Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Making/sewing scrubs for NHS staff

(21 Posts)
Madgran77 Thu 16-Apr-20 07:23:47

Callisttemon good point...that is another reason for the shortage as well as what I said above

Callistemon Wed 15-Apr-20 20:34:23

paddyanne staff have been called in and there may not be scrubs for them. Extra are needed.
They are volunteering and putting themselves at risk

What exactly are you doing except constantly criticising?

Treebee Wed 15-Apr-20 20:22:20

I’ve sorted through my mother in law’s collection of buttons (she died in 2002) and found 20 pairs of 1” buttons. Also found some elastic and braid that I’ve passed on to a local sewer. I think she’d be happy to have played her part.

Madgran77 Wed 15-Apr-20 18:26:13

Paddyanne in this particular case re Scrubs the problem is arising not because there are not enough Scrubs for each member of staff to have an allocation under normal circumstances, but because the Scrubs have to be changed so much more than normal and so each person is using maybe 6/7/8 per day instead of maybe 1 or 2. On top of this the Hospital laundries are overwhelmed, can't maintain the speed of turn round because there are so many scrubs, so clean ones are returned more slowly. Staff are also asking for Scrub Bags which are also being made by volunteers so that staff can take scrubs home, and wash them in the bags without touching them

paddyanne Wed 15-Apr-20 11:18:00

Its disgraceful that this is needed.There should be enough PPE and scrubs ,the government had months to get organised instead they twiddled their thumbs and sorted out their hedge funds in anticipation of a deluge of cash ...Watching what was happening in other countries should have given them the chance to be organised ,and still the planes are landing and people dispersing to to all corners with no checks or isolation imposed .How many does BOJO WANT to die?

BlueBelle Wed 15-Apr-20 11:03:13

I can’t sew and have no sewing machine but I d love to do something
Just a thought would those thin plastic kagoule thingies that people take to festivals be any use if so we could all buy a few off the internet and donate

Alexa Wed 15-Apr-20 10:31:09

PS Unless the gown become wet or soiled .

Alexa Wed 15-Apr-20 10:30:33

Do isolation gowns have to be laundered after every attention by a nurse or doctor to a patient?

I'd have thought isolation gowns would hang in each patient's cubicle or room for the attendants to put on when they entered the room or ante room, and then disrobe and return to the peg when the visit is over.

Madgran77 Wed 15-Apr-20 09:11:23

I am already sewing in ...got a production line going and should be ready with some soon ?

ginny Wed 15-Apr-20 07:22:26

Have joined a local group. Will be sewing today.

BradfordLass73 Wed 15-Apr-20 01:51:17

I wonder how long it took someone to make this one?

vegansrock Tue 14-Apr-20 13:02:58

I have joined my local scrub hub and looking forward to making my first sets. I think the demand for scrubs is also coming from care homes and hospices.

Eglantine21 Tue 14-Apr-20 12:39:38

It’s the number of patients on CV wards and the scrubs having to be changed after each close contact. You can really go through a lot in one shift.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 14-Apr-20 12:35:42

I have seen this on Facebook. I've made headbands for a local group and hope that they're acceptable. I've run out of buttons and elastic so will make some more if required after stocks have been replenished. It's an enjoyable and useful thing to do during lockdown.

Hithere Tue 14-Apr-20 12:30:50

You inspired me to join a similar one in the US.

Ilovecheese Tue 14-Apr-20 12:14:03

I am with a local group. Have made headbands and wash bags. Going to start making scrubs hats. Using my own fabrics so some of them are a bit colourful!

silverlining48 Tue 14-Apr-20 11:45:39

Sorry, I don’t sew but hope those who can, will offer their help.
However while it is really worthy one wonders why this should be so necessary. Do other countries similarly affected have home workers voluntarily making masks, visors, scrubs, ventilators from scuba equipment etc etc. ? I havnt heard, but I rather doubt it. While shops (m and s) have provided 400 sets of pjs to act as scrubs....? What is going on.

Laudable of course, not knocking it at all, but it defies belief that the 5 th or 6 th richest, not sure which, country in the world was so unprepared that this is so urgently needed.

If I hear another minister saying we have enough of these items I might let out a screeeeaaaam.

suetil01 Tue 14-Apr-20 11:25:01

I have signed up to my local group and will be receiving my first package sometime this week, the strange thing is though they have only asked me to made three sets. I'm hoping that this will increase over the next few weeks. The other things that they need are bags to put their scrubs in for washing and headbands with buttons for holding face masks on instead of the elastic going around the ears which is making the skin really sore.

Calendargirl Tue 31-Mar-20 09:42:49

Cannot sew, so I would be useless, but hope there is take up if it helps.

chocolatepudding Tue 31-Mar-20 07:58:55

Is anyone interested?

chocolatepudding Mon 30-Mar-20 19:12:46

A new group has appeared on Facebook asking for volunteers to make scrubs sets for NHS staff. There is a pattern and details of suppliers of suitable materials. There are coordinators for each hospital to organise deliveries of the scrubs. If you are interested please look at

www.facebook.com/groups/1500699350098765/?hc_location=group

"For the love of scrubs - our NHS needs you"

Many thanks