Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Software developers - any of you out there?

(44 Posts)
Shizam Mon 27-Jan-20 20:39:11

Dear all.
Does anyone have any connections with software development that may help a son? He has a 2.1 in computer science, has applied for 80 jobs. So far, only four have replied. He needs relevant work experience to get his CV zinging. Could do it unpaid. London-based. He’s been working hard, but just not getting that initial break into his relevant industry. Any contacts or suggestions would be much appreciated. He’s getting very downhearted. ? Thank you.

teresavillasenor Fri 11-Feb-22 12:52:58

What other platforms can you recommend?

Marriedwithkids Sun 19-Dec-21 12:55:24

My son worked at CEX part time when he was in college and because he was doing computer science he tested all the phones and tech stuff that came in. When he went for jobs after college in IT, he put this down on his CV and it really helped, even though it was basically a retail job. He now works for a multinational cloud computing company. Tell your son not to give up, there are other ways into the industry.

Alegrias1 Fri 03-Dec-21 19:48:58

A week MerylStreep. A week ?

rikkon Fri 03-Dec-21 19:46:21

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Alegrias1 Fri 26-Nov-21 17:26:25

spammers.

BlueBelle Fri 26-Nov-21 17:23:48

Oh whoops I hadn’t seen it before Why do these old threads keep getting resurrected

Alegrias1 Fri 26-Nov-21 17:17:18

Indeed MerylStreep, you did. I reported a spammer, now deleted.

Shall we see how long it takes to get going again? smile

MerylStreep Fri 26-Nov-21 17:15:00

As I said on the 27th of October.

Alegrias1 Fri 26-Nov-21 17:09:32

This thread is nearly 2 years old.

BlueBelle Fri 26-Nov-21 17:06:42

Is he on LinkedIn my grandson is in a totally different area of work but has found lots of opportunities opened after he joined and put his credentials out there
Or
Could he go to a recruiting agency and perhaps do temporary jobs in his chosen field whilst building up his working time (building blocks )

Alegrias1 Fri 26-Nov-21 16:22:52

Sadly, I know what SaaS is. And all the others.

GNers, you can consider this RaaS - Reporting as a Service smile

Reported.

FightLorry Fri 26-Nov-21 16:16:51

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

gregketch90 Fri 26-Nov-21 14:16:08

SpringyChicken Tue 23-Nov-21 16:53:29

That last post was intended for FightLorry.

SpringyChicken Tue 23-Nov-21 16:52:47

Maybe you need to contact a few software development companies and ask what they can do for you.

FightLorry Tue 23-Nov-21 14:07:58

Hithere Wed 27-Oct-21 15:19:32

Oops

MerylStreep Wed 27-Oct-21 15:10:18

I doubt if the OP is still reading. Look at the date of the OP
Jan 2020

Katie59 Wed 27-Oct-21 15:08:22

This is the story with half the graduates, there is not the vacancies at graduate level, those that do often work is in a different discipline.
He should look for work in an associated area, accounts, engineering, scientific and use his skills there until a better opening arises.

Hithere Wed 27-Oct-21 15:05:25

Has he tried to apply for technical support jobs?

He could also try to go to QA field.

ElderlyPerson Wed 27-Oct-21 14:48:19

Oh, and by the way, an idea of my own about writing a story. Start in the middle. Then it can roll. Later on, work out how to start so as to get to that middle bit.

And something I learned at Creative writing class, get the reader's attention tand interest to want to know what follows in the first sentence
So not

A quiet hotel, people are eating evening meal. A waiter approaches a lady with her dinner

But

"Argh, you've spilled tomato soup over my brand new handbag!" yelled Pamela.

ElderlyPerson Wed 27-Oct-21 14:35:46

A practical suggestion.

My advice, for what it is worth, is to be doing something as well as applying for jobs.

For example, learn desktop publishing, learn about creative writing, write something, maybe a science fiction story, produce a Portable Document Format document. Get it on the web. Learn about Legal Deposit.

My suggestion is to just pick up a pen and start writing on a piece of paper, even it does not seem any good.

Because doing it is an experience, the next attempt will probably seem better, then one thing follows another as one tries to learn about writing and wants to learn about writing and wants to express one's ideas.

The worst thing is to say "I can't do that" and not try.

Remember, every established author was once a new born baby.

Or maybe learn something complementary to your main subject. For example, a language such as Spanish, so that he has a rare skill combination that might be a perfect fit sometime.

A big paradox I found with jobs, from experience and what others have told me, is that often employers claim they want bright innovative creative people but the truth is that in practice they often want and most value the 'greys', people who 'fit in' with how things are being done already, and regard people who have the sparkle that they claim they want as problematic.

ElderlyPerson Wed 27-Oct-21 13:52:42

A 2.1 is a very high qualification.

Much higher than a lot of graduates get.

If someone with 2.1 is having a problem getting a job then it must be pretty bleak out there these days.

I know it is a long time ago but when I was young a 2.1 opened the door to many opportunities, such as eligibility for the possibility of a grant to study for a research degree. A first or a 2.1 was often a requirement for top jobs.

I wonder how graduates with a lower grade degree are faring.

markgilson80 Wed 27-Oct-21 12:27:25

rosecarmel Wed 29-Jan-20 04:00:35

Another suggestion (this will seem odd) - join a board games club. They attract people who enjoy solving puzzles and there's a good chance some of them will be in the computing industry. It all helps in making contacts.

Yes! SpringyChicken, very true! smile boardgamegeek.com