Gransnet forums

Work/volunteering

House share in Bristol.

(9 Posts)
Flower61 Mon 18-Oct-21 10:56:59

My daughter is moving to Bristol for a new job. As we don't know Bristol very well I'm interested to know area's that are good for bus/train and to live.

Sparklefizz Mon 18-Oct-21 11:07:02

Will she be buying or renting?
Does she want to live in the city or outside?
Which part of Bristol will she need to get to for work?

Nannarose Mon 18-Oct-21 11:25:43

I don't know Bristol, but a young friend who lives there has found this network brilliant:

citygirlnetwork.com/

Flower61 Mon 18-Oct-21 21:39:34

She wants to house share as the rent is better to manage and be in the centre if possible. It's near the Clifton area.
Thanks for info about city girl I'll pass it on.

Scones Mon 18-Oct-21 22:17:35

Clifton is one of the university areas of Bristol. It's very lively, smart and full of bars, restaurants, open green space, clubs and shops and has great transport links. It's a fun place to live for young people and full of students. It's as safe as any area of a large city can be. It is VERY expensive, amongst the most expensive places to live in Bristol Lots of house shares around for students and young professionals.

Other areas nearby which are equally vibrant and have good transport links, are Redland, Clifton Wood and Cotham. Still pricey though.

A cheaper area a hop, skip and a jump away is Southville. A funky, vibrant area with good transport links, parks and a great theatre.

I'm Bristol born and bred. It's a great city. I hope your daughter has a fantastic time there and loves her new job.

Scones Mon 18-Oct-21 22:19:15

Oh, should have said, all the places I've mentioned are central.

biglouis Tue 26-Oct-21 11:45:05

I know Clifton as well. As the previous poster stated its a very smart student oriented area but on the expensive side. I depends upon your daughters budget.

Chardy Tue 26-Oct-21 14:23:14

Daughter really liked living near Gloucester Road because it had lots if little independent shops. Train stations nearby, regular buses too.

ayse Tue 26-Oct-21 14:28:30

My DD lives in Bristol. The buses are ok but some can be a bit hit and miss.

Apparently Gloucester Road is the longest street in England with independent shops. It’s a very vibrant city with the old docks coming alive at night.

It is rather expensive and house prices have gone up by 25% in the last year. I suspect rented accommodation will be pricey so sharing seems a great idea.

Wish your daughter all the best.