Gransnet forums

AIBU

My Generation (Why don't you all F-f-f fade away)

(52 Posts)
trisher Tue 28-Jun-16 14:01:29

There's been a lot of condemnation about young people criticizing us oldies for the Brexit vote. Some people have condemned them as 'ageist', but I think we were far more condemnatory than they have ever been. Hence the Who's lyric. Or we could have Toyah in 1981 going"To turn suburbia upside down". I actually think that young people today are far more respectful than we ever were and I think the Who's words"Hope I die before I get old" refer not to a physical death but a spiritual one where we become less open to ideas and change, and I'm afraid some people have already got there.

Elrel Mon 04-Jul-16 16:25:35

The vote was not that far from 50:50, both countrywide and in the various areas/towns/cities. People are reacting as though it were 80:20. Few older people I know voted Leave. Some of our grandchildren are passionate about politics, not all of them highly educated. A young woman with a chaotic, neglected background has been firstly telling her work colleagues that they should have used their vote and, secondly, putting forward a good case for Remain. Also she pointed out their racist attitude to some 'mature' colleagues.
What a mess, lies and leadership manoeuvring by our elected representatives!