Chorizo and butter bean soup recipe from Sapphyr
Ingredients1 large onion (finely chopped)
2 cloves garlic
150g (6lbs) good chorizo (sliced and diced into small 5mm (1/4in) x 5mm (1/4in) cubes)
400g (1lb) tin butter beans or 80g (3oz) soaked overnight
400g (1lb) tin chopped tomatoes
200-300g (1/2lb) left-over potatoes
100g (4oz) cabbage (thinly sliced)
100g (4oz) red lentils
250ml (1/2pt) vegetable stock
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp pimiento
1/4 tsp ground cummin
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp dried thyme
30ml (2tbsp) virgin olive oil
20ml (1.5tbsp) extra-virgin olive oil
Handy HintMake sure you sweat the onions for at least 7 mins to release the sugars and then the chorizo to release the fat. The flavours develop by doing this - I use this technique for most dishes involving onions. Some vegetable stocks are not gluten-free: if this is an issue for you, check before using.
Method1. Heat a large pan and, when warm, add the two oils.
2. Sweat the onions for 7-10 minutes.
3. Add the chorizo bits and stir while it releases its fat.
4. Crush the garlic with some salt and leave it for ten minutes to sweat its oils; add to pan.
5. Add the other spices and herbs and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Deglaze the pan with the tinned tomatoes and vegetable stock.
7. Add the red lentils, cabbage and potatoes and simmer for 30 minutes until the lentils have swelled.
8. Season to taste and serve with chunks of French bread or similar.