Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Ignored by colleagues

(19 Posts)
Rosieonline55 Wed 25-Jan-17 17:20:32

We have a parking rota at work and spaces are allocated on a monthly basis so everyone knows who can park. Everyone sticks to the rota apart from one young girl who consistently parks when she doesn't have a space. Last Thursday I had a space but was late in due to a Drs appointment. When I arrive the girl had parked in my space even though she didn't have one. I spoke to my Line Manager and she asked me who was in my space so I told her. Now the girls has told the other staff that I "grassed her up" and 6 members of staff (all young) are ignoring me. They are in their 20's whereas I am 61. This is really upsetting me. I'm very annoyed with my Line manager for telling her it was me who told her. Should I apologise? I'm reluctant to as I don't think Uve done anything wrong! I could have let her park and gone and parked at the park and ride but then she would see me as weak and keep taking my space. Feel so unhappy!

mollie Wed 25-Jan-17 17:46:42

Rise above it! She had no right to the space so she's making a Trump-like fuss. Ignore them, they'll get tired of their silly behaviour. Someone needs to remind them that they are grown ups at work and not kids in a playground!

NanaandGrampy Wed 25-Jan-17 17:56:34

Go back to your line manager and tell her straight up - there is bullying going on on her watch!

You weren't 'grassing' anyone up you were complaining and perfectly within your rights.

Your line manager needs to nip this in the bud , you have no cause to feel bad at all and you are entitled to go to work without being bullied by your colleagues. If your line manager does not resolve this go to HR and tell them .

Ana Wed 25-Jan-17 18:03:56

I agree with NanaandGrampy. I know it might go against your nature to complain, but it's not your fault the girl parked where she knew she shouldn't have.

Certainly don't apologise! Whatever for?

br0adwater Wed 25-Jan-17 19:16:36

Your line manager mishandled this. She needs to sort it out. Ostracism is bullying and must be nipped in the bud.

whitewave Wed 25-Jan-17 19:18:19

Agree with everyone. Go for it!!

rosesarered Wed 25-Jan-17 19:39:45

Yup! Agree too, see your line manager and get her to speak to everybody about the need to park properly.

Jalima Wed 25-Jan-17 19:45:44

I suppose you could have asked the girl to move her car in the first instance, but what's done is done.
The line manager has handled this badly and needs to sort it out and tell them in no uncertain terms not to behave like this.

Rosieonline55 Wed 25-Jan-17 22:18:22

I could have done that Jalima, but I was pretty sure of the response I'd get, and judging by her behaviour and that of others, I would have been right. I'm a firm
believer in Karma so think I will sit it out and if things don't improve in a few days I will go back to my Line Manager.

Jalima Wed 25-Jan-17 22:35:55

but I was pretty sure of the response I'd get
Oh dear, it must feel very uncomfortable, little minxes.

Elrel Wed 25-Jan-17 22:51:48

They are supposed to be working adult women, not stroppy, bitchy, 14 year olds. Line manager sounds both useless and unprofessional in telling the young woman who had complained. As one who put up with far too much bullying in one post I think you should go higher.

Rosieonline55 Thu 26-Jan-17 07:11:59

Thanks for all your replies they confirm what I thought.

BlueBelle Thu 26-Jan-17 07:21:01

Do not apologies by apologising you are admitting you are in the wrong which you weren't
It's very difficult when you are so much older than all the rest I worked for a while with a little group of divis who used to wear their pink fluffy slippers under their desks paint their nails when no one was around and spend ages looking on wedding dress sites it used to drive me mad but they used to manage to smile sweetly and get away with it
I m sure I was seen as an old misery because I didn't join in

f77ms Thu 26-Jan-17 07:36:35

From talking to my DILs there is a lot of this kind of bitchiness and bullying from young women in the workplace .

They have all decided to gang up on you but were they `friendly ` before this happened ? Don`t let this get to you- speak up to your line manager and suggest that she has a word with this girl , it is her job to sort this kind of thing out xx

cornergran Thu 26-Jan-17 07:43:21

It's is horrible situation, closer to the playground than a professional workplace. If you can bear to sit it out for a few days as you say the tension may subside and the younger group may move the focus. Maybe the parking place cuckoo will annoy someone else. Having said that the manager should manage this, it's what s/he is there for. I'm wondering two things, how old is the manager and how experienced/trained are they? If young and inexperienced it's not an excuse but could be a reason, it may mean you need to go higher or perhaps to HR? I hope it settles soon and you can enjoy the workplace again.

Izabella Thu 26-Jan-17 11:31:26

How about named parking cones in the relevant spaces?

grabba Sat 28-Jan-17 14:24:06

It's called gaslighting. People accusing or acting as if the person in the right is actually wrong. Shifting the perspective and making sure others see them as the wronged person. This won't be the first time this woman has done this, possibly the first time she has had someone challenge her though. You keep your cool and wait it out ?

Desdemona Thu 16-Mar-17 14:34:44

Found this thread while browsing the forum, and was wondering if everything settled down for you in the end? I have been in a similar situation myself and it is not pleasant. x

Luckylegs9 Mon 29-May-17 06:42:36

I hope this has settled down. Your line manager needs to up her game the way she handled it, also deal with these bullying young people.