Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Should I retire early?

(13 Posts)
MaggieTulliver Sat 13-Mar-21 14:51:30

I’m 63 and can retire in two and a half years. I’ve worked in a medical practice for the last 11 years as a medical secretary and enjoy the job. In the last year or so I’ve suffered with debilitating anxiety and have quite a lot of time off. It’s usually 1-2 days at a time because of the nature of my condition. When I have a trigger (usually a health worry) I go into panic mode and can’t function. My employers have been understanding but they seem to think I should take a few weeks off to “get better”. Unfortunately that’s not feasible with my condition, although I’m trying very hard to overcome things.

It’s got to the stage that I feel embarrassed about the time off and wondering if I should resign. I’m single and have a small private pension (£700 a month) which I’d have to supplement by about £300 a month to live on until I can retire. I own my home and might downsize in the future. I know I’d miss work but maybe I can do without the stress. Would welcome your views!

wildswan16 Sat 13-Mar-21 15:01:56

May I ask if you have addressed your "panic mode" - I realise this may be long-standing, but have you gone down the CBT or counselling route.

Your life will be much happier if you could get this resolved.

As far as retirement goes - if it is causing you significant stress and you can survive financially (maybe cutting things down significantly) then that might help you to feel less "panicky". It can be very awkward at work if you feel you are taking too much sick leave and that just adds to your stress levels. Hopefully there is someone at work you can discuss this with (medical practices should, one hopes, be understanding about the problem).

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Mar-21 15:02:12

Oh gosh difficult because it is such a personal choice, but I can only say about my experience.

I retired at 60 I am now 75 and can honestly say that I have enjoyed every single second. I wake every day mentally grinning at the day which is stretching before me and the choices I can make. Limited in lockdown, but still plenty to fill my day. I had definite cold feet before retirement, wondering how I was going to fill my days, but they whizz past far too quickly.

If you can afford it and you think your health will benefit from a stress free life then grasp it with both hands.

Nannarose Sat 13-Mar-21 15:13:47

I think you have posted before, and it sounds as if you have explored the options that may make enable you to stay at work (apologies if it is a similar post).
I presume that you are getting some psychiatric help? In which case, you could certainly look at claiming sickness benefit (which, remember, is part of National Insurance which you have paid into, but apologies if you have already exhausted that).
That, if you can do it, will give you a bit of space to make decisions in a quieter frame of mind.

I definitely think you need to talk this over with someone you trust, and look at downsizing fairly soon.
That will free up some money, and cut your bills.
If you are a bit daunted, you could consider renting out your house and renting somewhere smaller, as a temporary measure.
Some on Gransnet, and some friends, live in 'lodges' in very pleasant surroundings and you may like to investigate that - certainly locally some are available for rent as well as to buy.

Any option may trigger your anxiety, as there is such a lot to consider, so you need someone trustworthy to support you.
Good luck!

MaggieTulliver Sat 13-Mar-21 16:24:43

In answer to your questions, yes have sought and received help (CBT, medication etc) for a long time and am now on the waiting list for psychology. I think what’s causing me most stress is that I’m taking so much time off and that goes against the grain. I might get my own GP, who is lovely, to write a letter to my employer.

Doodledog Sat 13-Mar-21 16:45:00

If you can afford it, then retirement might be the nest thing you have ever done, particularly if your absence from work is adding to your stress; but if you are going to add money worries to your anxiety if might be counter-productive.

Have you spoken to your employers about the best way forward? As GPs, they should have an understanding of the issues and might be able to suggest a more imaginative approach than an 'all or nothing' one. Could you go part-time, for instance (and if so, would that help, do you think?). At least if you speak to them you can get an idea of how they see the problem, and how, if at all, they plan to deal with it (presumably it is causing problems for the running of the practice?)

MaggieTulliver Sat 13-Mar-21 17:27:52

Useful advice Doodledog. I work 4 days a week currently. It’s a difficult one to weigh up but if they could appreciate that my condition means no two days are the same, then that would help. But I know it’s a big ask which is why I’m considering retirement.

Tangerine Sat 13-Mar-21 19:30:42

Is it possible for them to lighten your workload? Jobshare perhaps?

I hope you find resolution.

Clio51 Sun 16-May-21 16:06:50

Go off long term sick with anxiety till you get state pension. It’s not that your lying

Go on employment support allowance

Redhead56 Sun 16-May-21 16:27:25

My friend has recently retired as a practise manager she did a job share to reduce her hours because of family pressures. She did have a very good relationship with the Doctors she worked for. Is this something you might be able to do to reduce your hours.
Some years ago I started having panic attacks. I was sent for tests it turned out the meds I was on for blood pressure were causing the panic attacks. My potassium levels were extremely low my tablets were altered and I was put on slow K. I could feel the panic lifting from me everyday. Have you a similar problem with medication or not I am just curious.
If you can arrange less hours you might be better doing that save worrying about finances. However your health does come first and if you can manage financially leave. I will say have hobbies and plenty to do if you do retire early keeping occupied is also important for your mental well-being.

Sallywally1 Sun 23-May-21 15:57:24

I work in the same environment, though I am a few years older. My NHS pension enabled me to ‘retire’ last year in February. I reduced my working week to three days and the pension plus my salary has worked out as slightly more than my salary was when full time. Some years ago we were given the choice to stay on our old NHS pension where we could retire at 60, or go on the new one which was more money but the retirement age was not until 65. Would this be an option?

For me this has worked out really well though I do get incredibly tired after a day at work in a job which is very busy. I am also coming up for my state pension which will give me extra money coming in. I intend to save as much as I can before giving up completely.

Sorry, this is all about me, but as we do the same job I feel that possibly my solution might help you?

albenpure Wed 08-Sep-21 16:15:33

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

MayBeMaw Wed 08-Sep-21 16:19:47

Reported