Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Volunteer- Read with children!

(5 Posts)
DoorstepLibrary Wed 02-Jan-19 14:01:30

Hello! We’re Doorstep Library, a charity instilling the love of reading in children and improving their education potential through teams of volunteers reading stories on doorsteps and in homes on council estates in Hammersmith and Fulham, Westminster and Lambeth.

Doorstep Library volunteers don’t just read stories; they do silly voices, handpick the books and give special recommendations. By making it fun first, we get to watch children transform into budding readers.
We also provide a bit of extra support, whether we’re passing on info about a family activity, lending an ear, or even just being a friendly face.

If this sounds like the role for you then please visit our website for more information about how you can get involved.

www.doorsteplibrary.org.uk/volunteer/

Or email Daniela at [email protected]

BBbevan Wed 02-Jan-19 15:54:46

Well that sounded just up my street. Unfortunately I live in Wales .

EllanVannin Wed 02-Jan-19 16:16:11

A brilliant idea. I'm almost sure it could happen anywhere in any school if you applied to the appropriate authorities. I can't see any school objecting to this kind of volunteer.
I would suggest to anyone who's interested to apply to their local schools as even an hour a week would be a start and also an added help to the teaching staff.
I'd do it myself if I was fitter as I'd love it.

DoorstepLibrary Fri 04-Jan-19 11:54:04

Oh no! Hopefully, one day we'll be able to run Doorstep Library projects across the country. Thank you for replying!

ninathenana Fri 04-Jan-19 17:52:21

I did this for a few years at the local primary school my children had attended.
I loved it. Such a worth while thing to do.