Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Fancy some Retirement cash?

(48 Posts)
GemAVONWoolford Thu 05-Feb-15 20:45:09

To all you lovely Grandparents. Ever fancied a little side line/hobby? Saving for a Holiday, Christmas or do you just want to treat the family?
Do you love AVON?
Fancy giving it a go? I have a few full-time Grannies on my team and I would love a few more (granddads too)
If you live near the Bath area then contact me now for me info
[email protected]

Lorianne Tue 14-Jul-15 15:47:26

To all you lovely oldies out there, ever fancied a bit on the side?
grinblush

Lorianne Tue 14-Jul-15 15:42:28

How does she know we are lovely? I agree it sounds sickly patronising. Poor old dears like us should lap it up being in our second childhood and no doubt a bit simple with it. Yuk.

'Grannies' are people too!blushangry

kittylester Sun 08-Feb-15 15:10:26

But why is it fine! confused

Gracesgran Sun 08-Feb-15 12:33:55

Because they have decided it's fine?

Elegran Sun 08-Feb-15 12:08:17

Because it is the weekend?

kittylester Sun 08-Feb-15 11:39:01

Why haven't GNHQ told us why it is still here?

Gracesgran Sun 08-Feb-15 11:35:54

She mentioned exam marking too Janeainsworth. I did wonder if she is thinking ahead to her retirement rather than planning mine smile

Dara Sat 07-Feb-15 14:35:03

Don't live anywhere near Bath unfortunately. :-(

janeainsworth Sat 07-Feb-15 10:57:10

Gracesgran I saw an advert for invigilator vacancies with OCR on Cambridge railway station yesterday. It would have appealed to me but I am away too much to make a regular commitment to anything. There were also vacancies for exam marking.
www.ocr.org.uk/about-us/jobs/

Gracesgran Sat 07-Feb-15 10:42:06

I find it really interesting to know what work is available, not really for those who are also grannying but for those who are over pension age. My daughter suggested I look at invigilating exams the other day and it made me wonder what was around that you could do for just part of the year.

I have always thought of disingenuous as meaning deliberately naive - an oxymoron I know but it made sense to me.

Elegran Sat 07-Feb-15 10:01:17

So did I, granjura I thought the word meant naive, with a touch of intentional naivety in it. Either some "I don't wish to know that" in with the "but I thought . . ." or a bit of misdirection.

They are not posting about work and volunteering, they are placing an advert for a job. That should be in the non-member requests and paid for - any other advert gets the chop PDQ.

durhamjen Sat 07-Feb-15 01:04:00

I thought that disingenuous meant naive.

Eloethan Sat 07-Feb-15 00:07:15

Oh for heaven's sake, you haven't been accused of murder.

Ana Fri 06-Feb-15 20:16:47

Sigh...I will ask again

Please explain how any of the statements I've made on this thread have been 'less than candid or sincere'.

I repeat, the OP is not attempting to sell us anything and I stand by that. GNHQ obviously hasn't found any reason to delete it.

I honestly don't understand why I'm being accused of pretending that I know less about something than I really do!

GrannyTwice Fri 06-Feb-15 20:13:37

Sorry - by River

GrannyTwice Fri 06-Feb-15 20:10:57

Hhhmm- if I lied on an application form saying I had a degree and I didn't this would be dishonest but not disingenuous surely? I looked up some other examples of synonyms - hot and warm, funny and silly - I don't accept these mean the same. English is a very subtle, complex language and I agree with janea - disingenuous has a very specific meaning and was correctly used by her.

rosequartz Fri 06-Feb-15 19:15:04

disingenuous synonyms:

'dishonest, deceitful, underhand, underhanded, duplicitous, double-dealing, two-faced, dissembling, insincere, false, lying, untruthful, mendacious - and more'

I would have thought the above is rather a nasty slur on someone just because they disagree with your definition of something.

rosequartz Fri 06-Feb-15 18:20:08

Yes, I agree, we could have got some free samples first on the grounds that we couldn't possibly sell stuff unless we had tried it for ourselves.

I wanted some of that stuff that keeps mozzies away, but I don't need the facial serum as I am lovely already grin

Now you'll tell me that anti-mozzie-lotion is unethical and you would rather I got bitten to bits. sad

kittylester Fri 06-Feb-15 18:11:58

TBH, I'm sorry I brought it up! grin

janeainsworth Fri 06-Feb-15 18:10:39

Ana the OP was trying to recruit agents to sell things.
That is selling things by proxy.
It seems obvious to me, which is why I think it's odd that you don't see it that way too.
I'll rephrase the last sentence of my previous post.
In the context that Riverwalk used it, I think the word was appropriate.
I'm amazed that GNHQ haven't either deleted the thread or come on to explain that Avon have actually paid for this advert.
It's obviously Friday and they have wagged off early grin

Ana Fri 06-Feb-15 17:55:28

Oh, really janeainsworth? If you read the synonyms, 'dishonest' is certainly there. Please explain how any of the statements I've made on this thread have been less than candid or sincere.

I repeat, the OP is not attempting to sell us anything and I stand by that. GNHQ obviously hasn't found any reason to delete it.

I honestly don't understand why I'm being accused of pretending that I know less about something than I really do!

janeainsworth Fri 06-Feb-15 17:38:15

Ana Disingenuous doesn't mean dishonest.
The Oxford Dictionary defines it as
"Not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does"
I think Riverwalk used it quite appropriately!

Elegran Fri 06-Feb-15 14:41:29

Like the housemaid being interviewed who assured her new employer that, yes, she had fallen from grace and was an unmarried mother, but it was "only a very little baby, ma'am"

nightowl Fri 06-Feb-15 14:23:11

A bit OT, but I wonder what the OP means by the statement 'I have a few full time Grannies on my team'.

Is it possible to be a part time Granny, I ask myself, or is that like being 'a little bit pregnant'? confused

Elegran Fri 06-Feb-15 14:06:42

If the organiser gets paid for the sellers they recruit, then it is spam, just as much as it is spam if someone posts to send you to their commercial website where they hope to sell you something - or is getting money from firms advertising on that website and paying them per viewer who clicks or visits. There is more than one way of making money from the net, and getting lots of visitors is one of them.