Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Volunteer as a Beanstalk reading helper to help a child learn to read

(13 Posts)
Beanstalkcharity Fri 30-Aug-13 15:05:50

Beanstalk is a children's literacy charity that recruits, trains and supports volunteers to work in primary schools with children who are struggling with their reading. We currently work in many parts of London, Kent, Birmingham and the West Midlands, Northamptonshire, the North West and North East of England, with plans to start working in Bristol next year.

Our reading helpers work with three children each for a whole year, going into school twice a week for an hour and a half at a time (half an hour with each child, twice a week).

We urgently need more volunteers to allow us to help more children when school starts in September. If you can make the commitment above and want a really rewarding volunteering experience that will transform the lives of children in your area, then please contact us for more information.

We need volunteers in all the areas in which we work but also particularly need volunteers from the following parts of London: Enfield, Edmonton, Walthamstow, Leytonstone, Hackney, Lambeth, Southwark, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Lewisham and Newham.

You can read more at www.beanstalkcharity.org.uk/reading-helpers and apply online at www.beanstalkcharity.org.uk/reading-helpers/how-to-apply, or you can call us on 020 7729 4087 for more information.

Thank you

Eloethan Fri 30-Aug-13 20:04:19

I filled in the application for this but, apart from receiving a "thank you" at the end of the form, I haven't heard anything.

Beanstalkcharity Fri 30-Aug-13 20:18:05

Apologies for that. Our Area Offices are closed over the summer holidays so that may explain the delay but they will be open again next week. If you call us on 020 7729 4087 on Monday we can look into what's happened.

Eloethan Fri 30-Aug-13 23:35:14

OK - thank you.

Beanstalkcharity Mon 13-Jan-14 13:50:00

We're really pleased to have been chosen as Mumsnet's Campaign of the Week this week - see www.mumsnet.com/campaigns/links-to-other-organisations. We urgently need more volunteers so if you have some time to spare to help a child learn to read, do get in touch - more info at www.beanstalkcharity.org.uk/reading-helpers or call 020 7729 4087.

You can watch a film about our work here: vimeo.com/81510937

Thank you.

Beanstalkcharity Fri 09-Jan-15 21:34:48

We've just launched a new film about our work - we hope you like it! If you'd like to volunteer as a reading helper do get in touch at www.beanstalkcharity.org.uk

vimeo.com/115081871

Beanstalkcharity Sun 03-Apr-16 16:26:24

Are you looking for a really rewarding volunteering experience that will help you pass on your experience, stay active, have fun and make new friends? Becoming a Beanstalk reading helper is a great way to do this. Watch our new film to find out more about how you can help inspire a child to read:

vimeo.com/156693660

You can also read some of our reading helper blogs to give you an idea of what's involved

www.beanstalkcharity.org.uk/blog/my-reading-helper-story-muriel
www.beanstalkcharity.org.uk/blog/my-experience-at-beanstalk

Beanstalkcharity Thu 05-Jan-17 16:49:43

If you're wanting to make a difference in 2017 as part of your New Year's resolutions, why not sign up as a Beanstalk reading helper to help local children learn to read?

Find out more and apply at www.beanstalkcharity.org.uk/Pages/Category/become-a-reading-helper.

(We currently work in London, Kent, the East and West Midlands, the North West, North East, Yorkshire and parts of Humberside and Somerset but are expanding across England)

TriciaF Thu 05-Jan-17 17:59:58

My friend's twin sister, aged 78, has been doing this for years, it's her lifeline. She lives in Devon.
I would certainly volunteer if I was in the UK.

GrannieBabi Thu 05-Jan-17 18:22:01

I have been a Beanstalk reading helper for several years. It is so rewarding to see the children grow in confidence ....and it is fun!! The children choose what they want to read and we play games as well. Seeing the same children for the whole school year gives you the chance to really get to know them. I recommend it.

cazthebookworm Thu 05-Jan-17 22:26:24

I enquired earlier this year and had a very nice email after I had completed the on-line form...I believe my name is on file for when they start working in my area, Bristol...hope so anyway smile

ninathenana Thu 05-Jan-17 22:33:16

I was a reading helper at a local primary school for several years but not under this scheme. I just asked at the school that my children had attended and where I had been a PTA member. They welcomed me with open arms.

Beanstalkcharity Sat 30-Sep-17 16:22:51

With the start of the new school year, we're now looking for our new intake of volunteers. If anyone is interested, visit www.beanstalkcharity.org.uk. We've started work in some new areas such as Norfolk, Suffolk, and Swindon, so do check out our website to see if we're in your area now.