Gransnet forums

Webchats

LIFE

(7 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Mon 30-Nov-20 13:43:40

One of the charities does this. I think its Age uk. They phone everyday at a set time to check.

ginny Mon 30-Nov-20 11:41:26

We have a system with my MIL. We do see her a couple of times a week as we only live 20 minutes away. However each morning she calls DHs phone. Allows 2 rings and then cuts off. If she hasn’t called by 10 am then we check up on her.

shysal Mon 30-Nov-20 10:26:42

I have a system with an elderly single neighbour. She closes her kitchen blind before she goes to bed and opens it in the morning. We have had a few false alarms when she has forgotten, but on the whole it works well. I also time my morning walk so that I meet her going to buy her newspaper. The distanced chat is often the only conversation either of us has.

For me, DD1 texts each morning and I reply.

Sparklefizz Mon 30-Nov-20 10:25:40

I have set up a system with a friend. We exchange brief emails each morning. If I didn't respond, she would phone the landline and mobile, and then if I didn't answer, she would phone a neighbour who has a key or my son or daughter who live further away.

It makes sense to have some sort of safety net, and feels very reassuring. I have a much-loved cat and I wouldn't want her left unfed.

henetha Mon 30-Nov-20 10:22:09

This haunts me too Sparkles. It could easily happen.
So lately one of my sons texts or WhatsApps me every day.
If I don't respond he would know there's something wrong.
Have you got someone who would do this? I hope so.

MrsThreadgoode Mon 30-Nov-20 10:15:14

Years ago my Aunt used to have a red duster that she hung in her bedroom window, she took it down at night, her neighbour could see it from across the field, the thought of course was that if it didn’t appear the neighbour would dash across to check up on her. It worked for years, apart from a few times that it fell onto the floor......
Not sure if it would work nowadays.

Sparkles Mon 30-Nov-20 10:11:56

A bit down the other day as I live alone and am quite social so if I don't speak to someone for some time they imagine that I am doing something. However o because of 'Lock-down' obviously we see very few people which led me to wake up the other morning and think - suppose I wake up dead - who would know and how long would it be before someone asked. I read once in a newspaper that a person had been found laying dead for over a week so it does happen. Could there be a system that has a daily check on lone people perhaps.