Ageism - what are we?
Books - ruin with one letter
Birthday - was it ignored?
Slow cooked beef casserole recipe from Pinksock
Ingredients500g lean braising steak
Large pack of fresh prepared stew veg
1 large onion (chopped)
170g (6oz) fresh mushrooms (wiped & quartered)
2 tbsp cornflour
1 pack passata
2 cloves fresh garlic (crushed)
125ml red wine (preferably full bodied)
2 tsp grapeseed oil
1/2 litre (1 pint) beef stock
Handy HintA freezer bag is a great way to get your meat coated evenly with the cornflour without making a mess. You could swap the wine for beer this will give a more earthy taste. Add the mushrooms near the end of the cooking time to stop them losing shape and becoming too soggy.
Method1. Season the cornflour, place in a large bowl and add the beef. Stir and coat.
2. Heat the oil in a heavy bottom pan, add crushed garlic and onion cook until soft, remove and add the veg.
3. Remove and add the beef and brown (you may find you need a little extra oil at this point) then remove the pan from the heat and spoon the browned meat into the slow cooker. Add the veg and put on the lid.
4. Next heat the pan again and when hot add the red wine reduce, stir with wooden spoon to get all of the flavour from the bottom of the pan.
5. Add the stock and the passata, heat. Add bouquet garni and simmer for a couple of minutes until piping hot, then add this mixture to the slow cooker, stir then replace the lid.
6. Turn on slow cooker to full leave for 6-8 hours. About 45 mins before the end of the cooking time add the mushrooms. Serve with creamy mash potatoes and veg of your choice.
Please login first.