Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Looking for an After School Gran or Grandad and Need Advice

(12 Posts)
JenniferC Sat 01-Sep-18 08:42:21

We are looking for to hire an older Lady or Gentleman who loves investing their energy and after school time with a very energetic and caring eight year old girl and need some advice. We live in Danbury, Essex. My daughters grandparents live in Germany and the North, although they have a close relationship, its too far aware for regular face to face contact. The only requirements of this job are patience for homework, stamina to keep up with said eight year old and to cook her a snack and dinner at at our house (I work from home so will be there too but locked away in the office). Working hours would be 3 until 7.30 each day. Can anyone recommend how I can post this as an advert (without it sounding a little strange?).

PECS Sat 01-Sep-18 09:08:45

I think you need to advertise for an afterschool "granny nanny" ! Then list your requirements, need for enhanced CRB and what you sre willing to pay! I had a more mature woman to look after my daughters after school when thdy were 10 & 12.

MawBroon Sat 01-Sep-18 09:14:16

It depends on what you class as “elderly” for an energetic 8 year old!
I appreciate that working from home is not necessarily compatible with care of small children but could an 8 year old not get on with her homework? Not sure what you mean by “locked away” in your office but you need a nanny or childminder, not a surrogate Grandparent.
Have you tried nanny agencies?

JenniferC Sat 01-Sep-18 09:23:51

Hi PECS - sound advice; thank you so much, Ill get on to it now.

Hi MawBroon (love that name!) - thanks for responding. Not elderly, just older (well unless elderly and energetic). I cant expect an eight year old to do spend 3 hours of homework (normally it only takes 30 mins, inc piano practise). No surrogate grandparent needed as she has her own and we would obvs pay the individual for their time. Locked away means that I will be working in my home office so cannot spend "quality time" with my child during this time and need support. Im just specifically looking for someone 55 years old + to hire and I dont want my potential advert to sound strange which is why I wanted to ask on here for advice. Ill try the nanny agencies but the ones Ive looked at are mainly in central london, average age 30 ish. Id rather have someone 55 + and local x

trisher Sat 01-Sep-18 10:34:39

Why not use your local knowledge, if you have a post office do they have postcards in windows? Is there a WI they often have older members. You can get a CRB check done through a local agency -find one here-https://www.gov.uk/find-dbs-umbrella-body
The other place to ask of course is your child's school. They may have connections to staff who do part time support work and wouldn't mind some extra work.
Good luck!

BlueBelle Sat 01-Sep-18 10:43:10

Why elderly or old why not a young person wouldn’t your daughter have more fun with a younger ‘carer’
Are there no after school clubs in your area I know a lot have been discontinued ?
Maybe there’s a parent who would like to earn a bit extra to have her
I certainly wouldn’t look for a (stranger) gentleman far to worrying for him as well as for you just the kind of work that could be infiltrated

silverlining48 Sat 01-Sep-18 11:01:59

I think the poster is looking for a granny nanny figure as the grandparents live a long way away. you never know there might be a gransnetter nearby but otherwise look at organisations as suggested.
Good luck.

JudyJudy12 Sat 01-Sep-18 11:07:42

Has your daughter asked for it to be an older person? I would advertise and pick the best person for the job regardless of age .

OldMeg Sat 01-Sep-18 12:52:53

And I hope the person you find is DBS checked too amd comes with recommendations.

jeanie99 Wed 26-Sep-18 08:14:21

I would go with recommendations and not age specific.

PECS Wed 26-Sep-18 10:13:41

My DD hired a lovely person for 3 evenings after school for my DGDs. She was also a " house mother" at a local boarding school but duties there did not begin until 7:00!
When I looked for my girls the older lady was also willing to do some ironing too! Maybe adding in any additional work would help to find the right person. At this time of year many might be at the empty nest stage as kids off to uni...that might be an angle to use too.

JenniferC Wed 26-Sep-18 10:32:33

Thank You Pecs, we do have a few boaring schools nearby so will check this possibility out. Your advice is appreciated !