Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Finding work after 60

(6 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 11-Aug-17 11:49:42

We've been asked to contribute to a Sky News discussion on ageism in the workplace and how difficult it is to find work after a certain age. Jason Manford has kicked off the discussion here when his dad struggled to find work after losing his job.

Would love to have your thoughts and experiences on this?

Charleygirl Fri 11-Aug-17 12:10:25

I ended up with 3 part time jobs after I retired. I had retired in the September 2002, felt bored after the winter. Went out for a meal with ex colleagues, said I was bored and the person at the next table had been ear wigging, knew what I had done for the previous 10 years and before I knew it I had an interview a couple of days later. I worked there x3 days a week.

I also worked at the college as an exam invigilator. This work was not well paid and was sporadic. I stayed there for around 5 years.

One of my ex bosses got in touch with me and asked if I would to do the same job as I had done previously but this time on a private basis. I agreed and it was fine because I was paid per job, inspecting and then report writing. Not sufficient work for full or even part time but it suited me as it was maybe x2 a month. I was lucky because few people had the qualifications that I had so could not do the job.

I broke my ankle in 2009 so could not physically do that job but I was still hassled for 2-3 years in case I wanted to do more work. Anyway by then I wanted to stop working as I had had enough.

glammanana Fri 11-Aug-17 12:18:23

Lara I retired offically 6mths after my 60th birthday with a
full pension and private pensions so am comfortably off financially but I still needed to be doing something,I volunteered at a well known charity for 12 hrs a week and all went very well for a long time,my DD was the manager of the shop so things worked fine with regard to the hours etc.When DD was promoted to another much bigger store I took over the management 5 days a week but for some reason they thought I would still do this work for free,after consultation with HO I negotiated a salary and worked for them for nearly 3 yrs full time everything was on target for my sales and even above the average they expected most months,when the lease of the shop came up for renewel they let it go and I lost the job,at the time they where advertising for a part-time manager at my DDs store for 2 days a week but they wouldn't consider me because of my age 66,whilst I do not object to anyone else getting the job the fact that I was fully trained to do the job and understood the ethos of the charity leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

Grannyknot Fri 11-Aug-17 12:40:24

I retired from my FT job at age 65 because I'd had enough of the London commute. When people asked me what my plans were I would reply "Learning to live on less". But the project I had been working for said "We're not letting you go, you are too versatile" so I still work for them now, 3 years later, (at 68) on my terms. (Two days a week at first, now one day a week give or take - I probably work more than 7.5 hours a week for them). I'm happy and they're happy.

Last year in addition to the 1 day a week I independently picked up a short term project as a project manager for the public sector. I was astounded at the day rate and said I'd work for less but didn't succeed in my negotiations. (The 30-something interim management consultant who employed me thought I was quite mad when I said the day rate was too high). I didn't enjoy it and I shan't do anything like that again, it felt like a complete waste of time and money - producing a report that no one would look at again.

So I'd say there's work out there (certainly in the SE) if you're open minded and flexible and versatile. E.g. I taught myself about and now look after the social media accounts - Twitter, Linked In etcetera.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 11-Aug-17 14:29:40

Thank you!

dumdum Sun 13-Aug-17 12:10:18

Retired from Practice Nurse at 60, could have had a job subsequently in a travel clinic, but didn't fancy it. Started working as a volunteer in Chaplaincy at local hospital. Became paid staff when lead left, am still there, paid, as a 'Bank Chaplain' usually one day a week, sometimes extra bits. Cover holidays, study days etc. Suits me well, if I don't want to work, am on holiday etc. dont go. Simples!