Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

employment help (long but need help)

(7 Posts)
nanny2507 Thu 08-Feb-18 21:37:41

Hi

i currently work part time in a retail camping shop and i have been there 4 years. Since i started work there i have developed psoractic arthritis in my hands and osteoarthritis in my foot. I have applied for a couple of new positions that have been full time but asked if i can do a job share..each time i have been told "this role is full time". The problem is I am beginning to be unable t carry out many tasks at work and i,m beginning to feel utter rubbish. I need the money or i wouldnt work but i cant stand being bored. even serving customers is becoming hard as i cant pick up the customers change. Is there anything I can do? I would qualify for ESA as my husband works and as i work part time i doubt i,d get it under my own steam. thanks in advance

Jane10 Thu 08-Feb-18 21:51:55

The alternative to working isn't automatically being bored! There's masses of things you can get involved in. Its up to you.

MawBroon Thu 08-Feb-18 21:52:53

Just thinking nanny2507 that the physical assessment for ESA would probably pronounce you fit for work.
I know they did Paw when he could barely walk the length of his own shadow, couldn’t stand and had multiple health issues as well as an incurable illness.
Some sort of administrative job perhaps? Reception work at a health centre/vets or perhaps a teaching assistant in a school?

nanny2507 Thu 08-Feb-18 22:02:31

unfortunately not working would mean boredom for me...my health is so bad i cant do much... would anyone take me on?

nanny2507 Thu 08-Feb-18 22:03:05

but thank you for your responses smile

grannyactivist Thu 08-Feb-18 23:11:55

You don't have to give up work because you are becoming more disabled nanny2507. There are things your employer can do to help you to do your job.
www.gov.uk/if-you-become-disabled/if-youre-in-employment-and-become-disabled

nanny2507 Fri 09-Feb-18 08:19:01

thank you grannyactivist