Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Agggh..asked to donate to niece running Marathon

(52 Posts)
MaddyB Mon 01-Apr-19 19:24:30

The charity is wonderful and I donate to them at every opportunity. However the niece herself and her family are very well off indeed. I feel bad to not donate but they are all takers not givers. Sorry.

alibats Tue 02-Apr-19 10:55:23

I know you probably feel it's never-ending supporting charities and sponsoring family, but kudos to your niece for putting in the work, and it's very likely that her own parents have also sponsored her generously. As any amount is gratefully received anyway it can be as little or as much as you want it to be - you're in charge of that. You could always say that as you already donate on an ongoing basis you're just putting in a token amount - think that is fair enough, and nobody's going to think any less of you.

Marianne1953 Tue 02-Apr-19 11:05:16

It’s very interesting headline about givers and takers. I have sponsored most of my family on various runs etc. However, when me or my daughter does a charity event, none of my family from either side are very forthcoming with their sponsoring. I’m disappointed to say the least, but I will carry on sponsoring them and eventually it may sink in that it should sometimes be rescinded. Give her the money.

HootyMcOwlface Tue 02-Apr-19 11:49:55

I don’t get all this sponsoring malarkey, what’s the point of running a marathon? Why don’t they do something useful like a sponsored gardening day, and help some old or disabled people with their gardening? Or a sponsored litter pick or something for the environment like clearing out an overgrown stream? Something useful to others? Running, parachute jumping, etc? meh!

Tillybelle Tue 02-Apr-19 12:02:59

MaddyB. I'm with Cherrtyree59 I don't understand what she is asking you to sponsor. People usually do these things for a cause which of course they tell you about.

My SonIL and DD started doing the Cork Marathon because their DS's Godmother died of Cancer. They formed a team and set up a funding page online where we could donate to the Cancer Charity. They made it clear they knew I was hard up but I had more cash then.

Since then they have been running in other Marathons and have only set up the sponsorship in the Cork one for the Cancer Charity. They have many friends and so they do raise a lot. But they would never ask for money for themselves! I think that would be a mortifying idea for them! Btw My sonIL was the first Marathon figure to compete within a ?(quick) time dressed as a Star Wars character! It was the Paris Marathon. I know the entry fees are high but setting up a marathon is expensive.

If your niece is just "raising money" without a cause other than herself I would not only not donate, but I would tell her what I thought! I find it hard to believe she is doing that though. Surely she's raising money for a charity?

Tillybelle Tue 02-Apr-19 12:06:36

HootyMcOwlface. I see your point very clearly! However, this is a way of using a sporting hobby to help others. Many people run to keep fit.

Tillybelle Tue 02-Apr-19 12:11:45

MaddyB
Does:
The charity is wonderful. mean that "the charity" is the one she is running to raise money for?
I don't see why, then, you can't see your way to donate to the charity through your niece's fund-raising marathon run. Just because her family are rich it surely does not stop you donating to the cause she has chosen to support? It sounds quite petty to me, to refuse to sponsor her, if she's raising money for a charity you do support.

Tillybelle Tue 02-Apr-19 12:18:06

Teetime. God bless your dear Daughter. I am so sorry to hear about your SIL. that is so very sad. It is a nasty cancer. I do hope she raises loads of money. She's a wonderful girl! I will say a prayer for her. flowers

merlotgran Tue 02-Apr-19 12:29:04

Three family members have run the marathon for different charities. The donations were collected by their 'Just Giving' pages so couldn't be simpler.

The hard work and dedication by marathon runners is what makes these events so entertaining to watch. You can get caught up in the excitement from your armchair having done nothing more strenuous than put the kettle on! Well worth a tenner in my book.

Last year DD2 did the Jurassic Coast Mighty Hike for Macmillan in memory of her close friend who died just a few months before. Nearly bloody killed her and I've begged her not to do it this year even though her sister will soon need Macmillan's support sad

I take my hat off to these participants. I don't buy into the mean minded 'funding their jollies' attitude of some people.

We should all be grateful that these charities exist and that dedicated, hard working people are raising money for them.

Just give her the bloody money!!

madmum38 Tue 02-Apr-19 12:39:27

My children all do the Alzheimer’s memory walk firstly for their dad and now in memory of him, the youngest was 10 when they started and now 16 but getting sponsored is so difficult, a lot of times they do it for next to nothing and it’s down heartening so if you are able to give anything at all I would think your daughter would be pleased

Mapleleaf Tue 02-Apr-19 12:57:10

confused
I presume the niece is running a marathon for the charity you support?
Therefore any money she collects will go to the charity?
The fact she is well off is neither here nor there.
I don’t see how she can be a “taker” if she is running a marathon for charity, which will have needed a lot of training beforehand, too.
However, the answer is simple, if you view her as a taker rather than a giver, don’t sponsor her, donate to said charity separately, but personally, I admire what she is doing, and very well done to her!

DanniRae Tue 02-Apr-19 13:23:23

So are you saying that well off people shouldn't do anything for charity? That doesn't make sense! As others are saying - she's running 26+ miles for goodness sake just give her some bl**dy money!! confused

Gypsyqueen13 Tue 02-Apr-19 13:23:50

I am confused - are you objecting to being asked to make a donation to the charity which will benefit from your niece’s marathon run? If so I am surprised to say the least. Your niece will not just rock up to the start line and set off. Your niece, who you say is a taker not a giver, will have trained for hundreds of hours to prepare her for 26 + tortuous miles. Could you not just give her a tenner and wish her luck?

Saggi Tue 02-Apr-19 13:41:48

I donate to 5 charities.... Sightsavers.... Asthma.....GOSH.....Age UK.... East Anglian Air Ambulance. Standing order every month. It’s enough, I refuse all others however worthy they are. You can’t do it all ... our money only goes so far.

JohnD Tue 02-Apr-19 22:51:05

My neice does marathons and always asks me and because she chooses good charities i usually donate. Ones I'm not too happy with I donate a lesser amount because i believe her actions in helping chatities is worth the cost.

eazybee Wed 03-Apr-19 10:11:25

I once was 'persuaded' into running a marathon, fun run, all five kilometres, and was showered with donations from the other members of my keep-fit class who had thought up better excuses first for not taking part.

Diana50 Wed 03-Apr-19 13:39:00

My kids and grandkids have run on these charity marathons, and in their case not only donation amounts, but also messages were posted for all to see. I suggest a small donation with a cheerful, encouraging message.

BlueBelle Wed 03-Apr-19 14:53:37

I don’t understand the problem it’s a charity you ‘approve of’ and shes your flesh and blood trying to raise money for said charity so why wouldn’t you support and donate to her
She’s not asking you to put money in her pocket is she?

stevej4491 Wed 03-Apr-19 21:55:09

When my 22year old grand-daughter ran the London marathon last year ,she started her serious training for it the previous October.She was out in all weathers keeping to her strict programme she had set herself,as well as her usual visits to the gym. The charity she was running for expected her to raise a minimum of £2000`. She certainly did'nt benefit from it apart from self satisfaction.My daughter put in many hours hanging around after transporting her to training and mini marathons etc.All in all it was family effort.

Anja Wed 03-Apr-19 22:25:57

It’s a charity.

jeanie99 Wed 24-Apr-19 19:13:53

I don't really understand the problem here.
Surely the money chased by individuals goes to the charity the fact that the runner is wealthy is imaterial.
She does not benefit in the slightest and to run and train for a marathon is not easy.

petra Wed 24-Apr-19 19:30:54

Seems you could be right jalima wink
Your post on 2nd April.

Sara65 Wed 24-Apr-19 20:21:09

If one of my nieces was running a marathon, I’d be so proud of her, proud of her determination, proud of her giving up so much of her time to train, and proud of the fact that she was a caring girl who wanted to raise money for good causes.
I think all of our family would be right behind her and making generous donations.
I’m sorry, but I don’t see your problem

DanniRae Thu 25-Apr-19 08:54:13

It's the London Marathon on Sunday and I wish Maddy's niece Good Luck and I hope she enjoys the day and gets lots of donations for her charity x

fizzers Thu 25-Apr-19 09:03:02

If you ar flat broke and can't afford to donate, or donate as much - then say so. The fact that they are loaded is irrelevant and if this girl is spending time and effort to train for a marathon for a good cause, then she is to be commended for it, unless of course, she is pocketing the donations - then that is another matter...

BradfordLass72 Fri 26-Apr-19 07:52:27

We do get some funny posts on GN. smile

I cannot for the life of me see what relevance the financial status of this girl and/or her parents has to do with the totally wonderful - and totally separate - issue of training for and running a marathon. Good on the lass!

Are the rich not allowed to help charities?