Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

How many jobs have you had?

(80 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Sun 27-Jan-19 06:09:27

This subject came up on another thread and made me wonder how many 'career moves' other Gransnetters have made.
I left school at 14 with no qualifications but have had so many job changes in my long life, some of them wonderful, quite dramatic and even dangerous.
It astonishes me, looking back, just how much I've achieved in 72 years and I'm not done yet grin

NancyBennVA Sat 23-Feb-19 13:57:56

I've had 10 jobs & had to adapt my CV to show the most pertinent so it didn't expand over many pages! However, the changes in role were not always my fault & after the 4th redundancy in 10 years, I decided to start-up as a self-employed Virtual Assistant instead of looking for a further employed post. Now in my mid 50s, being a VA is ideal to reduce stress & regain a good work-life balance for the next 10-15 years until I can retire.

callgirl1 Tue 29-Jan-19 18:00:06

I left school in 1959, aged 16. I worked as a GPO telephonist until 1964, then no job for several years, too busy having babies! I then worked the twilight shift at a local cotton mill for a few months, as a cone winder. I did a temporary filing clerk job for a week at another local factory, then one Christmas I worked the evening shift for a week at another factory, packing cloths similar to Jaycloths into their packets. I then worked as a packer at our local Boots warehouse for a year before moving over here, where I found a job in the box shop of a local printing factory, making up cardboard boxes, but was later moved to the canteen, where I worked for over 14 years until I took voluntary redundancy aged 49. Haven`t worked since.

lizzy67 Mon 28-Jan-19 21:43:48

NotSpaghetti - I do believe you could be right there!smile

NotSpaghetti Mon 28-Jan-19 14:09:03

lizzy67 - think they use superglue now!
grin

Reader56 Mon 28-Jan-19 13:41:06

When I add them up I’ve had five, all in nursing: my first job after training at UCH in London was Staff Nurse on the High Dependency Unit there, next was Staff Nurse then Sister on Medical and Surgical OPD. Left to have my first child (no maternity leave then, in fact I had to make my own maternity dresses or end up wearing a massive lab coat as I got bigger). Did a few awful agency jobs, then did my District Nurse training after 7 years at home with the children (which I absolutely loved), and worked as a DN in Herts for 20 years until I retired. Best job in the world, I totally loved it and also was able to undertake lots of courses and 2 degrees whilst working, one to enable me to become a Community Practice Educator teaching DN students. I’ve worked with some amazing people, and count myself incredibly lucky to have worked during the time when the NHS was at it’s best.

Suzyb Mon 28-Jan-19 09:43:00

I did secretarial work for 12 years for numerous companies until I had my first child at 28. Worked part time at a wholesale jewellers for a few years and then worked (firstly as a secretary and then through other departments) for one of the ‘top 5’ banks for 20 years. Only in my 50’s did I find the job which I really loved. My husband had a small telecommunications company and I went self employed training his customers on how to use their new business telephone systems. I eventually did the same for other companies and travelled the length and breadth of the UK for the next 10 years. I had no ties at this time of my life and just loved my job and the fact that I was going into new places and meeting new people every day.

BradfordLass72 Mon 28-Jan-19 03:58:33

I should just add that I've had more jobs than this: PA to a National Director of Social Services for instance and a quite a lot of journalistic and reporting experience but more details would identify me and I don't want to be blackmailed grin

BradfordLass72 Sun 27-Jan-19 22:25:48

I've read every word with fascination, thank you all.

My jobs have included: nanny and later foster Mum; teachers' assistant; collecting oral histories for the local council as well as Customer Service desk duties there.
Working for the Save the Children Fund during the Viet-nam war, re-settling refugees (and reuniting with scattered relatives in different camps in Hong Kong & Macao).
Auxiliary nursing aka dogsbody. Teaching English firstly to Indian and Pakistani ladies in Bradford, many of whom, as strict Muslims, were not allowed to leave their homes. Teaching cookery and food hygiene in the local polytech.
Working as a spinner in a woollen mill, then as an assistant librarian. Running our own fish and chip shop and later someone else's cafe.
In between I had a myriad different cleaning jobs, as well as delivering leaflets (taking the younger child with me when the elder was in school) Ironing as a paid job; as a cook in a private house; cinema usherette, anything to keep food on the table because my husband was sick and unable to work.
Tried unsuccessfully to follow my long-held dream of training at art school to be an interior designer not decorator) but too many family responsibilities so became a wedding photographer at weekends.
Taught firearm safety and how to assemble and disassemble a variety of different firearms - also how to reload (make your own ammunition). After learning how to be a bone carver, helped set up and staff a posh gallery in the CBD. Taught bone carving there and was a carver-in-residence at Te Koanga Exhibition in 1990. Also taught computer use to the Over-55’s at the local library(2000-2004) during which time wrote 2 books (Random House) about health and self-esteem.
In my later years, when I could still see and drive I was again a peripatetic English teacher with mainly Asian students. Worked in Te Kohanga Reo(Maori playschool) and Kura Kaupapa Maori(Primary)
I've also had numerous other jobs, mainly unpaid and still volunteer sometimes at a local nursery and adjacent food bank.
Like many others though my best, most wonderful job of all has been as Mum to my two boys.

PECS Sun 27-Jan-19 22:25:08

The early jobs were Saturday or holiday jobs as were the ones in care homes or as Christmas postie. Slimming club, toddler group leader and Youth Club worker when I was not working f/t as a teacher due to babies!

Paper round :14/15 yrs old
Shop Assistant: 15-18 yrs old
Baby sitter/child minder: 16-20 yrs old
Waitress:18 yrs old
Care home assistant :19 yrs old
Children's home assistant : 20 yrs old
Christmas Postie: 19-21 yrs old
Teacher x 6 schools 21- 44
Playgroup leader 25--30
Slimming Club Leader 27-30 yrs old
Youth Club Worker 27-30 yrs old
Headteacher x 2 schools 44- 57
OFSTED inspector 50- 60
Educational Advisor and teacher trainer 57-67
Supply Teacher 67 to date!

grannyactivist Sun 27-Jan-19 22:14:00

I notice how many of us had 'pre-career' jobs that we were just able to walk into and was pondering how different it is for young people now, then I realised that actually both of my sons have done the same. They've delivered papers, waited on tables, been kitchen porters, worked in retail and takeaways. Then one son worked his whole way through university as an activities supervisor for a Language School and the other was an outdoor activities instructor at an Outdoor Education Centre. Both have now embarked on their professional careers, one as an accountant and the other as an engineer and though they may move jobs I expect they will now stay in their chosen fields.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 27-Jan-19 21:59:32

Its interesting this thread, seems most of us did whatever so we could care for our children. I think its a bit different these days.

MissAdventure Sun 27-Jan-19 21:09:16

Oh you've had some interesting variety, lizzy.
I watched a programme that included embalming, and the stitching of the mouth was awful to watch.

lizzy67 Sun 27-Jan-19 20:55:58

Forgot this one - I did some training as an embalmer whilst in UK between Oz and NZ. Stopped after a couple of months because whenever I went home my hair and hands would reek of formalin. Also did not like sewing people's mouths up.

lizzy67 Sun 27-Jan-19 20:53:28

Hi everyone,
Well, like others, I too have had a lot of jobs. Started in a fruit shop, then worked a season at Butlins as a waitress. Then office work for a temp agency, more temp jobs than I care to remember. Got married and went to another town, worked as a clerk for the Gas Board, moved town again and worked for a solicitor (My second!) did factory work, had kids, worked for a furrier as a machinist, moved to Australia, worked as a promotional hostess in a posh Sydney store, at the same time doing various cleaning jobs, returned husbandless to uk and went on the dole. Also did some fortune-telling (no, not as daft as it sounds. You need to be a good listener, empathetic, non-judgemental, and able to counsel or entertain, whichever is required. Remarried, got an office job and worked also in a TV showroom. Moved to New Zealand. Worked again as a temp, then as a check-out operator, then for another solicitor, then in a car year. Next job was working as a telephonist for a large Polytechnic is South Auckland. All this time I was still telling fortunes and getting a good name for myself. I was very busy and never needed to advertise. Then worked in a bank, then returned to England upon retirement. Started writing books and have had 2 published, plus poetry and short stories. Really enjoyed my life, though it's had it's hardships.

BlueSapphire Sun 27-Jan-19 19:19:42

Only teaching, four different schools, until I retired. Then supply teaching in my local area, and part-time work attached to education centres at professional sports teams (rugby, football and cricket).
I have also taught children and many years later their children!

NotSpaghetti Sun 27-Jan-19 18:55:18

9 that I can think of - plus voluntary work. The first two were weekend and holiday jobs though. The holiday job was the same for 5 years.

Minerva Sun 27-Jan-19 18:38:45

When I’m asked this question I usually give the first, technical translator in a telecommuncations company, and last until retirement, 10 years reintegrating extra needs children into mainstream. When I read the question here memories came flooding back, waitressing in a Chelsea nightclub, teaching French and English badly in Spain, secretarial work in a British’s consulate abroad, teaching English a bit better in Japan, selling furniture, temping in London - everything from typing pool to PA in a government department. But best of all was being able to stay home as an older mother to bring up the children and keep house, doing all the painting and decorating, baking, sewing and vegetable growing and not missing going out to work one jot even though it meant scrimping and saving and never going on holiday.

Magrithea Sun 27-Jan-19 17:28:15

Depends if you count holiday and Saturday jobs - I've had 12 including these. 5 in my chosen profession, 4 holiday/Saturday jobs and3 others

Barmeyoldbat Sun 27-Jan-19 16:55:01

So many, everything from picking veg in the fields during my student days, an au pair abroad, civil servant in London, beach cafe making sandwiches and milkshakes, in a library, in a factory making wooden lamp holders, supermarket, reception at a hotel, dry cleaners, milkman, and countless other that fitted in with bringing up two children on my own. Trained as a shorthand typist when i left school so always had that to go back on. Later as an adult did af two year catering and supervisors course and then when computers came in a database and computer course followed by many years working in a computer environment. Last job was local government and Trade Union work. My children came first and my jobs had to fit around their care and needs. Wouldn't change anything.

Harris27 Sun 27-Jan-19 16:46:38

Left school at 16 worked in office married young had three boys then went into childcare did that for seven years then sales assistant for ewm for another sevenyears back into chidlcare been there 17 years! I'm 59 today so probably be there till I retire!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 27-Jan-19 15:51:15

I've lost count. Saturday job in a florists, then full time after leaving school which fell apart due to what we now call sexual harrassment, left after six weeks - too timid to complain.
My second was in a book shop for 18 months, then clerk typist for two years followed by agency work, assistant nurse in a psychiatric hospital, back to typing at various jobs. Then cleaning in a pub and offices and a school - a downhill trajectory I'm afraid!

GrandmasueUK Sun 27-Jan-19 15:14:18

Nursery Nurse in school attached to a hospital.
Nanny in UK
Nanny in Canada
re-trained in office work
Secretary in University
various temp jobs after children born
Student for 6 years
Teacher in primary school
Early retirement and now web designer creating literacy resources for primary schools worldwide which I love!

Anniebach Sun 27-Jan-19 15:12:27

One full time job before marriage, didn’t work when we had our children, after I was widowed and our daughters were so young I did many part time jobs to fit in with my daughters schooling

Bijou Sun 27-Jan-19 15:04:01

“Helped at the local”

Bijou Sun 27-Jan-19 15:00:07

After leaving school at 17 had two secretarial jobs before entering the WAAF. Then back to being a secretary for a few months before my daughter was born. When she was eight months old was made homeless so had to leave her with mother in law while we lived in a bedsit and I went back to work. Fell pregnant and was luckily able to get a flat. After that I never did go out to work. Did dressmaking and knitting for people. When we moved to house with large garden grew alll our veg. Made all my own and daughters. clothes, all the decorating, house painting etc. Did a lot in the WI arranging classes, and helped at the I think,local mental hospital. Helped elderly neighbours. Entertained Visiting French students. Was always there for my children who called me a walking encyclopaedia. My husband suffered from what is now classed as post traumatic stress from his experiences in the Normandy landings so needed a lot of moral support. Was always th
People say “0 so you didn’t go out to work”.