24:40

Hello Celia there has been a lot of talk recently about roles for 'older' women and ageism within the film (and television) industries. I would be interested in your views on this.Thank you for much pleasure over many years

Rosannie Tue 17-Mar-15 18:05:00

I read this book with Celia's voice narrating it in my head and her mischievous grin and the twinkle in her eye making me think it was very tongue in cheek!
It reminded me of the show Dirty Rotten Scoundrels which was also set in the South of France, did Celia get any inspiration from that story?
Have I misinterpreted your story Celia? I loved it as a lighted -hearted farce and it really cheered me up!

granh1 Tue 17-Mar-15 18:39:03

The book is set in the South of France, and its large than life characters sparkle with wit and life, the Mediterranean sea simmers with sunshine. Theresa has impulse purchased a charming little property overlooking the sea, in a quaint town. She soon meets a group of expats and looks forward to settling into her new, exciting life.

Things don’t run smoothly, and some of the expats turn out to be a bit weird, with secrets they don’t really want to others to know. The main focus of the story is the characters, loveable eccentrics who you feel you’d love to meet and chat to. The plot is straight forward, with no great surprises, but enough to make an amusing and readable tale.

The description of the town is excellent- the old buildings, narrow streets, steep steps, colours of flowers, contrast between sunlight and shadow. Familiar to anyone who has walked through a Mediterranean village, and to the author who dedicated the book “to my pals who brought me here to Nice, and to the city whose beauty saved and inspired me”.

Although the story is superficially light, there are two underlying ideas which are quite profound. The first is - don’t expect to understand your children and make expectations for them. The second is - be a bit selfish when the children have flown the nest, and do what you want to do, not what the family or society expect you to do.

I loved the idea of slipping in recipes. You felt like heading for the kitchen to try them out, before heading to the computer to look for French property sale sites!

The final two sentences were the final flash of humour, bringing the book full circle! (don’t look, read the book first!)

Greenfinch Tue 17-Mar-15 18:53:58

I have just started the book and thoroughly enjoyed the first chapter but also feel the grandchildren are OTT. Are they based on any children in particular or merely imaginary ?

baubles Tue 17-Mar-15 19:07:30

Hello Celia, I've very much enjoyed your film & TV performances over the years.

I'm another one who just can't believe in those unpleasant children I'm afraid. I do hope they aren't based on real children. I did like your descriptions of the sun kissed villages, I could imagine being there enjoying the heat.

glammanana Tue 17-Mar-15 23:03:02

Hello there Celia,What a delightful book,I was awake for a few nights reading it and fully engrossed by the characters all so full of themselves and their importance a really good description of some of the Brits you meet abroad,we meet them all in every capacity when we lived abroad did you ever meet any face to face or where they friends of friends or imaginary aquaintances. ?
I have enjoyed all your film and TV work and love your style you always look so elegant in your appearance but the fun side of you shines through,best of luck with any future writings I hope to read your work again soon. X Glamma x

merlotgran Wed 18-Mar-15 09:14:03

Hi Celia, I wasn't sure if I would enjoy Not Quite Nice at the beginning and in the real world, if Theresa had come on to Gransnet asking for advice on how to handle those horrible grandchildren - not to mention their mother, she would have received some very entertaining replies!!

Once the characters in France began to develop, however, it became a delightful read. Thank you.

Last year I read your autobiography The Happy Hoofer which I enjoyed immensely, especially the part covering your house hunting on the Isle of Wight. I come from Ventnor and was amazed when I realised you were actually viewing my old family home - the one where Karl Marx had lived for a short time (blue plaque on wall) I was sorry you didn't buy it!!

Do you still have a house in Cowes?

Many thanks for all your wonderful character parts in films and TV.

Pittcity Wed 18-Mar-15 11:54:39

Haven't had a chance to read your book yet , but am looking forward to it.

You have acted with a lot of heartthrobs over the years and I would like to ask who was your favourite. I would narrow the field down to Richard Gere, Colin Firth or Victoria Wood!

Teetime Wed 18-Mar-15 14:39:41

I'm enjoying the book and always enjoy your acting work - loved Miss Babs!!

Jane10 Thu 19-Mar-15 10:14:45

I have read the book and have a few comments:
1) I agree with another poster that somehow the relationship with the daughter didn't ring true and the grandchildren seemed cartoonish.
2)The whole thing felt a bit "Exotic Marigold Hotel on sea" ie the exploits of a group of older people. Fair enough. Its a sort of grown up chick lit. Wonder what that genre should be called?
3) Finally I was struck by the number of typos/spelling errors. Not Celia's fault I expect but dodgy proof reading/typesetting. eg Its hard to believe that Celia would include in the "Note on the Author" section that she once played "Miss BABES" in Acorn Antiques. Yes I'm being pedantic but the typos struck me so forcefully that I had to comment. Something to check before a second edition maybe?

Was this book rushed out to coincide with the launch of the latest "Exotic Marigold film? Publishers eh?

gillybob Thu 19-Mar-15 10:21:18

Hi Celia. I have only just started this book and so far it is a really enjoyable read. Thank you.

My question is How did you come up with the characters of Imogen and the awful children? I do hope they are not based on anyone you know, and if so I do hope they are grossly exaggerated. Poor Theresa. How did she manage to raise such a hateful daughter?

NotTooOld Thu 19-Mar-15 10:45:14

I think your description of the children is, well, not exactly spot-on but bordering on the truth. We are fed so many stories of beautiful, well-behaved, loving grandchildren that we start to believe our own grandchildren should be like that and are then disappointed when they are not. I also like the idea that rather than moving to be near our children as we get old, we should think about a completely fresh start in life and move somewhere we would really like to be. Good for Theresa. It has certainly set me thinking.

mbody Thu 19-Mar-15 17:29:08

I loved Celia Immrie in Dinnerladies, Acorn Antiques, Marigold,elc. always professional and excellent so I was looking forward to reading her book. Unfortunately I found it quite amateurish and contrived which was a great pity as the start with the awful grand children caught my interest. None of the characters engaged my sympathy. Not one to recommend, sorry.