Gransnet forums

Writers' room

A big day for me

(36 Posts)
Jane10 Wed 12-Aug-15 09:57:52

Well they arrived yesterday- advance review copies of my book. My baby. I knew what the covers and blurb etc would be like but to actually hold a copy in my hand was amazing. Cheesy I know, predictable too but just seeing my imagination turned into an actual object was one of life's moments for me.
Of course I know lots of people write books (I seem to have bought most of them over the years!)
Anyway, lots more to do in association with "it" - launch plans, reviews etc and told by publishers not to be too thin skinned, some people will hate it and say so- will have to toughen up. But, right now, I'm ready!! tra la la sunshine

rubylady Thu 13-Aug-15 00:17:59

Congratulations on your personal achievement. [flowes]

I've wanted to write now for over 27 years but it just won't come. Hopefully, one day. Well done. grin

Chicklette Fri 11-Sep-15 19:23:22

I'm so thrilled for you. I had a novel published in 2008 but I had so many rejections before getting taken on by a publisher, and nowhere near the help you've had from yours. I can only assume your book is far superior to mine! What is it called and when will it be available to buy? And very best wishes for your reviews and sales.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 11-Sep-15 19:32:00

Crikey! That's amazing!

Yes, you've got to tell us what it's called. Link to Amazon, pretty please?

rosequartz Fri 11-Sep-15 19:48:34

Well, they say that 'everyone has a book in them'

I can't find mine, so congratulations and very well done Jane10!

baubles Fri 11-Sep-15 20:23:01

What a fabulous achievement Jane, well done. flowerscupcakebrewwinesmile

Author Wed 30-Sep-15 15:40:21

Hi Jane. As you can see from the rather presumptuous Username - I call myself an author. Unaware that there was a Writers Section on Gransnet, I have lauded the joys of writing in retirement on another thread.

I am green with envy that you found a publisher. I too dashed off into Oxford (bad move!) to drop my precious cargo through the letter box of Curtis Brown (no, I have no inhibitions when starting at the top!). By a whim of fate, my husband and I went to "celebrate" (ha, ha) in the local pub and ended up sharing our meal with the founder of the Dangerous Sports Club. Apparently he started the club when at University and did the very first bunjee jump off the Cleveland Bridge.

This had to be an omen, surely?

No. Curtis Brown didn't even bother to write. Just a curt email saying they weren't taking any new writers. To rub salt into the wound, I had used the book of one of their authors when researching Victorian England. Huh! Sour grapes? Who me?

So now I have my 412 page historical novel on Amazon and Smashwords. I didn't try any other publisher. Felt a bit shirty that my "baby" should be subject to more shunting around anonymous desks. My achievement was, after all, in writing the book and feeling extremely proud of doing so.

Incidentally, it was inspired by an entry from the 1881 Census that may belong to my Irish Great Grandfather. What I read had such a profound effect on me that 412 pages later, Áine was born!

I did take heart from a published writer Michael Grant who now uses Amazon and Smashwords. He said he preferred self-publishing for the fact that your book was out there indefinitely whereas a publisher will initially promote your book and then move on.

But I wish you every success! You didn't give us the name of the book - or have I overlooked it? Do let us know. I shall be the first to buy!

p.s. I did my cover too! Jack of All Trades ...

Jane10 Wed 30-Sep-15 18:27:12

Sorry, only just noticed that this thread had sprung to life again. I didn't give details of the book as I thought it was against GN rules-no advertising. Its not officially available until January.
I was lucky to have met up with a writers collective which is where a lot of the help and support has come from. I write a blog on their website, we all Tweet and Facebook like mad as that seems the thing to do! I also help the others in any way I can by reading and commenting on their stuff. I've got some speaking engagements lined up too. Its a whole new world for me. Its definitely not been as easy as all that sounds. The actual writing is the easy bit! I have a domain name but am putting off setting up my own website as its so scary. I don't understand the words used in web development. Will have to find a teenager to help me!

BiNtHeReDuNiT14 Thu 01-Oct-15 07:26:30

Well done Jane10 You have been excitingly awaiting this day. A lot of work but must be amazing to see it in print. Enjoy all the other experiences associated with launching it. Congratulations !

Jane10 Fri 29-Jan-16 09:39:28

Well my blog was posted on GN yesterday. The link to the book is there too. I had asked GN if it was OK to give info about the book as I didn't think I'd be allowed to advertise. The lovely people at GNHQ suggested that I write a guest blog and said they'd add the link and voila!
After Blackwells bookshop liking the book before Christmas they asked if they could host the launch. Huge turn out and amazingly the book is still No1 in their Scottish bestsellers chart. I'm doing a sort of tour visiting various libraries and ladies groups (including a session at forthcoming GN conference in Edinburgh if time permits from the chatting!) Take heart writing Grans -much is possible!

kyoshi Wed 19-Feb-20 07:33:10

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.