Gransnet forums

Webchats

Blythe Danner Q&A

(33 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 08-Feb-16 12:12:08

UPDATE: Blythe Danner has answered your questions further down on the thread here.

I'll See You In My Dreams is available on digital download from 22 February and on DVD from 29th February.

Actress, campaigner AND Gwyneth Paltrow's mum, Blythe Danner joins us for a Q&A to talk about her new film, I'll See You In My Dreams and life as an actress, mum and gran.

She's won two Emmy Awards® (and was nominated three further times, twice for her role on “Will & Grace.”) She received a Tony Award® (as well as a number of nominations) and her film roles include Woody Allen’s Alice, The Great Santini, the Meet the Parents trilogy, What’s Your Number?, and Sylvia, in which she appeared with her daughter, actress Gwyneth Paltrow.

Danner takes action to support causes that are important to her and has passionately advocated for environmental concerns for more than 40 years as a member of the Union of Concerned Scientists and other groups and serves on the national board of Planned Parenthood. Since the death of her husband Bruce Paltrow from oral cancer, she has also been helping the Oral Cancer Foundation raise disease awareness.

I'll See You In My Dreams - described as "‘A beautiful and smart coming-of-old-age film" - opens in UK cinemas on 12 February. It's the story of Carol (played by Danner) who, after the death of her beloved dog, starts to find the everyday activities that have given her life structure - her regular bridge game, gardening, a glass of wine or two- have suddenly lost their lustre.

She embarks on a journey to embrace the world again, by re-connecting with her daughter, striking up an unlikely friendship with her pool maintenance man and pursuing a new love interest.

We will be sending the questions over to Blythe next Monday afternoon - 15 Feb - so please add yours before then

BlytheDanner Fri 19-Feb-16 10:54:20

filmbuff

OK I am going to be the one to ask the question everyone is dying to know! What's it like being Gwyneth's mother?! (Very nice I imagine but are you close?)

Fabulous! It’s wonderful! She teaches me things all the time – she’s become an incredible mother and businesswoman. My hope is that as the children grow older, she’ll get back to more acting. She has an extraordinary gift, it comes really easily to her and she’s so good at it.

BlytheDanner Fri 19-Feb-16 10:54:48

damson

Hi Blythe have you and Gwyneth ever acted in something together and if you haven't would you like to (I thought she was fabulous in Country Strong)? Or do you prefer to keep work and family separate? Also the kinds of films you do are quite different so if you did do something together what would you like it to be?

We have! We’ve done three stage shows, a television show but we don’t ever actually talk about work. When we’re together, it’s usually family stuff that we’re doing that isn’t related to work. I don’t know why – we just don’t talk about business much.

BlytheDanner Fri 19-Feb-16 10:55:27

twoforjoy

Can I also ask what it was like to work with woody allen? I'm dying to know...

I’ve done three films with Wood. Woody is so funny – funny ‘ha ha’ but also, a man of very few words. He’ll tell you exactly where he wants you to stand and what he wants you to do and then, if you say a line that doesn’t sound like him, he’ll come over and do a reading so that you learn how to sound more like him. I said ‘oh, so you want me to do you?’. He has a particular pattern and flow. He’s terrific – there’s only one Woody Allen.

BlytheDanner Fri 19-Feb-16 10:56:03

KChristy

id just like to say thank you for your work with planned parenthood - i am continually amazed by the lack of sexual health services and support for women and am glad that tgere are people like you to help raise awareness and keep places like this - which offer services a woman should have the right to have access to - going. when and what made you get involved?

You’re absolutely right. It’s crucial, especially now that clinics have been cut. It’s a crime because they prevent not only pregnancy, but STDs and they have breast cancer screenings. They’re invaluable, especially for women who can’t afford to do it any other way. I’ve always wanted to get involved, ever since I was a young woman and abortion was illegal.

BlytheDanner Fri 19-Feb-16 10:56:32

Spidergran5

Do you think it's harder for women in film to stay in the business? Is ageism getting better or worse, in your opinion?

I think last year demonstrated that there are lots of wonderful roles for women and I do think it’s getting better. As we have a greater demand from the ‘baby boomer’ generation, more movies will come along that have roles for women of a certain age.

BlytheDanner Fri 19-Feb-16 10:56:57

emerald123

it looks a lovely film despite the fact that it reminds me of how cast adrift i felt ater my husband died. Wouldn't it be lovelt if there was a Bill around the corner for all of us??

If you want a Bill, go out and look for him! He might just be there waiting for you.

mikedurant Sat 28-May-16 11:55:00

Thanks for the information.