Work/volunteering

Work Perks

(50 Posts)
GagaJo Sat 01-May-21 10:27:53

A Mumsnet post prompted this.

What has been your best work perk?

I've had a few.

*Free photocopying.

* Access to Cambridge University Library (was WONDERFUL!).

* Free Wifi.

* Free access to on site swimming pool.

* When working in an admin role, free lunches (and dinner if working late).

* In a job in the USA many years ago, there was a free drinks machine. Juice, water, fizzy drinks.

* One of the schools I worked in, once a year the parents would put on a banquet for the staff on Teachers Day. And it was incredible!

* Annual Christmas party at another school. A full on event, at a different incredible location every year, with a multi course meal and entertainment.

But I guess the biggest have been free accommodation and meals. They DID have their downside. The accommodation was in school and therefore reduced privacy and no real sense of being 'away' from work. But totally cost free. With the meals, they are never totally free because a lot of the time the food is not good, and I end up buying my own. But again, a huge saving cost wise.

NotTooOld Tue 26-Oct-21 17:14:03

A teacher I met when we both worked at the same school became my husband? Does that count? grin

kittylester Tue 26-Oct-21 17:13:55

Hi nina, fine thank you! Hope you are too.

I know. Sssshhh! blush

ninathenana Tue 26-Oct-21 15:02:59

kitty hi, hope your ok.
Sleeping with the boss ?

DillytheGardener Tue 26-Oct-21 12:55:33

I don’t want to specify the exact roles and industries I’ve worked in as they would be identifying but I’ve received free holidays and beauty products in various jobs. Both very welcome and rewards for hard work (aka not as much time with my family as they grew up)

fiorentina51 Tue 26-Oct-21 12:45:25

Not sure if you could say it was a perk but working in a Boots store in the 1970s, we dispensary staff got offered free samples from the drug reps. Things like haemorrhoid cream and the like. One rep offered us a new contraceptive to try out. It was a layer of what looked like sellotape containing a spermicide. To be used in conjunction with a barrier method of contraception.
One dispenser decided to try it out.
The baby arrived just in time for Christmas.

Maya1 Tue 26-Oct-21 11:06:10

I once worked for American Express Banking. They had the banking contract for the USA bases here the uk. They also had the contract for tge banking services aboard tge QE2.
We each got to go a cruise or more than one if we wanted. I did the Southampton to New York and a Gilbraltar and Lisbon one.
All free and we only worked when out at sea.

tanith Tue 26-Oct-21 11:02:33

I got staff discounts when I worked at C&A and when I worked for the London Ambulance Service we were seen quicker when a hospital appointment was needed, I only waited 4 wks for my hip-replacement but it was 15+ yrs ago I’m sure it’s not like that now. Some of your ‘perks’ are amazing.

Kim19 Tue 26-Oct-21 10:58:45

Two free pairs of high quality footwear every year and a huge discount on any others I bought. They'll see me out!

sodapop Tue 26-Oct-21 10:57:07

Same here Lincslass working for NHS and in Social Care. We did get a reduced rate for BUPA care for a while.

Framilode Tue 26-Oct-21 10:35:33

I had a company car and a card to buy petrol with so all our private fuel use was paid for by the company.

Katie59 Tue 26-Oct-21 08:55:36

Lincslass

Working for the NHS, no perks, apart from the obvious ones of patient care. Plenty of bullying, overspending, favouritism, cliques, unpaid overtime, left being owed a days work, was told you won’t get that back, so don’t try. If you can call those perks?

Yea, I remember those perks!.

seacliff Tue 26-Oct-21 07:59:36

Luncheon Vouchers, 15p a day, loved them. Saved them up for a posh meal out sometimes.

Now working part time and still got free BUPA . Never used it but now my hip is falling apart, will be very useful.

Lincslass Tue 26-Oct-21 07:53:59

Working for the NHS, no perks, apart from the obvious ones of patient care. Plenty of bullying, overspending, favouritism, cliques, unpaid overtime, left being owed a days work, was told you won’t get that back, so don’t try. If you can call those perks?

kittylester Tue 26-Oct-21 07:48:52

Free dental treatment (and I also got to sleeping the boss!)

Katie59 Tue 26-Oct-21 07:37:21

Not too many perks in my NHS career, although the pension is good, not sure that counts, semi retired now just doing 3/4 days supermarket checkout, no stress and sensible hours, and get 20% off shopping, that I do value.

grannyactivist Tue 26-Oct-21 03:45:57

My husband was a civil servant until recently, so he got not one single perk! As a social worker I once got a free health check and Hep B vaccination after being compromised by a client who was a sex worker.

However, we now have our own company and I book the travel and hotels for the overnight stays. (And I get to sleep with the boss!) ?

biglouis Tue 26-Oct-21 01:21:34

I worked for a university for some years. The perks were:-

Travel to overseas conferences in the USA and Europe. Fares/hotels,meals all paid for. Often you had to stay on extra nights to get the cheapest air fares (for USA) so a few days after the conference ended as a mini holiday. Only expenses were personal entertainment/shows etc. You could estimate your expenditure up front and get issued with the currency/travel cheques for your trip. Obviously everything you claimed for had to be covered by receipts.

Lots of extra curricular courses such as assertiveness training, time management, team work. Team away days to nice locations with lunch and transport provided.

Free wifi in the days before unversal broadband.

Laptop to take home and travel with.

Working at home before it became the norm.

You could submit a purchase order for any books that were vaguely on your subject so a great opportunity to build up a personal reference library. Ditto computer software.

Lots of entertaining in our department - drinks parties, buffet etc. We entertained a lot of business clients.

I got a years trip to the USA as a "visiting professor" at a much higher pro rata salary. It enabled me to keep on my flat and also have a glitzy year in Uni of Nevada which is just ourside Las Vegas. Saw a lot of the USA.

mokryna Sat 01-May-21 23:27:19

Because I had worked for a state school some hours per week I have a higher rate of pension than only being in the private system. It may only be a very small sum but every bit helps.

My neighbours annoy me as they worked for EDF therefore they not only had very cheap electricity while they worked but also in their retirement.

mumski Sat 01-May-21 20:58:47

I had the best summer holiday job when I was at Uni working for Frys/Cadburys. I was on the chocolate covered nuts grin for the Christmas market. You could eat as much as you wanted. When I finished and went back to Uni in September I got the shakes as I'd eaten so much chocolate during the summer.
I still went on - may years later, to open 2 sweet shops.

Jaxjacky Sat 01-May-21 20:51:16

Travel, all over the world, over a certain number of miles it was business class, so that was Vegas, Australia and Japan, often got upgrades to the US as a frequent traveller, hotels, meals etc. Excellent work functions too, those were the days!

Urmstongran Sat 01-May-21 20:45:35

Susie42

I made the travel arrangements for a company I worked for and I had several free trips including one to Hong Kong.

Wowzer! That’s got to be the best perk by a country mile!

When I worked at our local district general hospital (over the years, things changed & tightened up) but back then if you were ‘staff’ you could get slotted into an out patient clinic at the end of the list with a friendly co-worker consultant within a week. Priceless really when I think about it - no GP referral either!

Blinko Sat 01-May-21 19:46:46

Travelling to various regions in the EU to learn what projects they had developed with EU Regeneration funding. Attending presentations in Brussels for a week, to learn about EU funded projects elsewhere. Lovely opportunities to visit places I might not otherwise have seen.

cornergran Sat 01-May-21 19:43:05

Some decent (and some not) hotel stays for training courses. One fee-free house move, I worked for an Estate Agent and we paid neither agency nor legal fees. Less than half the supermarket prices of frozen chickens when we both worked for a chicken growing and packing company. Cost price cleaning materials snd paper products when we both worked for a major producer.

House moves paid for by my husbands employers usually included removal costs and a three night stay in a good hotel with meals for the family.

We’ve done quite well over the years really.

GrandmaKT Sat 01-May-21 19:37:31

When I worked in hotels we were given free accommodation in the hotel when working back to back shifts. Also free meals whilst on duty and we often got leftovers from the posh restaurants.
In one of the jobs my DS had recently (he's a contractor) they had a DJ and free waffles in the office every morning between 8 and 9!

Marydoll Sat 01-May-21 19:24:35

An all expences, week long trip to the University of Lyon to enhance my French teaching skills: flights, tuition fees, hotel costs and €150 to cover lunches and snacks.
Dinner every night for a week in the best restaurants, a river trip and a trip to the cinema.