Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Looking for a Work From Home Job to do along side my Part Time Day Job

(35 Posts)
PinkSweetPea Thu 13-Sep-18 14:06:42

I work part time only 14 hours a week and I'm struggling financially. Despite searching for another job or more hours for the last 5 years I have found nothing, does not help that I don't drive and live in quite a small town and not many jobs about.

I have been researching work from home jobs and found some but when I apply I don't seem to hear back or no vacancies or based in US.

Any one any ideas or know of jobs that can be done from home, or even ideas for something I could do alongside my part time job.

Thanks

NannyGla Mon 01-Oct-18 13:29:42

Hi Pink Sweet Pea. I am 62 and sell children’s books. They are beautiful and Mums and children love them. I am self employed with instant contact to advice from a variety of people. I have made friends through this, including friends of my own age. I love what I do; it’s now my hobby and earns me money. I love the challenge and when the book# arrive it feels like Christmas. I work whatever hours I choose and when I choose. I have never done anything I enjoy this much. Feel free to make contact if you would like more info.

PinkSweetPea Mon 24-Sep-18 15:25:17

Thanks Situpstraight for reply. Don't think I would be any good at the painting, craft work, I'm not very artistic and have plenty of furniture myself that I keep saying I want to upcycle but never got it done yet.

I could not afford driving lessons now, wish I could drive would make life easier sometimes.

PinkSweetPea Mon 24-Sep-18 15:22:22

Willow500 - I quite fancy the virtual assistant idea, would be no good at accounts but have done conference bookings and other admin work before. Will look into it. Hope you manage to find something when your job ends.

Willow500 Mon 24-Sep-18 14:38:04

I think the virtual assistant idea is a good one - I've thought about this for myself as I will be out of work by the end of the year. Someone posted a link to another company some time ago so if you look online I think there may be other sites to look into. Typing itself is probably a thing of the past but if you've done PA work looking after someone's diary and perhaps conference bookings might work. If you've done accounts you could perhaps look into that - I know someone who goes round different farms doing their books for them.

Good luck.

Situpstraight1 Mon 24-Sep-18 14:22:59

How about buying cheap furniture from auctions, painting it and then selling it online? Auction houses will deliver and buyers can collect, you could buy and paint smaller items as well as chest of drawers etc. Shabby chic is still popular.

Can you sew, or do crafts? Again make things and sell them on Ebay or Etsy. This time of the year make Christmas cards, gift tags, lots of ideas on Pinterest for you to look at.

There are Proof Reading courses online too, but I think the days of a Home Typist have gone.

Might be time to get driving lessons?

PinkSweetPea Mon 24-Sep-18 13:08:03

Suzanne - thanks for your reply, the course is too far for me, but hope it goes well.

JackyB Mon 24-Sep-18 11:59:56

As a trained secretary, you will have a good command of English and you could see if there are courses offered for immigrants who need to learn English; they may require teachers. These jobs may, however, be on a volumtary basis, I don't know what it's like in the UK.

SuzanneNoble Mon 24-Sep-18 08:39:46

There's quite a few things you can do from home, but they depend on your skillset. Helping businesses with their social media, dog walking, life coaching, massage/healing. I run a Business Academy starting on Wednesday aimed at helping over 50s create their own business. It's on a pay-what-you-can-afford basis as we're a social enterprise. If you're interested in signing up (depending on where you live), we'd love to have you on the course. www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/advantages-of-age-6-month-business-academy-for-over-50s-tickets-48794331158

HootyMcOwlface Sun 23-Sep-18 18:59:59

Syd261 would you mind giving us a bit more info on that, sounds interesting.

notanan2 Sun 23-Sep-18 18:54:24

You only need to be a childminder I think for >2 hours so I think you can do school run services without being registered but I wouldnt personally as you might struggle to get appropriate insurance cover etc if youre childminding but not a childminder

MissAdventure Sat 22-Sep-18 12:14:10

You're welcome.
I just noticed that its a franchise, so probably not what you're looking for, but I'm sure there are other virtual assistant jobs.
Also, how about Avon?
You can sell online or have a round.

PinkSweetPea Sat 22-Sep-18 12:12:00

Thanks MissAdventure for the link,

PinkSweetPea Sat 22-Sep-18 12:10:30

Thanks Melanie, not thought of leaflet dropping will add that to my list to research.

JudyJudy12 Sat 22-Sep-18 12:03:22

Could you say on here SYD261, I am sure there will be many people looking for work from home.

MissAdventure Sat 22-Sep-18 11:45:06

The above is advertised on Reed, which is a respectable job site, just to give you an idea.
Or you could advertise yourself on Gumtree or Facebook.
Good luck. smile

MissAdventure Sat 22-Sep-18 11:43:18

Virtual Assistant Partnership

g.co/kgs/QjVrsf

Melanieeastanglia Sat 22-Sep-18 11:37:47

Leaflet dropping. I have known people do this and, as long as you're prepared to go out in all winds and weathers, I think this could be a solution. It may not be well paid.

Obviously, this can't be done from home but you said you were interested in doing something alongside your part-time job.

I hope you find something.

PinkSweetPea Sat 22-Sep-18 11:31:50

BlueBelle Thanks for your ideas. I would not fancy having lodgers I'm quite a private person but glad you enjoyed it. I did think about the picking up and taking to school as I live round the corner from a school, but I think you have to become a child minder now to do that. I will look into it more.

PamelaJ . I think there are rules and you have to be checked for the care services, but thanks for your reply.

PamelaJ1 Sat 22-Sep-18 08:34:10

I’m not sure what the rules are these days on offering a care service so I’m not sure if it would be possible for you to offer an ad hoc child/senior sitting service.
I was talking to a friend the other day who is trying to find someone to give her time off. Her mother gets daily visits from the care service to see to her personal care but when left alone she Potter’s around and falls over regularly.
My friend does go out but is always concerned at what she may find when she returns home and would gladly pay for peace of mind however doesn’t have a regular routine.
We provide occasional pick ups from school for my DGS but we go away to visit our DD in Aus. so a stand in would be wonderful.

BlueBelle Sat 22-Sep-18 08:08:38

pinksweetpea buy a pack of plain postcards and advertise in shop windows or supermarket boards for home typing jobs especially things like CVs, you can google good ways of writing up CVS is baby sitting an option or collecting kids from school (although I think you have to be police checked now for that) are their any old folks nearby want gardens tidied Do you have a spare room for a lodger When times were low I advertised at the local FE college and had short term overseas students sometimes a week or a month It was some of the best times I ever had so much variety and stories to hear I had people from as far as Alaska to Ethiopia and you can be as involved or distant as you want Some literally want a room to sleep in others are happy to be part of a family home it’s up to you want you offer what about an Avon round a lot is done online now
I too only have a cycle but you can do such a lot with a cycle I still at my ‘advanced’ age do my weekly shop on my cycle two deep paniers and a front basket, bag on my back if needed
Not sure what Syd is offering as it seems a bit secretive but NEVER take on home work that involves any upfront payment

Syd261 Sat 22-Sep-18 00:34:54

I totally understand your frustration as I had been looking for ages myself at something I could do from home since having to give up my part time job to look after my elderly mother who lives with me and also helping out with my 2 very young grandsons. I have found something that is working for me - no selling, no paperwork etc and I get paid every week without fail - it has made a massive difference to my income and doesn’t take a great time of time (we never have enough of that! ) . PM me if you want details and I will gladly send you something over

PinkSweetPea Fri 14-Sep-18 13:12:46

Midgey, I have seen a few jobs for companions or just a bit of support around the house, but when I e mailed about one of the jobs they said they wanted people who drive, which seems to be the norm with these type of jobs.

PinkSweetPea Fri 14-Sep-18 13:10:36

Scribbles - No not fluent in languages.
The typing work sounds more like what I could do as I'm a touch typist and have done secretarial work over the years, I did not think there was a demand for this work now as most people have computers and do their own typing, but will look into it, Thanks for the suggestions.

Scribbles Fri 14-Sep-18 11:43:25

Are you fluent in any other languages? Translators are always in demand, particularly in the less commonly spoken languages and if they have technical knowledge (engineering, electronics, etc). A hi-lingual friend of mine makes a decent part time income marking Spanish language exam papers for a major university.

Another friend with excellent typing skills supplements her income by typing up theses and academic papers for people at her local university.

midgey Fri 14-Sep-18 10:51:00

Have you thought of advertising as a carer/companion? There must be people near who just need a bit of company or someone to keep an eye on them, pop in make a cup of coffee and reassure family that all is well.