Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Retirement panic

(43 Posts)
Helenlouise3 Mon 03-Oct-22 13:48:01

Today marks the first day of my retirement. I've worked for 45 years, the last 30 of which have been in a Primary school classroom. I've been so looking forward to this day for a few months and now it's arrived, I'm almost at the panic attack stage. I love walking, knitting and crochet, doing jigsaws and reading, apart from spending time with my 6 grandchildren. I've more than enough to fill my days but this feeling of panic isn't nice.

luluaugust Fri 17-Nov-23 09:45:10

My ex teacher friends seem to keep particularly well occupied. One is on the Committee of a book festival and a school Governor, another gives lectures on line and in person and they always seem to be asked to organise all sorts of things.
My DH took early retirement and I agree, get out and about while you can. In the early days we travelled a bit and looked after GC, now life is slower but we belong to the U3A and other groups and enjoy the family.

Katie59 Fri 17-Nov-23 09:24:56

I did panic at first but once I got structure into the week it was fine, I worked 3 days a week which left the rest to do what I wanted. Having fixed work days is a good idea then you have to plan around them rather than drift from day to day.

Margiknot Thu 16-Nov-23 21:08:41

I retired almost 3 months ago- from the nhs. At first I kept my options open - keeping up with continued education etc- but now I am ready to let that all go. I realise now how very tired I was and at last am beginning to relax into retirement!

avitorl Thu 16-Nov-23 20:57:15

Retirement has been the best time of my life.No worrying about work problems,being able to relax and do exactly as I please,brilliant! I have moved house and have enjoyed renovating and improving it.
I joined the U3A and even led a Group at one point.I met lots of interesting people who were enjoying their freedom too.Relax and enjoy it.You have earned this time for yourself

Cabbie21 Thu 16-Nov-23 20:53:46

Retired several years, but I am at the point of looking for new friends, new interests and opportunities whilst I still can, so I have joined u3a. We had a most interesting speaker this week. I am wondering what u3a groups others have found enjoyable?

Deedaa Thu 16-Nov-23 20:38:50

When I retired I moved straight on to looking after my 6 month old grandson so it was just changing one routine for another.

JakeysGranny Thu 16-Nov-23 20:22:09

I’ve been reading all these responses quite avidly as I am in the same situation.
I’m planning to retire in a few months time but will have to wait another 5 years until I’m 67 to get my state pension. I’m pretty sure I can keep myself busy but I’m unsure how I’ll feel about giving up my salary and living on a very modest private pension and savings until then.
I worry about the future though, and feel that my husband and I need to do the things we want to do while we’re still relatively fit and healthy.
It does feel like a scary decision!

Redhead56 Fri 06-Oct-23 08:50:12

Relax you have worked full time as a teacher have lots of hobbies to keep you occupied. I’m surprised you had time for them really teachers I know bring lots of work home with them.

Stop panicking and enjoy your precious time with family and friends it’s well deserved.

karmalady Fri 06-Oct-23 07:18:10

I am pretty much the same as Hatty58 and Marilla, I enjoy my life and have no interest in small- talking groups, volunteering or social gatherings. I do have wonderful and varied hobbies so no day is unfulfilled for me and I know I have already done my bit for society, I owe nobody anything. Retirement is time for me

The big downside of course was when I was widowed in 2015 and there was a big adaptation to becoming one in my house but that adaptation did happen and I set off on a new path, I decided that I would be alone but never lonely.

My hobbies keep me busy but I also go to out in my car, perhaps to a national trust property or to a lovely city like Wells, where I absorb the ancient atmosphere. I ride my bike in the countryside, walk along a river, walk locally in my old market town

Life was crammed before retiring, always busy with other people, never a moment to myself. Now beholden to no-one and a free spirit, I will not waste my life by sitting watching daytime tv

cornergran Fri 06-Oct-23 06:54:10

At 60 I often worked a 50 hour week at something I loved. Mr C retired and while balance was needed, the thought of not working was horrific. I gradually cut down, moved focus elsewhere. Five years later we moved areas, our new home was something of a project. I continued to work on a very part time basis for three years when circumstances made clear it was time to let go

Initially I missed working dreadfully but as I had when reducing hours found as space appeared so did other things to fill the gap. Time to spend with grandchildren without time constraints, helping family, gardening, reading, siting watching the waves, being able to help neighbours, small breaks. I’m pretty good at creating routine if it feels necessary, some fairly minor volunteering also gave and gives structure, after living working life by a clock I knew instinctively too many ‘have to’s’ wouldn't work for me.

We’re all different. Have different needs and wants, what suits me (I’m a fairly quiet person not happy in large groups or noise) won’t suit others. I have two mottos now, do it while you can for pleasant things and small challenges along with one day when I feel like it for things that don’t appeal and can wait.

Of course retirement after full time work feels challenging helenlouise, why wouldn't it? Give yourself time, it is a huge transition, try new things, don’t be afraid to let go of the ones that aren’t for you, gradually a shape that suits you will emerge. It’s your time now.

Sara1954 Fri 06-Oct-23 06:35:01

I totally understand, I’ve recently given myself one day a week off.
I’ve been looking forward to it, all my grandchildren are now at school, so I literally have time to myself.
But I can’t stop rushing, I’ve always got one eye on the clock, and I know it’s ridiculous, but I feel I’ve got to be productive.
The last couple of weeks I’ve had to go into work for various reasons, and it’s almost been a relief.

Helen63 Fri 06-Oct-23 05:35:01

I’ve just retired from a 40 year career in the NHS and Education and it is scary on many levels. I think it is the change in identity, mostly I am ok but sometimes have a wobbly day when I feel a loss, but it’s not so bad that I want to return. I joined the university of the 3rd age. Sounds odd but basically it is a national and local group which provides classes and activities for those retired.

biglouis Fri 28-Oct-22 12:45:18

Im so glad I dont work in accademia now with all this gendered stuff. It would be like treading on eggshells and I cant be bothered with all that claptrap.

No one should ever feel guilty about being retired and not having to get up in the morning if you dont want to. As I see it I spent a lifetime contributing to the community and there is a lot of my hard work and tax money still in the kitty.

Babs758 Thu 27-Oct-22 13:09:02

And to the OP - I can really identify with your anxiety!

Babs758 Thu 27-Oct-22 13:03:52

Very interesting thread! I am planning on retiring next year at 63 and am also worried about getting bored. I like reading, discovered an interest in gardening during lockdown and also play an instrument to a good standard and many of my friends have already retired and I would love to see them more often. Work has been my life but I am finding it very frustrating now it’s constant change for changes sake. I’m not sure I have the guts to retire and would have to live on my private pension plus savings until the state pension comes in. DH due to pick up his pension next year Not sure what to do if the gov puts the retirement age back again! So any encouraging posts re retirement welcomed :-)

Calendargirl Thu 27-Oct-22 11:30:34

I worked in a bank, loved my job years ago, but the last 5 years or so I longed to retire, hated the way it all changed.

I felt anxious coming up to finishing however, I retired at 60 when my (not huge) work pension kicked in, but nearly 3 years before state pension age. What if I didn’t like being retired? It would be too late then!

I have now been retired nearly 10 years. Used to do a lot with GC, now not needed as in their teens.

Go swimming, aquacise, walking, read a lot, have done car boot sales after sorting the loft out, can spend more time on cooking economical but nutritious meals. Am much fitter than when at work. The house is still not immaculate, and cannot claim I haven’t the time to always be cleaning, but hey ho, life’s not all about having a show home.

Would never want to be back at work again.

Chardy Thu 27-Oct-22 08:05:07

Another retired teacher here - I made an effort to have a couple of hobbies that I did with new people. And finally got a dog. Enjoy.

Retread Thu 27-Oct-22 07:43:34

I clearly remember the first time I realised that I could stay in bed and finish a good book. Bliss!

I tried volunteering, it wasn't a good experience (the woman in charge was very "bossy"), so I resigned after three months. Because I could.

I have regular visits with friends, walk, garden, knit, do exercise classes on Zoom, spend time with grandchildren, try new recipes ... and occasionally still have time to lie in bed and read! Retirement really is great. And I'm also grateful to have this time.

Urmstongran Thu 27-Oct-22 07:20:03

I retired at 60y (8 years ago) and like the OP had to wait 6 years for my state pension. We did our sums on the back of an envelope and divvied up our retirement lump sums to live on until the state pensions (finally) kicked in. At first I used to look around a café or pub garden at lunchtime and think ‘I don’t belong here with all these old people’. I found my first few weeks I dreamt about work and my colleagues a lot! I think my mind was putting stuff away in mental filing cabinet. We adjusted well though because we took a month’s holiday, going off to the airport on that first Monday morning. It certainly helped me to transition.

I’m not one for volunteering or crafting. We don’t have a dog any more either, yet retirement is bluddy wonderful. Not everyone gets to enjoy this special time in their lives so it just makes me really grateful that we have reached this stage.

notgran Thu 27-Oct-22 06:27:12

I worked full time from 16 to 65. Loved every job I had (at an insurance company then the civil service) and most of all loved the friends I made along the way. For the first few weeks I retired it just felt like I was taking annual leave. Then we went on a couple of holidays and slowly it dawned on me I could do what I wanted when I wanted. The best feeling of all? Nothing needed to be rushed and if I didn't need to do it immediately (and very little does) then it gets done eventually. I haven't joined any clubs etc. just kept in touch with my lovely friends and we meet up often. Most are now retired also so it's very easy to make plans. It's early days yet Helenlouise3, just relax into it and enjoy!

multicolourswapshop Thu 27-Oct-22 05:06:23

Sorry guys I chose to house sit posted too early before I read my post

multicolourswapshop Thu 27-Oct-22 05:04:16

I retired at 63 not yesterday and chose to house and I loved it but my dh wasn’t so keen so I gave up no use sitting in beautiful old and new houses with a grumps it spoiled tge Housesitting. Anyway as I was still a busy lady I didn’t have tge time nd I didn’t want to go it alone, as an update regarding himself another hospital visit has taken place where he was looking fab after getting pumped full of antibiotics for a UTI hoping he gets home today lots of love to those who are recovering in hospital

Coolgran65 Thu 27-Oct-22 04:13:01

I retired 13 years ago and looked after 2 grandchildren for 2 days each week and loved it. They no longer need care. My days are full and I hardly know how, it just happens. However anout 3 months ago I joined a writing club in our local library. It’s 2 hours every Tuesday and I love it. We also have homework which takes about 30 minutes. I wish I’d joined sooner. Lighthearted and lots of interesting chat discussing each other’s offerings. Subjects to write can be poignant or funny depending on each person’s point of view. No pressure. There are about 10 of us max. Sometimes only 5. Sometimes a few go to next door coffee shop afterwards. Just sorry I didn’t join years ago. The library even provides a trolley of tea/coffee/biscuits. It’s all free.

welbeck Wed 26-Oct-22 23:42:36

try keeping a journal ?

Harriet4 Wed 26-Oct-22 23:37:58

I semi retired at 58, took my NHS pension then returned on 3 days until last year when I left my job. I then got involved with the covid vaccine team locally working 4 days a week. That finished in January this year and I started to panic about retirement.
It is a very strange feeling, loss of earnings, loss of having a purpose, loss of having a reason to get up in the morning and loss of routine after so many years.
My husband was lucky and decided to retire early at 53 yrs and he made the adjustment easily. It’s been much harder for me. It’s not that I don’t have anything to do. I go to a pottery class, swim, bought and ebike and cycle, I love gardening, walking the dogs, bring with the grandchildren although they are older now and don’t need caring for.
I knit, read, learning to sew, I have lots I want to do but that sense of that’s it, no more work and a loss of the purpose of work is proving difficult for me.
My previous boss asked me if I’d do a couple of days on the bank as they are so short staffed so I jumped at it!
I’ve decided after this year on the bank to finish at Christmas as I should get my state pension in January.
I was one of the first to have to work the full 6 years longer to get my state pension having been born after 1955. So working longer became a necessity.
I think I’m ready to retire but I still feel wobbly about it. The loss of earnings is a huge thing for me. I have an occupational pension already and will have the state pension on top and will comfortably manage financially so I need to relax and let go however I’m still struggling.
Is it just me? I should be glad to finish and in some ways I am because I know I will fill my time and I do intend to do some voluntary work also but it’s creating anxiety. Anyone else feel this?
Just another of life’s adjustments I suppose!