Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Anyone used a retirement coach?

(16 Posts)
harry1960 Sat 30-Nov-19 15:49:17

Someone mentioned getting a retirement coach to me the other day to help plan. Has anyone used one? Good, bad, thoughts?

Bridgeit Sat 30-Nov-19 15:53:54

No I haven’t, but I see online that there websites for them, I guess you would need to check wither or not they subscribe to a recognised code of conduct.
Bank managers can also be helpful.

BlueBelle Sat 30-Nov-19 16:21:42

No and of course not why would I pay someone money for something I have to work out for myself it’s not exactly rocket science

harry1960 Sat 30-Nov-19 16:23:45

@BlueBelle - it may not be rocket science but it isn't the easiest decision! I just thought it would be helpful to speak to someone else about it, like an unbiased perspective - also not just about financial but the personal...

Pantglas2 Sat 30-Nov-19 16:35:42

I veered to Bluebelle’s viewpoint on this one when I was thinking of taking early retirement.

I looked at the financial aspect, the practical in terms of filling each day and then the emotional in how I would feel being ‘unemployed’.

Not sure that anyone else, paid or otherwise, can help with the last two as it’s such a personal thing to adapt to, but there’s an awful lot of info on line to give you ideas etc.

Nortsat46 Sat 30-Nov-19 16:56:14

I have a coach for work purposes.
As I was drawing closer to retirement, we spent some of the time at our sessions considering my options.

I guess it depends upon whether the concept of coaching appeals and whether you have access to someone whose coaching style and skill set you are comfortable with.

It works for me and I would recommend considering it, at least.

SirChenjin Sat 30-Nov-19 16:57:27

We have a retirement planning course at work (with lots of very happy looking people!) that covers the sort of thing you mention. I know from hearing from older colleagues that it’s felt to be very beneficial.

BlueBelle Sat 30-Nov-19 17:16:46

If it's financial advice banks usually have a free service anything else is each to his own depending on what means you have when you finish working, coaching is just making money out of your own decisions, which can be made by talking to yourself, your relatives, your friends.
If you like working look for community or voluntary work if you have plenty of disposable income then travel, holiday etc etc If you have hobbies throw yourself into them I really don’t see why you would pay someone money to help you make these decisions It just seems way over the top to me I m a simple guy don’t see the point in paying someone to make decisions for me

NanaandGrampy Sat 30-Nov-19 17:31:46

I used a career coach to help me make decisions about my working life so if you can find one you can work with harry I see no reason why a retirement coach wouldn't work too.

I found speaking to a 3rd party really useful in coming to my own conclusions. There is something about saying things out loud that clarifies things. So, if you think it would help you and can afford it - why not?

NfkDumpling Sat 30-Nov-19 17:33:39

I agree with Bluebell. Financial advice from your bank or a dedicated financial advisor. Personal help from friends and relatives. The main thing with what to do with your time is just to get yourself out there. There are so many opportunities for travel, volunteering. U3A, hobbies, etc. Just try as many as you fancy until you settle on some you like.

janeainsworth Sat 30-Nov-19 17:37:30

I went on a pre-retirement course. It was very helpful & made me think about and face up to things that I was avoiding.
The best piece of advice was to not commit to anything for 6 months, until you had a better idea of how things were going to work out & how you wanted to spend your time.

Floradora9 Sat 30-Nov-19 18:05:58

Friends went to retirement seminar and were persuaded by the speaker to invest a lot of money in a special bond . The bond lost them thousand of pounds which they could not afford to loose.

harry1960 Sat 30-Nov-19 18:30:02

Thanks @Nortsat46, @NanaandGrampy @SirChenjin - what worked well for you in those sessions? and what sort of things do they cover because my concern is that it could be fluffy?

SirChenjin Sat 30-Nov-19 18:32:55

Sadly I still have 9.5 years before I retire but I know from colleagues who have been on them that the cover the practical stuff like financial planning as well as adjusting to a life outside of work, relationships, etc. I can try and find out more details if you like?

Calendargirl Sat 30-Nov-19 18:35:18

The bank where I worked used to send staff nearing retirement on courses to help them plan for the next stage of their lives.
Unfortunately, they stopped doing this a bit before I finished. Cost cutting. Pity, I was looking forward to going back to the branch and bragging about how I was going to be filling my new leisure days!
I’ve managed to sort it out myself though.

Nortsat46 Sun 01-Dec-19 12:17:20

harry1960, my coach usually asks very open questions to prompt me to ask myself the most useful ones.
(I did have a separate session with a financial advisor for money issues, which was also useful).
But in my coaching we talked about what I want to do with my retirement -practical things including options for part time work, further study, volunteering, reviewing my skill set and updating my CV, interview skills etc. But also the emotional side of making the transition from a very demanding, complex role with a lot of responsibility to something less demanding and less senior.

I didn’t find the conversations fluffy, they were more of a rehearsal for the internal dialogues that take place in preparation for a big change.

Good luck, hope you give it a try and find it beneficial. ?