Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Considering being a volunteer...

(77 Posts)
GrannyOrNanny Sun 31-Mar-19 20:22:21

As I’m now doing part time work and I’ve found I have more free time, I’d quite like to volunteer. Any advice welcome as I have no clue what I’d like to do, what’s fun and interesting?
Thanks

emmasnan Sat 23-Nov-19 20:54:21

I am a volunteer on a helpline for parents. I work from home, very rewarding and I get to talk to some lovely parents.

Starblaze Sat 23-Nov-19 17:41:33

Volunteering led to me going back to college and starting a new career. So many interesting ideas on this post

Jaxjacky Sat 27-Jul-19 14:54:32

For the last 3 winters volunteered for local Good Neighbours scheme, driving predominately elderly people to Dr, dentist etc, winters only as we were in France during the summers. This year we are in the UK all year, so I have a part time paid job but also listen to reception class children read at local school for an hour or so one afternoon a week. School are very grateful, not sure about some of the children! ??

BBbevan Sun 21-Jul-19 21:09:42

Should say most UN welcoming

BBbevan Sun 21-Jul-19 21:09:02

Like Davila I had a volunteering job where the staff were most welcoming. As an ex teacher I expected to be useful within the school, but was employed in an outside part. I stuck it because the teacher I worked with was lovely. Most of the rest of the staff barely spoke to me , and one in particular looked right through me. I had hoped to be of help with fairs, sports days etc but no. My offers of help were ignored. I have just left.
So I suggest that any volunteer gets a good idea of what they want out of it and ask lots of questions before you start
I was not even invited to use the staff room.

crazyH Sun 21-Jul-19 19:48:09

I volunteered at the Citizens Advice Bureau. Very interesting and you learn so much as well.

Grammaretto Sun 21-Jul-19 19:43:08

I volunteer in the community garden. The time commitment varies. Now in the summer there is much to do . We support groups of adults with additional needs and school children. It's a huge place and we could do with more volunteers.
It's very satisfying.

Bordersgirl57 Sun 21-Jul-19 18:49:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

beautybumble Sun 21-Jul-19 18:38:11

Once a week I help out at the church lunch club for older people who go for the company and a nice natter. They get a 3 course meal and coffee/tea all for a fiver, or free to anyone who can't afford it. Its 4 hours of busy work, but I love it and the members always comment on the good food and how nice we all are. Great for a bit of an ego boost. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Elrel Sat 29-Jun-19 21:06:30

For almost 2 years I have been a volunteer supporting reading in a local school with the charity Coram Beanstalk. No previous experience is necessary, training is given and if you enjoying being with children I recommend applying.
A box of books and games is provided and the emphasis is on exploring them together,
I support three children twice a week for half an hour each, seeing them individually. Each child therefore gets an hour a week of one to one time which in some cases may be more than busy parents are able to provide. The children’s enthusiasm for the books is rewarding, as is seeing their reading skills gradually develop.
Volunteers are needed all over England.
Coram Beanstalk,
Coram Campus
41 Brunswick Square
London
WC1N 1AZ

Avor2 Sat 11-May-19 20:42:53

When I retired I started working in a couple of charity shops, but I wasn't keen on their ethics so went to volunteer in our local Day Centre for the elderly, I loved it, had lovely times with the "oldies" (I am nearly as old as a lot of them anyway) also worked in the office organising "home from hospital" visits. I then volunteered at our local Gardens in the tea tent, again great fun, exhausting, but got to go around the gardens. Try and see what interests you, If you like gardening some of the larger gardens have volunteers coming in, there is such a lot out there for you, go on facebook (if you have it) on your local area info and see what they have to offer. Good luck xx

seacliff Sat 06-Apr-19 20:49:01

Although you are offering your services for free, you should get something enjoyable from it. I am a Cat Protection fosterer, and meet potential new owners and the person giving up the cat, there are some sad and some very rewarding moments. . The run is in our garden, and is supplied and installed by the charity, they pay for food, cat litter vets bills etc. We pay to heat the run at night, and keep the cat until rehomed.

I also help at the Cat Protection stall at shows and summer fetes during the year, and collections at supermarkets etc. This is hard work but very enjoyable, we have a friendly group of volunteers. . We have lots of people coming up and telling us their stories about a cat they had from us, sometimes many years ago.

dahlia Sat 06-Apr-19 19:52:02

I tried various things since retiring 7 years ago. Some not so good (a charity where staff were suspicious and unwelcoming!), and my favourite with Age Concern. I visited people in their homes to help complete applications for benefits; I met some lovely families, enjoyed the clerical side of things, and felt I was helping someone. Sadly, work taken over by another charity and I was redundant. Now volunteer with our library, love it and had no training/checks, really just shelf-stack and help people - quite enough after a very stressful job!

FW1951 Sat 06-Apr-19 18:13:30

I volunteer at our local Hospice one day a week and do admin work. I’ve been there almost a year now and really enjoy it.

KatyK Thu 04-Apr-19 18:19:59

Until recently, I volunteered in a primary school helping 5 and 6 year olds with their reading. It was lovely. I got asked to help out on school trips and went to a castle, a trip to the theatre, Cadbury World, all sorts of things which I didn't have to pay for. You have to go through the police check thingy which the school paid for.

narrowboatnan Tue 02-Apr-19 18:02:14

I started volunteering at our local Riding for the Disabled group eighteen months ago. Finding walking alongside a pony and its rider too tiring these days, I am now my local group’s web site person and DBS form checker. Keeps me busy and I love it. If you like working with disabled children, don’t mind being around horses and enjoy being active I can highly recommend it.

Jaye53 Tue 02-Apr-19 13:33:11

To cuddle some puppies is my dream job.I am going to try find some animal charities to try and do this.must be some in UK but I live Lancashire so will be a task to find somepoppyfootball

4allweknow Tue 02-Apr-19 09:17:58

It can be fun but also involved as you are assisting adults who need help with their family situation. Homestart are usually looking for volunteers. They run training courses before you are assigned a family. I did 2/3 hours a week involved with several families over the years. I loved it, some of the children spot me out shopping and remember who I am. They were all under 5 years at the time so must have had an impression on them more than I thought at the time.
with

Carole28 Tue 02-Apr-19 08:14:49

My mother volunteers in a local theatre . They need volunteers to show people to their seats and man the shop. Lots of theatres do this. She has made lots of friends and gets to see all the plays ??

lapiqueta Tue 02-Apr-19 08:04:29

Try taking a look at the doit.org website it's full of volunteering options

kittylester Tue 02-Apr-19 07:59:10

I used to do that petunia when Witness Service was part of Victim Support and would agree that it is a really great way to volunteer. Our local mags court was being used less and less and our village library was being taken over by our community society so I became part of the group doing that instead.

I now help people Caring for people living with Alzheimer's disease.

petunia Tue 02-Apr-19 07:41:35

hi. I volunteer one day a week in our local magistrates court, supporting witnesses before they give evidence. I get to meet new people every working day from all walks of life. I love it when a witness has had a better time giving evidence because I was able to support them through the process.

Our initial training was superb and our “employer”, Citizens Advice, offer access to ongoing training in house or external.

At quiet times I can sit in with cases and watch from the public gallery. I find the process of the trial and the decision making around that case is fascinating. It offers great insight into the law and how it works

I also love contact with the other volunteers who are retired folk, law students and working people who work for firm which encourage volunteering. I would definitely recommend volunteering at your local court, magistrates or crown court.

Joyfulnanna Mon 01-Apr-19 23:57:37

Join U3A.. Lots of courses to keep your mind active

MagicWand Mon 01-Apr-19 23:19:44

When I started considering retirement I began to think about the parts of my job that gave me the greatest satisfaction. Personally I knew that my life would be poorer for the loss of these and so they were my starting point. I looked for a voluntary role that would give me the same sort of feel good factor.

While I realise that may not be helpful advice for everyone, you could also consider the things you really enjoy doing outside work and that should hopefully give you a good indication.

It’s also worth registering with the local volunteer coordinator as they may have things on their books that you would never have thought of.

Qwerty Mon 01-Apr-19 22:09:34

There is a charity supporting refugees and asylum seekers fairly near us where volunteers can join adults playing board games or help students teach them English. Local primary schools and churches with groups for under 5s are always glad of help too. U3A is popular for "fun" activities with lots of people as are book clubs and Walk for Health type walks. I hope you find some volunteer work and leisure interests to suit you.