Gransnet forums

Webchats

Daughter and family in Australia

(54 Posts)
Sleepless Thu 13-Oct-22 02:53:06

I’m new to gransnet and am a new Granny. My daughter currently lives in Perth with her husband and 6 month old. We endured the pandemic and were able to visit when the baby was born, they have also been over for a long stay this summer. They were booked to come for Christmas but (and I totally understand why) they have cancelled. My daughter is returning to work and they really don’t have the time and energy atm for the journey. My problem is I am knocked sideways by this and stunned by how miserable
I feel. We have a large family and two other children in the uk but right now it doesn’t seem to help. Every time a friend mentions they are ‘seeing the grandchildren this weekend ‘ or similar I fight tears. They say they are going to live in the uk again but I don’t really believe them, my son in law loves it there and so does my daughter although she is struggling with being so far away. Please don’t tell me to FaceTime etc - we do all the time and are always talking via WhatsApp. We will go out next year but the cost, discomfort etc is difficult. Added to which we can’t stay with them as they are in a small apartment so we have to pay for an apartment and we can’t go for a short visit due to the distance. We can’t afford to keep up these visits and also have other holidays with friends/family which if I’m honest I resent. I just wondered how other people deal with this and are able to reconcile it all.

BlueBelle Thu 13-Oct-22 05:25:23

You ll get used to it it just takes time My son and family have been in NZ 25 years now they re very happy, it is what it is, it’s their life
I love my son enough to be happy wherever they live it’s their life and I have never put any pressure on them
In the early days I d have a good cry and feel jealous their other Nan and grandad live around the corner from them but you have to accept it and once you accept it you ll find peace
Life is a about acceptance and letting go especially with those you love the most

Elspeth45 Thu 13-Oct-22 06:16:46

It's the opposite for me. I'm in Oz and my family are in UK. I havent seen them for 3 yrs, and I'm a twin! Travelling to UK in March, long long journey, but it will probably be the last time. Make the most of the family you've got close by.

BlueBelle Thu 13-Oct-22 07:13:44

Elspeth its even longer to BZ by a merry mile I don’t think I will travel there again it’s just too long a journey my son and wife are hoping to come next year but they have so many family to visit we are all scattered I ll only get a few days with them but that’s life and they are happy and that’s all that counts

Shelflife Thu 13-Oct-22 09:05:10

Sleepless, I understand your distress but if they are happy in Australia then that is the main thing. You are fortunate in having two children in the UK. Enjoy that !

Redhead56 Thu 13-Oct-22 09:37:07

Welcome Sleepless your daughter probably misses you too but her life is there for now. Knowing she is happy will give you comfort so for now enjoy what you have here ?

Lucca Thu 13-Oct-22 09:48:18

BlueBelle

You ll get used to it it just takes time My son and family have been in NZ 25 years now they re very happy, it is what it is, it’s their life
I love my son enough to be happy wherever they live it’s their life and I have never put any pressure on them
In the early days I d have a good cry and feel jealous their other Nan and grandad live around the corner from them but you have to accept it and once you accept it you ll find peace
Life is a about acceptance and letting go especially with those you love the most

Great post Bluebelle.

My son has been in Oz for 12 years. I cried so much in the first few years. I’ve visited and they have visited. Face time is good but it’s not the same. It’s very hard especially now for both me and him with my health situation.

Acceptance is all one can do, but I do still grind my teeth when I read posts on here moaning about AC living “so far away” when they are in Uk ! Or even Europe….

dolphindaisy Thu 13-Oct-22 09:52:45

My daughter also lives in Australia,she's married to a lovely Aussie with two adorable children. I accept things the way they are, I'm happy that they are happy, I know they have a great lifestyle. Please try not to let your daughter see how upset you are, it will make her feel guilty and she has enough to cope with looking after a young baby. Regarding the long flights DH always says "it's just one day" my main worry now is the price of flights is shooting up.

SueDonim Thu 13-Oct-22 12:12:52

My son has lived in the US for 20 years now. We generally saw each other every year pre-pandemic and hope to get back to that now the worst is over. We have three other DC in the UK and we have to make the best of it, really.

One thing you might consider, Sleepless is paying for at least one of the flights for your dd and family to come over to the UK rather than you visiting them, if the travel is too much for you.

Hithere Thu 13-Oct-22 12:20:39

I agree with make the most of the family and friends you have near you

Acceptance comes with time - despite the current challenges

Juliet27 Thu 13-Oct-22 16:07:33

As Lucca said BlueBelle’s explained feelings well. Both my son and daughter and 3 grandsons are in Australia and I have no other family here. It’s certainly a wrench but you just have to accept their choices and plan more in your own life. It takes a while but acceptance does get easier.

Btw - ? Lucca

Lucca Thu 13-Oct-22 16:12:37

Thank you

rubysong Thu 13-Oct-22 17:26:24

We have just spent two weeks in California with DS1 and family. They have lived there for nearly 10 years and while we were there he became an American citizen. It was somewhat bittersweet to help him with the questions he needed to answer. There was a sense that we are losing him but he is so very happy with his American wife and two lovely children, I had to feel glad for him. His American parents in law are wonderfully kind and think the world of him and he realises how lucky he is. They both have good jobs and a great lifestyle so I have to keep my emotions in check. We are lucky to have DS2 only half an hour away from us so we see them and our 2 UK DGC a lot.
It is a difficult thing to come to terms with but it does get easier with time. I count my blessings when I think of families I have found way back in my family history who didn't have Skype etc., just the prospect if an occasional letter.

lippyqueen Thu 13-Oct-22 18:38:57

My son lives in Oz. He went there 10 years ago and I have 2 grandchildren there. It broke my heart to begin with. I have a daughter not far away and 2 more grandchildren. I am so grateful for them being fairly close and try to make the most of them but it has taken me a long time to get used to my son and family being in Oz. They live pretty close to the in-laws. We have had some lovely holidays visiting them and seeing the country but have not been since Covid. I am so pleased that they have a great lifestyle but it has become extremely expensive and it is a long long journey. We communicate on face time but as you say it is not the same, with the time difference especially. I have got used to it but it is hard.

Jaylou Thu 13-Oct-22 18:54:47

Could you maybe meet halfway, so you have a holiday together? Rent a villa in a country that everyone would like to visit and all enjoy a nice break. Half the flight time and half the share of a villa. It could become a regular thing and everyone enjoys a break, and exploring a new country together.

Nannarose Thu 13-Oct-22 19:09:01

I know a number of families who do as Jaylou has suggested. But I really do feel for you!

frue Sun 16-Oct-22 10:17:32

Have you thought of housesitting. We use Trusted housesitters - sits available worldwide. Then you could stay for longer at reduced cost. Good luck - it’s hard even if they’re happy

AliBeeee Sun 16-Oct-22 10:17:58

Have you considered home exchange as an alternative to renting accommodation when you visit them? We have been home exchanging for over 25 years, home exchange is quite a big thing in Australia and we’ve had several exchanges there. No money changes hands (except for a small annual membership fee) and people generally ask for a stay of a few weeks because of the distance.

My stepson married an American girl and they are expecting their first child soon. That’s what we try to do when we visit them, rather than staying with them.

Maidmarion Sun 16-Oct-22 10:33:34

Great idea to meet halfway… trouble is, that would mean in the middle of the Atlantic for me !
I empathise with Sleepless, but I don’t have any other family nearby to help dilute the sadness of missing my family in USA.

Forsythia Sun 16-Oct-22 10:42:13

I’ve nothing to add except to say I’m in the same boat with one living in Australia with my only grandchild and another living in the Uk. It isn’t easy. We just have to get on with it. I found it very difficult especially when two particular friends used to drone on and on about their grandchildren, wonderful sons, daughter in laws, etc etc. I’ve solved that one by distancing myself a bit from them and making other friends who have kids living abroad, no kids, or no grandchildren. They’re not constantly rubbing my nose in how great their lives are. I found this helped me a lot. We are flying out soon for a visit and I’m not looking forward to the long flight but accept I’ve got to do it to see them. I sympathise.

inishowen Sun 16-Oct-22 10:52:41

I have a friend whose daughter and grandchildren live in New Zealand. Anyway my friend and her husband go to NZ to look after the grandchildren during the long summer holidays. It gives them one to one with their grandchildren and means their mother can still work. It's making the best of the situation.

twiglet77 Sun 16-Oct-22 10:58:59

My son, his wife and 15 month old son live in China. I haven’t met my grandson and haven’t seen my son for nearly five years. My daughters and their little ones are in England but one is 100 miles away and I actually hear from my son more often than from her!

Thank goodness we do have video calling available. Not so long ago we’d have been waiting for the postman to bring printed photos and video tapes!

Marmight Sun 16-Oct-22 11:28:40

OP. I understand how you feel but do try to not resent the things you cannot change! Life is too short.
Our middle daughter, the home bird who we always thought would stay close to us, has been in Australia for over 20 years. She married an Aussie and has 4 children who I have had to watch grow up from a distance, luckily with visits which as I age, become more difficult. It’s hard for her and for me and she gets very homesick from time to time when she can’t be involved in UK family events and has to watch from afar (especially when her Dad died suddenly) but, as her older sister says, somewhat callously, ‘her choice’. As the time passes, it becomes easier and so long as she’s happy, I’m happy. I probably have more contact with her than my other 2 daughters in the UK who are constantly ‘busy’!

Bluecat Sun 16-Oct-22 12:05:25

I find that the only way to cope is to try not to think about it.

My daughter, her husband and 4 kids emigrated to the USA in 2014. Since then, we have seen them once. We were going to visit them but then they got involved in moving house and it wasn't convenient. Then I got extremely ill and took a long time to recover. They came to the UK in 2020, just before Covid, for work and we spent a lovely week with them.

They have kindly offered to pay for our tickets to visit them but now my husband isn't well enough to travel, even if we could get insurance.

We Facetime regularly and I know they love us but we aren't top of their "to do" list. They have a good life there and I am very glad that they are settled and prosperous. They did talk about coming home but I never thought they would, and I am sure now that my daughter has a job she loves. They have dual nationality now, UK/USA.

Most of the time I can cope, as long as I don't think about it too much. If I let myself think about how far away they are, how the kids are growing up without us, or how much I miss them - I crumble. I focus on the fact that my other daughter and her 3 gorgeous kids live nearby and I am so lucky to have them.

I have often thought that there should be an organisation, even if it was just online, for the parents of people who emigrate. A safe space where all the usual things - it's their choice, you have to let them be independent, they have a good life - arr understood and go without saying. Somewhere that parents could talk about their sadness without being lectured.

nanna8 Sun 16-Oct-22 12:22:28

I was just trying to think of a good place to stay half way between here and the UK. It is more in thirds like Singapore or Kuala Lumpur is one third, Dubai the next third. Can’t really think of many places actually half way ! Perhaps Tokyo ? All those places are good and safe.