Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

UK ends support for Fashion and Textile export by closing TAP scheme

(4 Posts)
NotSpaghetti Tue 13-Jul-21 17:01:14

Just that really.
Another blow to industry.

The Department for International Trade (DIT) has cancelled the popular and effective Tradeshow Access Programme (TAP) with immediate effect.

This was the supported springboard through which many big names grew from small ones. The scheme provided a small amount of financial support to SME companies as they start down the "exporting" journey.

The rest of Europe has increased this sort of help during the pandemic.

Previous companies who used this TAP funding when they were small companies include some now well-known household names - (these were often launched at key events in Paris, Milan, New York, Shanghai, Berlin and Florence for example). They include Paul Smith, Vivienne Westwood, Abraham Moon, Jenny Packham, Orla Kiely, Simon Carter, Grenfell, Harris Tweed and many others.

Ilovecheese Tue 13-Jul-21 19:40:53

We used to have such a flourishing garment and fashion industry.
I don't think it was ever taken seriously enough, but thought of as a bit frivolous , even when it was a major player in our economy.
(A bit like the film industry is nowadays)

NotSpaghetti Tue 13-Jul-21 22:45:27

I just feel disappointed that this relatively tiny fund has been withdrawn suddenly.

It basically was a few thousand pounds towards exhibiting expenses and some exporting expertise. I know someone who used it and launched their small business in the middle east. Now lots of her sales are there and she can fund her own trade shows in Paris or wherever.
Just so short-sighted.

Shinamae Tue 13-Jul-21 22:52:56

I have to say I am past being surprised by anything that happens these days…..?‍♀️