Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Volunteering

(7 Posts)
dorsetpennt Thu 29-Oct-15 13:41:36

After a difficult year mourning the loss of a dear friend I decided it was time I pulled myself together. As an ex nurse the local hospital seemed perfect. I applied to volunteer at the beginning of September. Whilst I realised there was a process, I had no idea it would take so long. I've filled in forms, produced paperwork identifying me, gone to meetings and been interviewed. I'm still waiting and can't see me doing this until after Christmas. Whilst being aware that there is a procedure and its important to choose the right people. I know in the private sector I'd be up and running by now. Luckily I'm determined.

hildajenniJ Thu 29-Oct-15 15:23:50

A friend of mine went to her local hospital to volunteer in the coffee shop. She had to fill in forms and then they asked her for a DBS. She wondered if it would be worth her while, and worth the price £26 for normal disclosure, if they want enhanced disclosure it is £44. She didn't ask if the hospital paid for the DBS, and left it. She was thinking of volunteering in one of the local charity shops instead.

Liz46 Thu 29-Oct-15 15:30:55

I volunteer in a charity shop and thoroughly enjoy it. If you are thinking about volunteering, check on the manager. He or she makes all the difference. Ours runs a very friendly shop and always thanks the volunteers and makes us tea.
We have many regular customers who enjoy coming in for a chat.

kittylester Thu 29-Oct-15 16:22:25

When our local library was faced with closure the Parish Council asked for volunteers to help keep it open. The form asked for name, address, phone number, email address and what you'd like to do to help. Foolishly, I put 'anything' and I'm now on the committee! grin

LullyDully Thu 29-Oct-15 19:29:52

When I started at Homestart. I was given a week's training and they applied for the DBS and of course paid for it. It took ages to come because I have a common name. Should have been Fortisque Blenkensop.

I don't see why you have to pay for your own check when you are offering your time.

annekiely Mon 23-Nov-15 12:01:46

It would be very unusual for charities to expect volunteers to pay for a DBS check, which is essential if you are volunteering with children or vulnerable people.

Your value as a volunteer will be a long way above any costs incurred by the voluntary organisation or hospital.

Margi Fri 24-Mar-17 11:34:31

DH has been volunteering at our local hospital Trust for a few years now. He does "ward" inspections, from the point of view of a lay person, and can ask patients for their opinions and worries. He did have a DB check.
He recently decided to extend his volunteering to the local Community hospitals. He was asked to complete what looked like a job application, asking him if he had suffered/been immunised for many and sometimes unusual diseases. Apart from the fact that he did not know if he had had the common childhood diseases (men often don't) he was a tad upset by the officiousness of the whole thing. He did not complete the form but went for the induction with the agreement of the main office.
He then received a date for his first inspection. Less than 24 hours before he was due to set off (40 miles) he received an email saying they would not use him as he had declined to complete the form.
He loves doing the inspections, and feels useful (and he gets a free lunch!) They are short of volunteers for this at the local Trust. I dare say that the Community hospitals are even shorter!