Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

going onto half pay

(13 Posts)
tiredoldwoman Wed 25-Sep-19 11:14:17

I'm in recovery from a knee replacement but can't get back to work as the other one needs doing . I'm waiting on an appointment for surgery and on a cancellation list . I hope it comes soon as in about 6 weeks I'll be on half pay and the thought of that terrifies me financially . Has this happened to anyone else ?

tanith Wed 25-Sep-19 11:19:20

It was 12 yrs ago when I was put on half pay due to having a hip replacement and waiting for I’ll health retirement to go through and I do remember I claimed something from the government in the interim I’m sorry I can’t remember what it was my union rep put me onto it. Someone else may be able to help with info.

tiredoldwoman Wed 25-Sep-19 11:22:40

Thanks tanith , I didn't think of asking our union rep . Great advice !

Sussexborn Wed 25-Sep-19 11:30:55

Might be worth contacting Citizens Advice to see if there is any additional help available.

A long while back my OH’s company slashed all salaries almost by half (except the board of useless directors). On a lower salary you will pay proportionally less tax.

annsixty Wed 25-Sep-19 11:51:23

So sorry to hear but when you are widowed and over working she you go straight into half your income and that only if you or your H had the foresight to pay into a private pension.
You just budget accordingly.
I am not saying it will be easy.

annsixty Wed 25-Sep-19 11:51:53

She not she!!

annsixty Wed 25-Sep-19 11:52:25

Still the tablet won't accept age.

H1954 Wed 25-Sep-19 11:57:25

Sorry to read that you're worried and obviously in pain! From past experience, when an employer granted full pay statutory sick pay(SSP) was paid notionally; at the point of going onto half pay the SSP became an actual payment. In effect, it topped up the half pay. Things may have changed but if you've paid National Insurance Contributions you should be eligible for some sort of payments. Good luck and I hope you're not waiting too long for the second new knee!

H1954 Wed 25-Sep-19 11:59:12

Just had another thought on this too, your HR department should be writing to you to explain everything in detail.

flaxwoven Wed 25-Sep-19 12:07:49

A family member had radiotherapy for cancer treatment and was too weak to work. The firm still kept him on a temporary contract and refused to pay at all. So I went to the DHSS (now called something else Work & Pensions I think), had to queue up at a desk and state the problem infront of everyone else, and was told to ring another number. Eventually he got about £62 a week benefits, but it was a big drop in money. Do you have a union? Otherwise try the Citizens Advice. On the other hand when my mother had to go into a nursing home in 1993 and we had to wait 6 months for the Court of Protection to get any money, the DHSS were very helpful, took me into a room with an adviser, so I could talk about the situation in private. They paid the fees for 6 months (although they do not pay the full whack the nursing home wanted). You say you are on a cancellation list - would another hospital nearby have a shorter waiting list? Otherwise a letter from your GP can speed things up sometimes, and that has more clout than you ringing up yourself. Hope all goes well for you.

jenpax Wed 25-Sep-19 12:21:51

You should go onto Turn2us benefit checker, put in your projected half pay sum and it asks for household details etc it will then calculate what (if any) benefits you may be entitled to and how to claim them

jenpax Wed 25-Sep-19 12:24:13

benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk

Eglantine21 Wed 25-Sep-19 13:05:43

It was some time ago but actually by the time I had paid less tax, less National Insurance, less pension contribution and no travelling to work costs I wasn’t that much worse off!