Gransnet forums

Webchats

The Fast 800 - add your questions for Dr Michael Mosley

(60 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 15-Jan-19 15:34:27

We know that many gransnetters are fans of intermittent fasting, but there's good news for fans of the 5:2 - you can now have up to 800 calories on a fast day. Definitely easier than 500!

Dr Michael Mosley explains how it all works in his new book, The Fast 800 (more here and is happy to answer your questions.

So add yours here by midday on Monday 28 January and we will send them over to him - and pop the answers up as soon as we can after that.

Fitz54 Tue 15-Sep-20 17:36:30

Hi I have bought your recipe book. I’m so pleased with it recipes look delicious. I have 1 question on page 127 for Seasame salmon with broccoli and tomatoes, the calorie count is 403 per portion. I thought that was high so calculated it myself I get 316. Can someone check this please.

Snookems Fri 01-Mar-19 22:32:19

Hi Dr Mosley!
I’m wondering if one cup of tea with milk and one sugar a day on the Fast 800 will be ok if it’s within the calorie count?

lizzypopbottle Fri 15-Feb-19 15:06:26

Ha! I knew my question wouldn't be answered!

MichaelMosley Wed 13-Feb-19 16:03:10

shysal

I am planning to consume 800 cals on 3 days a week, eating within an 8 hour window every day. I don't have any blood sugar issues so would prefer to eat carbs in a balanced diet. Will I still achieve the same health and weight benefits?

Yes, nothing wrong with carbs, as long as they are the right sort. Try to avoid the white ones ie potatoes, pasta, rice

MichaelMosley Wed 13-Feb-19 16:02:32

minitess23

How to balance feeling like you need a "treat" on non-fast days with trying not to overdo it?

I think you need to try and minimise the treats. If it chocolate then go for a really small bar. If it is cake, then a small slice. Share desserts with a friend

MichaelMosley Wed 13-Feb-19 16:01:51

Chloe

Will taking tablets affect the whether your body goes into a fasting state? I want to try TRE 16:8 but have to take medication regularly (I can’t leave it 12 hrs or more) and I’m wondering if the body views these tablets as calories, rendering “fasting” from food useless?

No, it is fine to take tablets

MichaelMosley Wed 13-Feb-19 16:01:25

blacksheep

I think I eat quite well in terms of meals but I just cannot give up chocolate. A recent blood test showed signs of pre diabetes. Will this diet help me? If there is a way of still having a bit of chocolate I would be much happier but I am happy to make any other changes needed

Yes. Pre diabetes is the result of too much gut fat, which the chocolate eating is probably contributing to. That said I still eat chocolate. Sometimes

MichaelMosley Wed 13-Feb-19 16:00:48

toffeeapple

Hi Dr Mosley I just wondered whether the fast 800 has any particular benefits for women going through the menopause? I am 54 and like many of my contemporaries have put on weight, am struggling to lose it and my sleep is not good. I'm hoping that this might kill several birds with one stone and would love you to enlighten me

Yes, it seems to be particularly effective in peri-menopausal women.

MichaelMosley Wed 13-Feb-19 15:59:30

jamsidedown

Hi Dr Mosley, can you advise whether drinking tea and coffee with milk breaks a fast? I do so hope not as I don’t think I could go without my morning coffee and Black coffee upsets my stomach! Thank you.

Having a splash of milk in tea or coffee is absolutely fine

MichaelMosley Wed 13-Feb-19 15:58:59

Luckygirl

I have avoided these intermittent dieting ideas as I have gastritis and if my stomach is empty for too long I am in pain. Any ideas?

You could try The Clever Guts Diet Recipe book, which has lots of suggestions for those with gut problems.

MichaelMosley Wed 13-Feb-19 15:58:38

Lollin

Showing myself up here but what tips do you have to help someone actually trying to stick to such low calorie days, apart from going to bed as early as possible? I have had problems because life (family and friends and just being hectic so often) gets in the way constantly.

Dieting is tough and as you say, life gets in the way. I would recommend joining an online course, like the one available at thefast800.com, or a facebook group. You will get lots of tips and support from others.

MichaelMosley Wed 13-Feb-19 15:58:08

BBbevan

Dr. Mosley. I was diagnose T2 diabetic in early 2016. I thought "No way" , and immediately went on your Reverse your diabetes in 8 weeks, diet. I lost 2 and a half stone in that time and my blood sugar fell to 5.4 , since then I have maintained my weight and BS by a 16.8 fast on 5 days a week. Low Carb breakfast at weekends. Is this the way to go.? I find it quite easy really, but sometimes need reassurance that I am on the right track.

You are absolutely on the right tracks and many congratulations

MichaelMosley Wed 13-Feb-19 15:57:11

chrismum

Hello, is it OK for the fasting day to be from 1pm until 1pm the next day?

Yes

MichaelMosley Wed 13-Feb-19 15:56:43

Lazigirl

Do you think these type of diets are sustainable in the long term, as it has been evidenced that for any type of "diet regime", it can only be sustained for a period of time and then one returns to previous eating patterns?

Telly

Has there been any research on whether weight loss is maintained a year or two after following the 5:2? Or other quick loss diets come to that?

Yes these diets are sustainable and a big study was published recently in Australia where they followed people doing the 5:2 diet v a standard weight loss diet for over a year. Those doing 5:2 lost and kept off more weight, an average of nearly 8kg

MichaelMosley Wed 13-Feb-19 15:55:47

janeainsworth

I have not done the 5:2 diet, but I understand that there is no restriction on quantity or type of food on the non-fast days.

How is this healthy?
What if someone is consuming high quantities of sugar and other refined carbohydrates, or eating high-fat meals between the fast days? Or consuming very little fibre? Or not getting enough vitamins and minerals?
Thank you.

When my original book came out there were a lot of copy cats who wrote that it was fine to gorge on your non-fast days. I never wrote that. In fact I pointed out that gorging would undo the good. In my books there are healthy recipes for the non-fast days as well as the fast days. More information and recipes available at thefast800.com

MichaelMosley Wed 13-Feb-19 15:55:10

Urmstongran

Hi Dr Moseley - we have tickets for your Manchester venue next month and I’m really looking forward to hearing your views on this subject.
Can I just ask whether carbs are allowed on fast days provided the calories are counted in?

Great, look forward to seeing you in Manchester! I will be signing books, taking questions and chatting. Anyone who wants to see me on tour can find tickets and availability at michaelmosley.co.uk

There are good carbs and bad carbs. Vegetables and legumes, for example, are a source of “good” carbs, while donuts are “bad”. So, yes, I would encourage you to load up with veg on your fast days

MichaelMosley Wed 13-Feb-19 15:51:56

Lesleyann9

Hi Dr Moseley
There is a trend to recommend 800 calories a day everyday for people with diabetes to try and reverse the condition. What are your feelings in that. Icantmanage that but I feel Icould manage that for 2-3 days a week

Yes, this is based on a number of big studies. If you find 2-3 days a weeks more manageable then that is fine. It is about losing the visceral fat and the speed you do that doesn’t matter too much

MichaelMosley Wed 13-Feb-19 15:51:21

Katyj

Hi,I'm 61 with high blood pressure. Which would be the best way to bring it down.I'm doing the 5.2 at the moment, but do I need to do the 16.8 as well ? Thank you .

The 5:2 is a good way to bring blood pressure down, but if you add in 14:10 (extending your overnight fast to 14 hours) that will help. I think 16:8 is too difficult for many people to stick to

MichaelMosley Wed 13-Feb-19 15:50:44

yoyoyo

I have a friend who does 4: 3 instead of 5: 2 so she fasts for three days. Is this a good or bad idea or does it make non difference? Also should you leave a gap between the fast days if you are only doing two I think I would prefer to get them out of the way and enjoy the rest of the week

Sunlover

Is it okay to do two fast days back to back? I find it easier this way.

Katyj

Dr Mosley.Would it be okay to do 3 or 4 fast days a week ?

Basically you have to see what works best for you. We are all different which is why I am not going to be prescriptive. You have to find something you will actually do

MichaelMosley Wed 13-Feb-19 15:49:34

mumofmadboys

Have the recent studies in the Lancet stressing the importance of 30 g fibre per day had any influence on your low carb dieting suggestions?

No, because the diet I recommend is already high in fibre. If you eat the recipes from the Fast 800 then you will be getting far more fibre than the average Brit

MichaelMosley Wed 13-Feb-19 15:49:06

blackberrynana

I like the idea of the 5 2 diet but have never managed it because I couldn't make the 500 calorie limit work. 800 calories seems a lot more manageable. Is there a reason that it still works even if you are eating more? Also on the 5 days do you recommend a higher calorie limit? I assume that you can't go mad but I wanted to see if there was an ideal to aim for. Thankyou

See my answer above. I actually recommend you try eating a healthy Mediterranean diet on the other 5 days and not worry too much about the calories. Most people self regulate

MichaelMosley Wed 13-Feb-19 15:48:39

Grannyknot

Hi Dr Mosley, thanks for coming to answer questions on Gransnet.

What made you come to the decision to change the calorie allocation from 500 to 800?

Many people found they could stick to 500 calories for women and 600 for men, but others struggled. In the more recent medical trials they found that going up to 800 calories made little difference to weight loss and was still low enough to confer significant benefits

MichaelMosley Wed 13-Feb-19 15:48:07

shinka2

I have heard that intermittent fasting has lots of general health benefits, but I am not really sure what they are and why. Can you enlighten me?

They include greater loss of fat than on a conventional diet; reduced inflammation (helpful for rheumatoid arthritis); reduced blood pressure and, perhaps, improvements in brain function. The results of a 4 year trial doing 5:2 with people who are beginning to suffer memory loss will be available this summer

MichaelMosley Wed 13-Feb-19 15:47:13

Neenaw

Hello Dr Mosley, I would like to ask which is better for a) health benefits and b) weight loss...

The 16:8? Or the 5:2? Or is a combination of the two the most effective?

The 16:8 is known as Time Restricted Eating. It is a way of extending your overnight fast. So typically people who do it will stop eating around 8pm and not eat again till 12pm the next day. With 5:2 you are also restricting your calories, but only two days a week. Both have been shown to be an effective way to lose visceral (gut) fat and reduce inflammation. The 5:2 leads to greater weight loss, while 16:8 has other benefits, including improved sleep. The great thing is you can combine the two. My book, the Fast 800, goes into this in great depth. Most people will struggle to stick to 16:8 long term, which is why I encourage you to try 12;12 or 14:10 (having a 14 hour overnight fast)

Urmstongran Tue 29-Jan-19 10:24:23

Thanks Cari!