Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Does anybody volunteer/work in a charity shop?

(18 Posts)
grapefruitpip Sat 23-Nov-19 15:57:52

Both my self and Mr Pip are volunteers but in different shops.
The differences are quite amazing.

Who else enjoys rifling through bin liners?

Floradora9 Sat 23-Nov-19 16:11:50

I did for many years until the top brass started insisting on us asking people to register so the Red Cross would get the tax back . Every customer was supposed to be asked . They also started minimum pricing and some things ended up more expensive than when new. Another rule I objected to was no sandals to be worn . I expect this was health and safety but I gave up .

petra Sat 23-Nov-19 16:12:30

I do.
The majority of the time I love sorting the donations but there are times where I'm incandescent with rage at what people think is appropriate to donate.

This week we have had to spend £50 ( to the council) to take other people's rubbish away and we are only a small charity.

grapefruitpip Sat 23-Nov-19 16:17:17

Oh dear Flora, saying what intelligent, adult volunteers have to wear is not great.

BlueBelle Sat 23-Nov-19 18:05:25

Yes I do three days a week I love it I work in the children’s section sorting donations, checking that toys are clean and work fully, I have so much fun , I price hang, tidy and help customers
It’s my lifeline
We also ask customers if they want to gift aid with us never any pressure at all if they do it’s great as we get 25p in the pound back from the government which quickly mount up, if they say no thanks that’s great too
Never been told what to wear thankfully

farview Thu 28-Nov-19 14:30:49

I work in a charity shop for our local hospice...love it...don't do the unpacking/sorting..am on the shop floor...

NotTooOld Thu 28-Nov-19 15:15:45

Not me, but a friend did and loved it. Unfortunately she eventually left when a new manager was appointed who had favourites amongst the staff and caused much ill-feeling. What a shame. I did volunteer to help with a weekly coffee morning for the elderly once but quickly discovered I was resented as taking someone else's job!

petra Thu 28-Nov-19 15:25:44

Our shop only supports young people in our area.
We ( the staff) are very lucky in that the 'committee' leave it to us entirely. None of us is paid even the manager. We all decide prices, when to have a sale, what to put on eBay.

We all have keys in case the 'manager' can't make it. I wouldn't work for one of the big ones with all their rules and regulations and targets.

SillyNanny321 Thu 28-Nov-19 15:40:28

I volunteer in our local BHF & have done for 25 years plus. Not easy sometimes as you cannot get on with everyone but we are pretty lucky & no major problems.
I worked in libraries until medically retired but still manage to get in 3 times a week & sort the donated books. Cannot imagine giving up yet. We often get told we do not seem like a 'charity shop' we are too clean. Charity shop seems like a bad thing to some stuck up people but luckily our customers are not like that. Long may we all continue!

Auntieflo Thu 28-Nov-19 19:57:01

I have volunteered in one of our local charity shops for nearly 16 years now, and I love it.
We have a paid manager and two other paid, part time staff.
There are many volunteers, who all have their chosen days that they work, and they all work hard. All our profit goes to the day centre and helps keep it running.
I do not sort donations, but do often, with my co-worker, price various articles.
Could be clothes or bric a brac, shoes or handbags.
This shop is a true one off, not part of a big national charity, and so we do not have missives from afar, directing us how to run the shop. Peace all round.

Curlywhirly Thu 28-Nov-19 20:21:21

I volunteer in a charity shop one morning a week and love it. I mainly price things and am not on the shop floor. I have a lovely relationship with the other ladies who work there and have also sourced some really good bargains!

Sussexborn Thu 28-Nov-19 20:41:07

I volunteered for a couple of years before we moved here. The worst bag I opened had an expensive sweater with vomit all down the front!

I stopped volunteering when a new manager kept comparing our shop unfavourably with another in a more upmarket area. Not directly my problem directly but it suddenly came to me that I did not need the stress and bad atmosphere.

I did embarrass myself when commenting on how good it was to see a number of young volunteers - not realising they were doing community service instead of being on probation!

Fiachna50 Thu 28-Nov-19 21:02:52

I did for about 3 years. Left when a new volunteer started and decided she was 'queen bee' . I did approach someone for help with the situation but was made to feel that it was my attitude that was at fault. I don't know if it is a coincidence but after I left, a few others did and now the shop seems quite often to be advertising for volunteers. Perhaps it wasnt me after all. There were a couple of other things too. I became a bit disillusioned working for charity I have to say.

Fennel Fri 29-Nov-19 11:59:03

When I was in my 60s, post retirement I had several volunteer jobs which I enjoyed.
Then some new regs. came in, about registering (as someone mentioned above.) Probably connected to insurance. Just when I was going to work in a charity shop.
I wasn't happy about that - I think you even had to pay for them to say you were ok.
Two of my 'employers' ignored it, but it changed things. It must have put many people off volunteering.

hillwalker70 Fri 29-Nov-19 12:31:55

Can I ask those of you who volunteer in Charity shops what the safeguarding policies are please. I was in our local hospital charity shop recently, 2 lovely women working in there, both I imagine late 70’s early 80’s and tiny build, quite waif like. There was no one else around or in the stock room and it worried me how vulnerable these 2 women were if the place was robbed, it is tucked away and not on Main Street. Is there a panic button or other way of safeguarding volunteers when working alone in shops?

Sussexborn Sat 30-Nov-19 11:03:47

The one I worked in had a panic button by the till but if you were elsewhere in the shop there wasn’t any way of summoning help. There was some kind of telephone chain to warn of shoplifters. I was amazed that shoplifting was rife but didn’t really blame the volunteers for not wanting to tackle them.

I was thinking of volunteering again but it seems very convoluted now with forms as long as job applications and long waits for an answer. I was thinking of going in to the local junior school to help with reading but again it requires in depth forms and a 6 week course which would be difficult to get to.

Everything is made to be so complicated!

petra Sat 30-Nov-19 11:37:11

The only 'safeguarding' we have is that you can't work alone.
We often get close to breaking health and safety with the amount of donations we receive as that area is in line with the fire door ( there is nowhere else) Then we have to put up the no donations sign.

As for charities taking a while contacting you. I wanted to work with a local gardening project supporting adults with special needs. I was interviewed on site. I liked the place and they liked me. Filled in the forms and didn't hear a thing for 8 weeks. No thank you.

NotTooOld Sat 30-Nov-19 22:10:07

Isn't it a shame that volunteering is getting so complicated - health and safety, police clearance and so on. Obviously, many of us are put off as it all sounds like too much hassle. Wasn't David Cameron promoting The Big Society or somesuch before he dropped us all in it by holding a referendum?