Gransnet forums

Webchats

Webchat: The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel's Ronald Pickup!

(22 Posts)
Lys60 Fri 03-Jul-15 21:02:00

Hey what's happened I've ended up doing two posts?

Lys60 Fri 03-Jul-15 21:01:02

Me too-cannot wait to see the next film. Read the book and saw the film first time around. D Moggach writes such good stories doesn't she?

Lys60 Fri 03-Jul-15 21:00:30

Me too-cannot wait to see the next film. Read the book and saw the film first time around. D Moggach writes such good stories doesn't she?

Oldgreymare Fri 03-Jul-15 09:33:20

A 'guest' having replies deleted..... whatever next?

RonaldPickup Fri 03-Jul-15 09:32:51

NanRex

Hi, I'd like to know what you thought of India? Had you been bfore the filming started and would you like to go abck again? I've always wanted to go but haven't made it yet.

I was hugely lucky to go to India at my age, not that age comes into it, but I felt tremendously lucky. The people are astonishingly wonderful – their work ethic is wonderful and they were always so eager to help. It is an extraordinary country but it is also a very challenging country. One moment you are experiencing incredible beauty, and the next such hideous poverty and deprivation, while always being in awe of the energy and people’s desire to help. In terms of visiting again, I am now 75 and there are still so many places I haven’t seen - I was very lucky to get a job to take me there, but I think I will look to new places and countries - I suddenly realise how little I’ve seen of the world!

RonaldPickup Fri 03-Jul-15 09:32:19

housecat

Hi Ronald, I would like to know what it was like to work alongside Judi Dench in Behaving Badly?

Ah well this was many, many years ago and the first thing I had done with Judi, though we had met once or twice before and have worked together many times since. It was terrific. She is just so relaxed and jokey, and she has a way of making you feel that you’ve known each other for ages. She is always ready for a stupid giggle, while never losing site of the seriousness of the work and doing the job well. She is immediately delightful.

RonaldPickup Fri 03-Jul-15 09:31:47

Peonygran

I've always found Aslan such a powerful character in the Narnia series ... how did you approach playing him for the BBC adaption?

A wonderful question. The thing that is most interesting is that it is now nearly 30 years since I first played Alsan and people still come up to me - I get more comments about Aslan than anything I’ve ever done – which is very sweet and something I’m very proud of. It is a wonderful script and story, but in terms of my approach with the character - having the microphone very close helped with creating such a wonderful purr for the friendly creature, so in that sense it was quite a technical thing. But it was lovely to do and lovely to read - the character wrapped itself around me.

RonaldPickup Fri 03-Jul-15 09:30:11

narrowboat

did it amuse you that your film pushed Fifty Shades off the top slot? I can tell you which one I preferred (and it wasn't 50 shades!!!)

On which note - if I am allowed a second question. Sex scenes - funny or embarassing to film?

It did! Not that I’ve seen Fifty Shades, but I get the drift…we were all very pleased! It depends on how explicit they are – if you are doing a love scene where it is hopefully clear that your character has a passion for your partner (their character rather than the actor!) then they are wonderful to play. If more explicit then yes they can be embarrassing, but I didn’t have to worry about that with this film.

RonaldPickup Fri 03-Jul-15 09:25:17

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

RonaldPickup Fri 03-Jul-15 09:24:32

melodee

Hello Ronald I have been a fan of yours for a long time. I wondered do you prefer stage or screen?

I enjoy both at different times and for different reasons, depending on what it is I’m working on. And certainly, when the material is as good as it is with the Best Exotic films then I think I prefer filming, but when I’m on stage then I like that too. When the material is good, and the cast is good and you feel that you yourself are doing a good job, then you enjoy whatever you’re doing at the time. At times there can be something a bit more private about filming, which can be rewarding, but then you get a buzz every evening when you’re on stage. Both are equally exciting.

RonaldPickup Fri 03-Jul-15 09:23:22

NanSue

We saw the second film and loved it. I actually preferred it to the first. We would to visit India one day and even more so after watching both films along with the TV series Hotel India.

Will there be a third?

Not as far as I know!

RonaldPickup Fri 03-Jul-15 09:21:22

Liz46

I also loved the first one but didn't manage to get to the cinema for the second one so will definitely buy the DVD. We have been to India ten times and I can just imagine it all really happening.

Did you have fun making the films? I imagine all the cast got on well together and had a laugh.

Of course it was great fun, and I knew all the cast from many years before – it was very hard work and great fun. I bounced around an awful lot on the tuktuk – which wasn’t always comfortable but exciting and dangerous fun.

RonaldPickup Fri 03-Jul-15 09:18:26

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

NanRex Tue 30-Jun-15 17:25:27

Hi, I'd like to know what you thought of India? Had you been bfore the filming started and would you like to go abck again? I've always wanted to go but haven't made it yet.

housecat Tue 30-Jun-15 14:37:31

Hi Ronald, I would like to know what it was like to work alongside Judi Dench in Behaving Badly?

Peonygran Tue 30-Jun-15 14:27:00

I've always found Aslan such a powerful character in the Narnia series ... how did you approach playing him for the BBC adaption?

narrowboat Tue 30-Jun-15 14:24:30

did it amuse you that your film pushed Fifty Shades off the top slot? I can tell you which one I preferred (and it wasn't 50 shades!!!)

On which note - if I am allowed a second question. Sex scenes - funny or embarassing to film?

melodee Tue 30-Jun-15 14:22:12

Hello Ronald I have been a fan of yours for a long time. I wondered do you prefer stage or screen?

NanSue Wed 24-Jun-15 19:22:12

We saw the second film and loved it. I actually preferred it to the first. We would to visit India one day and even more so after watching both films along with the TV series Hotel India.

Will there be a third?

Liz46 Tue 23-Jun-15 12:08:10

I also loved the first one but didn't manage to get to the cinema for the second one so will definitely buy the DVD. We have been to India ten times and I can just imagine it all really happening.

Did you have fun making the films? I imagine all the cast got on well together and had a laugh.

Joan Tue 23-Jun-15 09:23:25

Can't wait to see it - loved the first one.

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 22-Jun-15 17:06:27

Having enjoyed success as the box office smash of the spring (notably toppling Fifty Shades of Grey from its top spot in the box office charts!), The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel will soon be released on Blu-Ray and DVD, offering a trip back to the vibrant colours, sights and smells of an Indian summer in Jaipur.

The original stand-out cast includes Dev Patel, Maggie Smith, Bill Nighy and Dame Judi Dench, who this time round find themselves joined by the likes of Tamsin Greig and Richard Gere for a second dose of hilarity and romance at the infamous accommodation.

Also returning to star in the sequel is much-loved British actor Ronald Pickup, playing the character of Norman, who finds that even in his golden years he is still irresistible to the ladies! Ronald is a very familiar face on both small and large screen, with his acting credentials varying from Coronation Street and Call the Midwife, to Bond’s Never Say Never Again and Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.

To mark the release on 29th June, Ronald will be answering your questions about his experiences, the film, and his character, please post your questions below.