Home » Legal and money » care-costs

Care assessments: what do you need and who pays?

CalculatorAnyone who needs some form of care should get a care assessment, known as a Section 47 assessment. This enables the local authority to decide the level of care needed.

You can then get your finances assessed to see if you're eligible for support with costs. Occasionally, local authorities try to dissuade people from getting a Section 47 assessment on the basis that they won't be eligible for funding anyway - but a Section 47 is everyone's statutory right, and you should insist.  

Assessment of your care need

To get your Section 47 assessment, the first thing to do is to contact the local authority services. They will organise a home visit and maybe a chat with the GP.

The assessor will draw up a report of needs, including specialist requirements such as needing a ventilator to help with breathing. These "assessed needs" will form the basis of the care and funding.

It's a good idea for a family member or friend to be present for the assessment. 

What you need for the care assessment

To have your care assessed you'll need:

  • The telephone number and address of your local authority’s Adult Services department to contact them and ask them for an assessment.
  • A report by the GP on medical needs, which the GP will normally send directly to the Adult Services department of your local authority.

Visit Which? Elderly Care for more information on how to prepare for the needs assessment.

Assessment of your financial need

Once you've established care needs, you're in a position to discuss whether you're eligible for financial support. 

Care at home

If you're looking to get domiciliary care, the situation is rather complicated...unhelpfully, the point at which financial help kicks in is different for every single local authority. Some will pay to put rails up, some won't. Some will fund a special bath, others won't. This is the notorious postcode lottery in care which the government has pledged to reform - but for the time being, your eligibility for financial help will be determined as much by what the local authority has a policy of paying for as by your need.

Going into a care home

Many local authorities will only fund care for people whose needs are judged to be "severe" (though some will fund "moderate" care needs). Again, the government has pledged to establish a base level of qualifying need across the country but, for the time being, you will have to take into account the local eligibility level.

Even if the person needing care expects to pay, it's a good idea to get a Section 47 assessment, in case they later run out of money. It's useful to understand how their needs are officially seen - whether severe, moderate or mild.

What you need for the financial assessment

If the local authority might be funding part or all of your care, you'll need to provide some financial information, including:
  • Bank and building society statements.
  • National Savings and Premium Bond certificates.
  • Details of any stocks, shares and any other financial products you own.
  • Your pension entitlements.
  • Details of property you own and its current value.