Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Sunday Lunch

(63 Posts)
Mel1967 Sun 10-Mar-24 21:00:51

I want to start having my parents for Sunday Lunch.
What’s the problem you might ask??
Myself and my husband don’t work at the weekends, but our son (their one and only Grandson), works every weekend Which means that if we all want to eat together then dinner wouldn’t be until about 7ish.
Our son does have Thursday and Friday as days off but his Girlfriend doesn’t finish work until 7pm.
My idea is to get our very small family (including girlfriend) together on a more regular basis.
Any ideas on how to make this work would be appreciated.
Thank you 😊

Oreo Sun 10-Mar-24 21:20:25

Simples.
Forget what your son and girlfriend are doing and ask your parents to come to Sunday lunch with you.They’re your parents and it’s you they want to see.

Shelflife Sun 10-Mar-24 21:23:14

Surely you can sort this out! For me , I would hate to have this weekly commitment - but that is just me ! I recognize that . Just get your heads together and come to an arrangement that suits you all , surely not all that difficult?

flappergirl Sun 10-Mar-24 21:24:06

Could your son's girlfriend not book a Friday off? Although I realise this isn't a permanent solution.

Alternatively why don't you invite your parents to Sunday lunch and then do a light supper around 7pm when your son gets home. The girlfriend may or may not want to join in but at least your parents get some time with your son and a nice lunch with you and your husband. It's better than nothing!

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 10-Mar-24 21:45:33

Any reason why you can’t do Sunday dinner instead of lunch? We never have a big meal at lunchtime.

Georgesgran Sun 10-Mar-24 22:30:25

When I had all the family on Sundays (pre DGSs) it was always for dinner, as both DDS worked as did a SinL depending on his shift pattern. The meal was just to finish as they all arrived, so we’d eat just before 7pm. I did it every week for years to fit in with them.

merlotgran Sun 10-Mar-24 22:38:19

How old are your parents? Do they prefer eating at lunchtime rather than the evening?
Do they need taking home?

Quite a few things to consider.

maddyone Mon 11-Mar-24 00:30:25

Oreo is right. Ask your parents to come every week and ask your son and his girlfriend to come on their weekends off. But don’t worry if there are some weekends when either your son and girlfriend, or your parents are doing something else, or not well enough to come. Just do the lunch and let those who want to come join you.
It’s a lovely gesture to provide Sunday lunch and family time for your parents and son. I always had my mother round for Sunday lunch when she was alive, or we took her with us if we were going to any of our adult children’s homes for Sunday lunch.

Nansnet Mon 11-Mar-24 04:34:11

If you want everyone to be included, I'd ask your parents to join you at around 5.30pm for a pre-dinner drink, and a catch-up, then have dinner at around 7.00pm when your son arrives home from work. His girlfriend can join you as early as she likes. Seems that due to their working hours, you would only be able to get everyone together for dinner at 7.00pm, as lunchtime wouldn't be possible for your son & his GF.
The only other solution, if your parents are quite old, and don't like to eat so late, then I'd do a late lunch/early dinner with them, maybe around 4.00pm, and they could spend an hour or so with your son, and his girlfriend, when he gets home from work, and you'd just have to plate up a dinner for them to eat at 7.00pm.

BlueBelle Mon 11-Mar-24 05:04:07

Oh dear just ask your parents for a midday meal and son and girlfriend can join in on any times they can get off
Do you not think weekly is OTT I wouldn’t like to have to go somewhere every week without fail especially if you ve never had this routine before
Are you sure the son and girlfriend will want a meal EVERY Sunday with elderly family aren’t they out and about themselves after work ?
I would dislike eating at 7 pm although if that’s their habit it will be fine
I d hate to be tied down to do the same thing every week as well but that’s just me
I d checked with everyone involved and do it once a month to start with or now and then

eazybee Mon 11-Mar-24 07:45:55

Invite your parents for a meal once a month at a time to suit them; every week is overpowering.

Calendargirl Mon 11-Mar-24 07:51:53

If you and your parents are happy to meet up on Sundays, fine, at a time to suit them and you, but maybe not too regularly.

If son and girlfriend can join occasionally, also fine, but I dare say the youngsters are not too bothered about a weekly lunch date with parents and GP’s.

You might be keen for a family gathering, but are they?

Juliet27 Mon 11-Mar-24 07:53:40

If I remember right, you said you found Boxing Day rather difficult when everyone was together as there was little conversation.

NotSpaghetti Mon 11-Mar-24 07:53:43

Surely your parents are more interested in you?
They may find 7 far too late - my mother-in-law now likes to eat at 6 -having always eaten at about 7 or 7.30 when younger.
Don't forget if food is on the table again 7 you won't get up from it till 8... how long does it take for them to get home? What time do they start getting ready for bed?

NotSpaghetti Mon 11-Mar-24 08:00:38

Maybe start earlier and invite girlfriend over "for pudding" - how old is your son and his girlfriend? Surely they will understand.

Personally I wouldn't want to do this every week - not as the grandparents or as the parents and certainly not as the grandson or girlfriend!!

nanna8 Mon 11-Mar-24 08:03:26

Just have your parents and catch up with son and girlfriend another time. Not worth stressing over really.

Astitchintime Mon 11-Mar-24 08:05:01

Dinner at 7pm on a regular basis would be far too late for us but that's a personal choice.
Why not invite your parents for Sunday lunch once a month and perhaps organise a separate event, a light evening buffet, occasionally, for when your DS and his girlfriend are available?
Personally, I would find a weekly invitation a bit overwhelming and restrictive.
You parents might also have other plans in their social diary.

Greyduster Mon 11-Mar-24 08:11:02

Sunday lunch is very much a moveable feast for DD, SiL and GS. GS plays football every Sunday, so it can be as early as two o’clock or as late as five. I don’t mind; I’m just very happy to have them here. When my son comes to lunch, you can set the clock by him. Always arrives by eleven thirty; lunch is always on the table by one thirty. If I had to arrange to feed them all at the same time, it would be a nightmare so separate invitations are the best solution.

Juliet27 Mon 11-Mar-24 08:11:26

Have you asked for the family’s suggestion on your proposed plan rather than GN members as they are the ones who will be affected.

petra Mon 11-Mar-24 08:33:10

Mel1967
You once asked for conversation ideas when you see your parents.
Now your thinking of entertaining them every week. 🤷‍♀️

Sago Mon 11-Mar-24 09:00:14

I think you are over thinking this.

Tanjamaltija Tue 12-Mar-24 11:43:39

Have lunch when it's fine for the grandparents (they might not want / be able to eat late) ad then the son & girlfriend can join you for coffee, or not. Remember that they have to get back home. Also - why are you committing yourself to a weekly thing?

Mamasperspective Tue 12-Mar-24 11:49:25

Does the girlfriend have to be in attendance? They are your family - either you and DH see them on Sunday or see them when your son is also available and you and DH can spend time with son and gf on a different day

Theexwife Tue 12-Mar-24 12:38:51

Does everyone want this commitment, I would ask them all first if they want to commit to a meal together every week.

Granra2 Tue 12-Mar-24 12:40:34

Could someone please all the abbreviations used on this forum? I’m lost among all these initials. 🙈