Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

Occupational Health telephone appt

(11 Posts)
Bea65 Wed 16-Jun-21 11:30:30

Has anyone had an OH review via phone recently? Rec'd email that states OH are calling re my present sickness absence..am pleased they are calling as its due to work related stress..re problem with pressure from line manager and comments on my work product which led to meltdown @work and now off with anxiety and depression- not sure what to expect and i'm not in any Trade Union and don't want another meltdown!

Blossoming Wed 16-Jun-21 11:39:27

Yes, I had a few of these during my recovery from my brain injury. They were actually very helpful and were able to advise me on sources of support, reasonable adjustments to my working routine, etc.

You can get advise from ACAS whether you’re in a trade union or not.

www.acas.org.uk/contact

tanith Wed 16-Jun-21 13:49:40

When I was working and going through the process off Ill-health retirement I always thought OH were on my managements side, how wrong was I? They couldn’t of been more supportive and helpful but this was face to face so not sure how different it would be by phone sorry.

Humduh Wed 01-Sep-21 18:42:05

In my experience IH is a tool for management

Riverwalk Wed 01-Sep-21 18:48:17

I never understand why people don't join an appropriate trade union!

welbeck Wed 01-Sep-21 18:51:55

OH, presumably you have a doctor's note re sickness absence.
be careful what you say, they may well be recording it.
could you record it too.
what do you mean by a meltdown.
what is the prognosis, or plan for returning to work.

cornergran Wed 01-Sep-21 19:01:25

Bea if you can why not consider having some one with you, tell OH in advance this is your wish. The phone can then be put on speaker so your companion/support can hear what is being said. It should be permitted on the understanding your supporter doesn’t interfere with the conversation. They can also take notes if you are worried about the call. I’ve done it a few times for colleagues in a face to face OH meeting and been told it was helpful. In my experience OH have been supportive to the colleague and not particularly biased towards management. Wishing you well with it, please try not to worry too much.

Blossoming Wed 01-Sep-21 19:05:41

You seem to be popping up in a lot of old threads Humduh

silverlining48 Wed 01-Sep-21 19:30:41

Always a good idea to have someone with you to be witness and take notes. If any notes are being taken by OH ask for a copy.

Keep a written note of any conversations, with whom and when.

My experience with OH was that they were decidedly on the side of management.

silverlining48 Wed 01-Sep-21 19:31:59

I hadn’t noticed the date , wonder what happened for Bea.

cornergran Wed 01-Sep-21 23:04:07

I’d not noticed either. Please come and tell us what happened bea. Note to self - pay more attention smile.