Christmas pie recipe from SentimentalK
IngredientsFor the pie crust:
115g vegetable suet
330g plain white flour
½ tsp salt
For the filling:
2 onions, finely chopped
130g leeks, finely chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
225g mushrooms, sliced
25g dried cranberries
340g butter beans, chopped (tinned)
250g tinned cooked chestnuts, sliced
50g hazelnuts, chopped
2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
1 tsp English mustard
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tbsp cranberry sauce
Handy HintI must confess I got this recipe from a vegetarian web site last year, but it did come out so well, even if my pastry wasn't quite perfect! I did the usual trimmings with vegetarian gravy. It is also egg free unless you brush some on the lid.
Method1. Fry all the ingredients for the filling over a medium heat and add plenty of seasoning (I use salt, pepper and a little bit of garlic salt as well-DH is a garlic fan...).
2. To make the pastry, put the suet in boiling water and stir then put it to one side.
3. Add water and suet to the flour and start to knead.
4. After a few minutes, grease a deep pie tin and roll out most of the pastry leaving some back for the top.
5. Then add a layer of cranberry sauce inside the pastry case and add the filling. You should make sure the filling is dry enough so that it won't make the case go soggy while it is cooking.
6. Roll out the leftover pastry to make the top of the pie and cook in the oven at 180C/Gas 4 for about an hour. Sometimes I find it needs a bit longer.