Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Has anyone compiled a Business plan? for starting self employment?

(12 Posts)
bikergran Tue 26-Jan-16 20:23:26

Thanks Ana will have another browse through that, I'm multi tasking at the mo, trying to catch up with college work/jobsearch/look after my parents/ so burning the midnight oil at the mo.

Yes my plan is quite simple, therefore may not be enough to impress the Enterprise trust, they offer a loan of about 2,000 but has to be paid back, but I think initially you are given a course on book keeping/income tax etc etc of course I would rather just be able to secure a little job of around 16 hours as that is what I am looking at, as at 16 hours you are able to claim working tax credit think around £27 a week roughly.

janeainsworth Tue 26-Jan-16 20:11:11

I'm sure once people hear about you, you'll be booked up in no time!

janeainsworth Tue 26-Jan-16 20:09:32

USP = Unique Selling Point

What you are offering that other similar businesses aren't.
As gettingon says, there won't be any other cleaning ladies arriving by by scooter grin
If you aren't going to employ people, and you don't need to borrow money, your plan is quite simple - basically how you will market yourself.
?postcards in newsagents
?leaflet drop (you may need to borrow money for that
? Advertising in local magazines.
?use of social media - there will be local groups on FB and you can spam them with informationwink

Ana Tue 26-Jan-16 19:40:02

biker, have a look at the Cleaners thread, there are more supportive posts and ideas for you on that|! smile

bikergran Tue 26-Jan-16 19:35:07

Hi all and thanks smile for input.

The jobcenter are offering "Hyndburn Enterprise Trust" (hyndburn being my town) for anyone that has a business idea and wishes to contemplate starting up, I have read the reviews about this trust and must say it doesnt sound very inspiring!

I am only talking about me doing the cleaning , no one else and hopefully make enough to keep me ticking over (having been managing on £73 a week for 7 months, anything more would be a lovely bonus) smile

gettingonabit sorry what is USP ? Obviously I need educating smile

Thanks Nannaand Grumpy I will read your link (once I have done my jobsearch for today yuk!!) thanks again all..your a clever lot! smile

gettingonabit Mon 25-Jan-16 19:14:30

Don't forget your USP: cleaning lady on a scootergrin

durhamjen Mon 25-Jan-16 19:06:14

But I needed to borrow money from the banks, NanaandGrampy, so it had to be a bit of wishful thinking.
Both businesses worked, and we did not go bankrupt. You cannot put worst case scenario and hope to get a loan.

durhamjen Mon 25-Jan-16 19:03:01

I've just spent fifteen minutes going round and round the government website. Loads of links to the Princes Trust. I assume you are a bit too old for them.

NanaandGrampy Mon 25-Jan-16 18:55:38

I agree the banks used to have them, Barclays was one of the best. I have to disagree about it all being wishful thinking Durhamjen done well it focuses you on the flaws in what you want to achieve and it should give a clear picture on the likelihood of success . I'm a big fan as you can tell smile

durhamjen Mon 25-Jan-16 18:46:07

I did, but it was years ago. I think the banks had the best business planners then. They were not too difficult. You can probably get one online from your bank.
It's all wishful thinking anyway. Guess how many people you want to clean for, or how many you want to employ. It might work it might not.
I am surprised the jobcentre do not have them as they are the ones who want you to go self-employed.

NanaandGrampy Mon 25-Jan-16 18:43:00

I've done a number of these for large businesses.

www.lawdepot.co.uk/contracts/business-plan/?loc=GB&pid=googleppc-buspln_gb-templateT1_a1-ggkey_business%20plan%20template%20free&gclid=CKyFp77OxcoCFSUewwodOCcG5Q

This link will take you to a template that might help you.

All the sections have a purpose , things like the SWOT analysis (strengths/weaknesses, opportunities and threats ) show you have investigated your market thoroughly.

Please feel free to pm me. I'd be delighted to help smile good luck!

bikergran Mon 25-Jan-16 18:35:25

I have googled "business plan" but they look complicated and more for bigger ideas!

When I mentioned to the jobcenter woman on Friday about my idea of starting my own cleaning business she was very keen to offer support, but then said,,well put down a business plan on paper and bring it in with you next week (which is this week now)

Has any body any advice how to put down a simple business plan.?
I presume it is The idea/the cost/the charges/advertising/obtaining clients etc .( I don't have clients as yet so not sure how I can justify any income )

Any ideas or advice would be welcome smile