Gransnet forums

Webchats

Add your questions for the queen of British kitchenware, Emma Bridgewater.

(37 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 15-Mar-16 16:46:20

When we had the pleasure of meeting her a couple of weeks ago we were delighted when Emma Bridgewater agreed to join us for a Q&A. So do leave your questions for her before Tuesday 29 March and we will send them over to her then.

Since establishing her pottery business 30 years ago, Emma’s cheerfully distinctive kitchenware has found its way onto the dresser shelves and kitchen tables of homes all over Britain and beyond. Today, Emma Bridgewater Ltd is still owned and run by Emma and her husband Matthew, who continue to contribute designs. Known for quintessentially British patterns, Emma Bridgewater pottery is manufactured in Britain, with over 200 people now employed in her factory in Staffordshire.

The early family life which inspired the Emma Bridgewater business took place round the kitchen table, and that is still the focus of Emma and Matthew’s life with their four children today. Emma received a CBE for services to industry in the Queen’s Birthday Honours List 2013 and her first book, Toast & Marmalade and Other Stories was a Sunday Times bestseller when it was published in 2014.

Her new book is Pattern (Saltyard Books). Ranging about through diverse memories - from the children's bookshelf filled with Maurice Sendak, Beatrix Potter and Ladybird books, to family holidays on the North Norfolk coast or in the Scottish Isles; from cosy Paisley eiderdowns to Mary Quant patent white boots and citrus mini-dresses, to rummaging through antique shops and market stalls for bright crocheted patchwork blankets and groovy 1960s coffee pots - Emma shares the inspirational process of design that has taken her patterns to homes across the land.

EmmaBridgewater Fri 06-May-16 10:10:09

Alea

I heard you speak at Althorpe nearly two years ago and was impressed both by your energy and philosophy.
I wondered then, do you feel flattered (imitation is the sincerest form etc etc) by the many sub-Bridgewater spotty copies or are they just cheap rip-offs?
I should add that I love both your china and the fact that you have brought employment and hope to the Potteries and a cheap copy wouldn't cut it for me.

That’s so nice of you. I feel pretty confident that we are well known to people like yourself who can tell the difference between the real thing and a rather half hearted imitation. Of course being copied is jolly annoying and we take steps where appropriate but personally I try to remain philosophical and focus on the next new designs.

EmmaBridgewater Fri 06-May-16 10:11:23

rosesarered

I love my 'Tea In The Garden' E.B. Caketin, have one in the large size but would like a smaller one as well,do they come in differing sizes?The trouble is, it sits there on the unit and demands a cake inside it (as do I.)

Oh I do agree about a cake in a cake tin. There is a recipe for one of my mum’s favourite cakes in my new book ‘Pattern’ I, like her, love it especially for it’s name -Boiled Bungalow Cake - delicious honest. I’m afraid there isn’t a smaller size in the Tea in the Garden range. But take heart, there are so many other designs- Rose and Bee, Blue Hens, Hen and Toast and my favourite, Wallflower, coming in the autumn.

EmmaBridgewater Fri 06-May-16 10:11:45

whitewave

I purchased my first Bridgewater mugs - blue chicken - in about 2004 in the Dales whilst on a very hot holiday! Been buying them ever since. Would love a Cairn pattern!

I quite agree we always need more dogs and I’ll put it on my list, can’t promise you when but keep an eye out for new designs. If you’ve got a nice photograph of your Cairn do send it to inspire and remind me.

EmmaBridgewater Fri 06-May-16 10:12:42

Dartzie62

I love your designs and pottery; especially your mugs.
Will you be creating a special mug for the Queen's celebrations this year?

Yes we most certainly will, I hope we never miss commemorating any royal occasion as I have always loved commemorative china. We have two mugs available, a brightly coloured spongeware design in red, yellow and blue and a more restrained printed design in coral pink and dusty blue.

EmmaBridgewater Fri 06-May-16 10:13:18

Marmight

I have a cupboard full of your mugs, far too many really but I just can't resist them even though they have doubled in price since I bought my first one. I still have aspirations to acquire a teapot! Still saving up......
I remember many years ago reading an article about you(probably inThe Times mag) along with a picture of you in the kitchen with a baby sitting in an enormous coach pram, surrounded by your designs and pottery. Must have been very early days. You obviously still love your work; do any of your children take after you and will they eventually take over the business and keep it 'in the family'?

Definitely don’t stop buying the mugs, one always needs a few mugs. The last inhabitant of the pram is now 16- he’s probably the least interested but his older sisters are showing signs that they might get involved a little later on… but in the mean time I have no retirement plans. We have a great team so Matthew and I tend to focus mainly on design now, what a luxury.

EmmaBridgewater Fri 06-May-16 10:13:52

Stansgran

I love the designs (patterns)but don't like drinking out of them. They seem clunky on my teeth. Have you ever thought of using the same designs but using bone china?

Ah well this is a very personal choice and I have always loved earthenware best. Ever since Wedgwood developed Creamware, the better to show of those designs about 200 years ago, it’s been a Staffordshire speciality. Have you seen our new cup and saucer shape? I took great pains to give this a very fine lip and I do particularly enjoy using it.

EmmaBridgewater Fri 06-May-16 10:14:50

Buddie

I love the designs you create for your mugs. I am lucky enough to have one created for the Gardeners' World 20th anniversary and the design is deceptively simple.
Our craft group are soon to spend a session painting plates. I am very nervous about this as my crafting skills tend more towards knitting and crochet which can be unpicked if you make a mistake whereas you only get one bite of the cherry painting pottery. You must have to train people to paint designs and I wondered what advice you give to them and how they go about learning. Presumably a lot of work on paper before committing things to mugs and plates.

Relax, the first thing you need is a blade for scraping off your mistakes- I certainly always have one to hand when I am decorating. The technique of Spongeware decoration particularly addresses your anxieties because you hold the pattern in your hand and with just one sponge e.g. heart or polka dot, you can do something very effective. I love simple repeating designs and simplest is often best. If you can knit and crochet I know that you will have a lovely time decorating- don’t worry, just enjoy it.

EmmaBridgewater Fri 06-May-16 10:15:12

Jane10

Will you always stick to pottery? The items we've had seem not to be very robust and chip and break easily. As so much work must go into decorating, would you consider moving into porcelain rather than pottery?

I’m very sorry you’ve had problems with chipping, I have to say I have mugs that are 25-30 years old still going strong. Our china gets very heavy use and it really does seem to stand the test but I am sorry if that is not the case for you. All of that said whether porcelain or earthenware everyday china does take some casualties, no matter how careful we are. I have plenty of old battle scarred favourites up on a shelf where I can see them but don’t often use them.

EmmaBridgewater Fri 06-May-16 10:16:02

waldorfgrosi

Hi Emma. I am gutted that I can't get one of your pyjamas at M+S anymore. As usual they got it completely wrong with their sizes and have only 18, 20 and 22 left. Any chance I could get directly from you? So far I have only found an American website. Looking forward to your reply.

You and me both! This sold out incredibly fast and all the samples disappeared at lightening speed. The bad news is they are not doing this again however keep an eye out on our website because we are planning to pick this up.

EmmaBridgewater Fri 06-May-16 10:16:40

SwimHome

I've been collecting National Trust Garden Herbs design items for years by your MIL Pat Albeck. Has she been an influence on your designs or you on hers?

I think our work is quite separate but I am certainly one of her most fervent admirers. However it is fair to say that she and I, not to mention Matthew, do tend to respond to similar themes and the kitchen garden is a favourite place for all of us for design ideas.

cpndrake Sun 08-May-16 02:43:34

Tiggypiro I had this problem once , I eventually discovered that the person who made the tea was dropping the teaspoon in the cup rather than placing it in. over the course of a few months it caused the bottom of my cup to fall out. I of course replaced it and it wasn't until I saw the spoon being dropped in my cup that I put two and two together. I'm not saying this was the case with your cup just something to watchout for