Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Microvolunteering in your pyjamas!

(4 Posts)
Mikey Sat 05-Oct-13 08:46:56

I've posted before in another thread about volunteering in small chunks of time to charities and nonprofits, usually from your own home (in your pyjamas, if you wish), without having to give any commitment to the worthy cause you're volunteering for. Since that thread, I've found some other websites that offer microvolunteering or bite-sized roles, and I thought I would share them with you.

Reason: because I feel we seniors have a lot to give back to society, but sometimes we're not all able to attend traditional volunteering events. These bite-sized roles that can be done from your own home, seem a great compromise to me. Some of the links below are non UK ones, but because the internet is the internet, they can still be participated in from anywhere in the world - isn't that marvellous. I hope you find these links useful:

helpfromhome.org/ - over 800 tiny actions on offer from around the world's nonprofits, mostly unskilled, online / offline, can be completed in under 30 minutes

skillsforchange.com/ - skilled bite-sized actions on offer from around the world's nonprofits, all online, can be completed in 10 minutes to 2 hours

www.onebillionminds.com/ - pledge your help in under 1 hour to virtually assist do-good innovation projects in India

raise5.com/ - sell your voluntary services in bite-sized chunks (!), and raise money for charities

www.koodonation.com/ - skilled online actions with a Canadian focus, can be completed in 10 minutes to 2 hours

communiteer.org/ - just starting up, so is actually looking for people to sign up to it, so maybe not many tasks to complete yet

JessM Sat 05-Oct-13 09:07:14

What a great post.
I waded into a local planning issue last year and set up an e-petition and a FB page. I let other people tramp around in the freezing weather, collecting paper signatures! Writing letters to the press is another thing you can do from home. And then there is the joy of twitter. Just off to tweet about golden rice.

Nelliemoser Sat 05-Oct-13 19:49:59

I like this idea. A person can do abit when they can with no full tiem commitment. I had been doing squares for blankets with Knit a Square before my shoulders started playing up. I hope to get back to this. It is a very soothing thing to do and uses up spare yarn. The site "Knit a square" gives details of their 8" diagonally knitted squares.

annodomini Sat 05-Oct-13 20:31:32

Thanks for all that information, Mikey - and Nellie