Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Birthday present for 70 year old man

(59 Posts)
Elusivebutterfly Thu 07-Mar-24 10:50:53

I am looking for inspiration from other Grans for suggestions for a man's 70th birthday present.
I don't particularly want to buy nice wine or a food hamper, as I have done that previously. Nothing stands out on the John Lewis or M&S gift pages. He is not sporty though is fit and active.
Any suggestions gratefully received.

maddyone Thu 07-Mar-24 10:55:05

A weekend away? A nice meal somewhere special? Theatre tickets?
It depends on your budget and relationship to the man really.

Callistemon21 Thu 07-Mar-24 10:55:40

What are his hobbies?

Grandmabatty Thu 07-Mar-24 11:24:30

A nice bottle of whisky? Unless all alcohol is off the list.

Siope Thu 07-Mar-24 11:36:31

He was a bit older, but I bought my husband cable tow wakeboarding sessions for his 73rd, and he says he enjoyed it enormously www.letsgoout.co.uk/blog/cable-wakeboarding-in-the-uk/

Frenchgalinspain Thu 07-Mar-24 11:43:48

Since he is active and fit:

A lovely lunch out ..

A marvelous brunch out ..

A beautiful scarf as it is still cold ..

A book on a subject he enjoys ..

Theatre or Opera or Concert tickets or Sports event ..

All depends on budget of course. Needless to say.

Fair2good Thu 07-Mar-24 11:43:59

I’m sorry but my failsafe is always a book token. Sneered at by many but in my world nothing beats a good book.

pascal30 Thu 07-Mar-24 11:46:58

Eurostar tickets for a Europen destination

J52 Thu 07-Mar-24 12:13:40

You could curate a day out, with breakfast at a coffee shop, visit a NT or similar destination, rounded off with dinner. Not necessarily on the actual birthday.

Scribbles Thu 07-Mar-24 12:21:14

A smart watch as you say he's fit and active?

NannyInTheKitchen Thu 07-Mar-24 12:21:24

How about a historical newspaper for the day they were born

Poppyred Thu 07-Mar-24 12:34:07

Bit fed up with people asking for recommendations for presents. At our age most of us don’t need anything or hanker after anything, do we??

A nice meal out or concert tickets (if he likes those things) as someone has suggested- you know him, we don’t. 🙅‍♀️

Elusivebutterfly Thu 07-Mar-24 13:02:58

Thank you for your suggestions. I should have said it's not my husband so any outings would be paying for two tickets for him and his wife.
I've never heard of wakeboarding before. It looks interesting.
I think tickets for theatre or a meal could be a good idea.
He has a smart watch.
A historical newspaper is something I have considered.

Daddima Thu 07-Mar-24 13:11:52

Poppyred

Bit fed up with people asking for recommendations for presents. At our age most of us don’t need anything or hanker after anything, do we??

A nice meal out or concert tickets (if he likes those things) as someone has suggested- you know him, we don’t. 🙅‍♀️

Ouch, Poppyred, a wee bit nippy there,no?

Daddima Thu 07-Mar-24 13:13:59

Elusivebutterfly

Thank you for your suggestions. I should have said it's not my husband so any outings would be paying for two tickets for him and his wife.
I've never heard of wakeboarding before. It looks interesting.
I think tickets for theatre or a meal could be a good idea.
He has a smart watch.
A historical newspaper is something I have considered.

A helicopter ride over his local area, or a canvas print of a local spot?

Poppyred Thu 07-Mar-24 14:11:48

Or a visit to a brothel?? 😜

Doodle Thu 07-Mar-24 14:14:48

I bought my brother a set of watercolour paints and paper for his 70th Nothing like he’d ever done before. He loved it and turned out some lovely pictures.

Kim19 Thu 07-Mar-24 14:23:56

Perhaps ask his wife?

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 07-Mar-24 15:55:49

I’ve bought a couple of Beano /Dandy annuals (any other Boys Annuals would do) dated from a time when the birthday boy was a youngster, our friend loved them.

Shelflife Thu 07-Mar-24 16:06:09

Was that necessary Poppyred?

Grandmadinosaur Thu 07-Mar-24 16:08:07

We’ve just been given a voucher for a tour and tasting at a local vineyard. Lots of places do these now gin,beers etc.

Elusivebutterfly Thu 07-Mar-24 16:42:37

Oopsadaisy1 - I have done that previously.

PiscesLady Thu 07-Mar-24 17:01:12

A small oak tree? DH loves the one he was given for his 70th.

NotSpaghetti Thu 07-Mar-24 18:01:45

I like the Beano (or similar) idea.
Or, if he likes cooking what about a cookery day? Alternatively, one year my husband went willow-weaving and made an excellent basket (of the size you might use for logs).

I'm looking out for a local-ish needle punch day course for a friend and I. Thete are so many people offering craft taster days.

The other thing that he might like is a slump glass afternoon/morning. My husband and I did this once with a glass artist in Italy whilst we wete on holiday and the results were beautiful!
The more I think about it the more I'd look for that! My not-at-all-arty husband gave his to his mum and they both love this bowl. He is still amazed how lovely it is nearly 15 years later!

Some workshops are "fused glass" I notice... maybe they are flat and the one we did is "slumped". Ours were made in bowl moulds

BlueBelle Thu 07-Mar-24 18:36:58

Some very expensive present suggestions on this thread
is this man a close relative ?
Wouldnt it be nice to do something with his wife either a meal out, or a voucher for a local theatre they can both enjoy

If you spend too much it might outdo what his wife is getting him !!!