Gransnet forums

Writers' room

Work blog- first draft

(33 Posts)
Anne58 Wed 22-Jul-15 12:20:53

Hello all,

On the company's website there is a blog written by the MD about various "woodworking" things. I suggested having another one, written from the point of view of someone we call Lola, she is a beautiful black lab aged about 8 months.

Here is the very first draft I submitted. I have changed the names but all other bits are the some, including notes.

Hello, my name is Lola!

Well, that is what the two legs call me. I've tried time and time again to tell them that my real name is (use either full pedigree name or make up something along the lines of “High Empress of Vole Hunting & Crotch Sniffer in Chief”) , but they just don't get it. So, I've decided that I may as well answer to Lola, after all ignoring them seems to adversely affect my biscuit allowance, and a girl with key responsibilities like mine must keep her strength up.

Let me tell you a bit about where I live. There are beautiful fields here, and a lovely pool for me to swim in. When I come out after my constitutional dip, I try to show the two legs how wonderful it is by shaking some of the water over them, but as yet none of them has tried so much as a paddle!

I like to spend as much time as possible with the senior two legs, who the others call D. This means following him into buildings called “work shops” not that I can see much evidence of “work”, well not by my standards anyway. Do any of them chase voles? No. Do any of them fetch things and bring them back? No. All they seem to do is sit or stand at these bench things messing about with wood. WOOD! I ask you! In my humble opinion the only sort of wood worth bothering about are sticks that we give to the two legs for them to throw. Of course we have to bring them back to be thrown again, but at least it gives their arms some exercise.

Anyway, back to the so called “workshops” I do try to take an interest in what they are doing, after all we can all do with a bit of encouragement. So, I put my front paws on their legs, just so that I can see properly and make appropriate comments. Are they grateful? No, of course not, all I get is “Not now Leyla, I'm using a chisel” Or “Oh Leyla, you've slobbered on my drawing!”. Still, no one can accuse me of not trying.

There has been some odd talk lately. Well, to be honest much of what they say seems odd, but I smile and wag, a bit like a canine version of the late Queen Mother. Not that she wagged of course, smile yes, (although if I had teeth like that I don't think I would be keen to show them off) but she did that little thing with her hand. I think it's called “waving”, obviously a word derived from wagging, and the nearest she could get to it, poor dear. So, the odd talk. They have mentioned getting something for the workshop called a “See Ay Tee”. I'm not entirely sure, but I think it may be a new piece of equipment, perhaps some sort of sawing or planing thing (not really sure what those are either, but I've heard them mentioned and didn't like to show my ignorance).

Well, better sign off now, there are 3 pairs of shoes in the hallway that need sorting.

Chow! (dog joke, geddit!)

Elegran Wed 22-Jul-15 13:01:23

Great, Phoenix! (I am sure you have noticed and edited that she started as Lola and became Leyla partway through)

MiniMouse Wed 22-Jul-15 13:04:46

Brilliant phoenix - A case of the Tale Wagging the Dog?grin

gillybob Wed 22-Jul-15 13:07:58

I love it phoenix but not sure whether it's entirely appropriate for a company website. Especially if the idea of the blog is to enourage customers to but more woodwork thingy's.

Perhaps a website of Lola's own????? smile

Anne58 Wed 22-Jul-15 13:41:38

Ooops! Missed that when supposedly "editing"! She really is actually "Leylah" , I meant to sort of "anonomise" it, but failed!

gilly the blog my MD currently does for the website is presented in a light hearted way, as is the newsletter he sends from time to time. The main concern from his point of view is getting as many hits as we can, so that our place on Google doesn't drop. It's a new website, the last one had been in place for about 10 years with revisions every 18 month or so, but the new one has been designed to work better with phones & tablets, so we are still waiting to see if it affects our position.

By the way, the See Ay Tee is in place and is called George, although I still think he looks more like a Kevin! smile Leylah tries so hard to get him to play, but he just stands his ground and goes Ninja!

annsixty Thu 23-Jul-15 10:09:19

It isn't at all important what a forum of Gran's think , what did the MD think?Did he feel it was relevant to the company's blog? Will it attract customers and encourage them to buy the product?

Elegran Thu 23-Jul-15 10:29:35

It sounds to me like something that regular customers and students will keep going back to and reading about the people and animals they met there. That will keep them in touch and onside. I have no idea whether it will attract new readers, but that is in the future.

It seems a nice friendly place to work. Those who learnt their craft there will stay attached to it.

Tegan Thu 23-Jul-15 11:16:01

I'd edit out the 'crotch sniffing' bit blush.

Anne58 Thu 23-Jul-15 19:53:53

Tegan grin

Spot on Elegran the more times that people log on/go to any website, the higher the ratings on Google are!

annsixty ok, the opinions of "a forum of grans" might not appear to matter, but, as said up there it really doesn't matter WHO goes to the website, or indeed why, but the fact that people are clicking on it (for whatever reason, be it to book a course, order a DVD etc) keeps it as a strong presence on Google.

So my reasoning is, that if we put stuff on the site about something that appeals to people other than those that might just be looking for info about a wood working course, it will increase the number of hits and therefore keep us up there on the fist page!

Does this make sense? Pleas tell me if I'm not explaining it properly!

annsixty Thu 23-Jul-15 20:22:41

I am sorry that I didn't understand, never having worked in a business environment, that it was important to be on Google's " top ten" as it were. It is all a mystery to me. I thought it was to get publicity for the company ,but maybe it does.

trisher Thu 23-Jul-15 20:26:19

Phoenix it is good but if you want something that will make people follow and keep clicking you need some sort of cliffhanger or hook. So something the dog sees or gets involved in that isn't clear or is unfinished so you can end with Lola saying she is going to sort it out tomorrow. Maybe a cat who makes Lola's life difficult?

Elegran Thu 23-Jul-15 21:23:25

ansixty When you do a Google search, the ones that appear at the top of the list are the ones that fulfill your search criteria and have had the most viewers. People looking for a woodworking course will start by going to a site at the top of the list, rather than one on page ten. So if you can attract people to follow the dogblog, they will increase the hits and keep the site well up the list.

Ana Thu 23-Jul-15 21:29:11

Not sure how many people looking for woodworking products/courses etc. would even read the dogblog, never mind want to follow it, but it's worth a try!

annsixty Thu 23-Jul-15 21:40:27

Thanks Elegran I really am an old duffer in both senses of the word when it comes to technology and the workings of the internet. However I am learning thanks to people like you. I have only been using a computer for about 4 years and am my (late) 70's.

Elegran Thu 23-Jul-15 21:52:29

But people with no interest whatsoever in woodwork who come across it and follow it would keep it up the list to be seen by anyone searching for the woodwork course.

If phoenix sends me a link to it, I will read it.

Elegran Thu 23-Jul-15 21:54:07

That is there are so many glamorous models draped over bonnets at car shows.

Elegran Thu 23-Jul-15 21:54:43

Missed out a "why".

merlotgran Thu 23-Jul-15 21:58:41

How would people with no interest in woodwork come across it though? Would it show up if you googled 'dog blog' or similar?

Not sure how these things work but I do realise it's important to keep the website at the top of the list.

Galen Thu 23-Jul-15 22:11:07

What do they make? Welsh spurtles?

Ana Thu 23-Jul-15 22:20:27

I thought spurtles were Scottish...but it could be a good word to use in the dogblog!

Anne58 Thu 23-Jul-15 23:02:09

Galen grin Some students come just for weekend course, a month course etc others are there for a whole year!

There is a student there who is 9 months in of a 12 month course who is making a sort of "console" table, semi circular thing that even though it is not finished, is so very beautiful that I just stand in awe of it. He is currently cutting the veneers for the drawer fronts. Another student is nearing completion of a stunning rocking chair.

www.finefurnituremaker.com

Some of it is not to my taste, but I still recognise and admire the skill that goes into making them.

Tegan Thu 23-Jul-15 23:15:53

Did you see the thing on Countryfile about the man that 'grows' chairs [a bit like coppiceing but you get a chair at the end not a hedge]? I can't say I liked them very much and they cost a fortune [and you had to wait years for them to be delivered....]

Elegran Fri 24-Jul-15 08:34:49

merlotgran If *phoenix puts "dogblog", "dog blog", "Lola", "labrador" "wagging, "crotch sniffer" and other words that will identify the blog to catch the robots that Google uses , into the metadata of the page (technical term for behind-the-scenes labels) , they will be found when people search for "dog" or whatever.

That is why you sometimes get weird choices when you search - someone has added everything they can think of to their metadata and included what you were searching for.

(apologies for rather convoluted first sentence, but you get what I mean)

Elegran Fri 24-Jul-15 08:36:00

I thought those coppiced chairs were very interesting but not all that attractive. They look as though they belong in a Hobbit house.

trisher Fri 24-Jul-15 10:23:27

Lovely link -thanksphoenix I agree about the designs but great to see so much craftsmanship.