Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Podcasts- when do you listen?

(57 Posts)
kittylester Mon 11-Mar-24 19:32:12

I hear about lots of podcasts that i would like to listen to but I don't stay in one room for very long. When do you listen?

TinSoldier Mon 11-Mar-24 19:38:01

I listen on my iPhone and keep it in my pocket so I can listen via earbuds while I am moving about.

Maggiemaybe Mon 11-Mar-24 19:39:07

On my mobile when I’m cleaning (so rarely), while doing my exercise to a YouTube video with the sound off, or on a boring walk to the shops. DH worries that I’ll walk under a bus while wearing my headphones (I’m not insured grin), but I do look carefully right, left and right again when crossing the road.

Jaxjacky Mon 11-Mar-24 19:47:04

Same as, on my iPhone with ear buds, usually when I’m out for a walk, quite often I just have one ear bud in so I don’t walk under your bus Maggie 🙄.

maddyone Mon 11-Mar-24 20:00:34

Never.
That was easily answered smile

maddyone Mon 11-Mar-24 20:01:52

Don’t you have to pay to listen?
I’m probably too mean to pay.

Grannybags Mon 11-Mar-24 20:03:39

TinSoldier

I listen on my iPhone and keep it in my pocket so I can listen via earbuds while I am moving about.

This is what I do

Theexwife Mon 11-Mar-24 20:17:29

I listen every time I leave the house, shopping, going for a walk, driving etc .

I have never paid for one, I use Apple and Spotify, I think the ads are removed if you pay however I just fast forward the ads and there aren’t many anyway.

NanKate Mon 11-Mar-24 20:29:15

I download podcasts, series etc from BBC Sounds onto my iPhone which feed through my hearing aids. I wear a small light weight pouch, which I wear crossing over my body.

When I am out shopping I’m often listening to Woman’s Hour, The Blues Show with Cerys Matthew’s or I’m sorry I haven’t a clue.

I don’t do silence.

TinSoldier Mon 11-Mar-24 20:29:20

I listen via BBC Sounds or the Castbox app (which includes BBC content). It has 259,000,000 volumes of content - all free.

NotSpaghetti Mon 11-Mar-24 20:37:55

I listen in bed when too tired to read or when sitting doing (say) suduko or sewing.
I don't pay. I mostly listen to political ones such as "the rest is politics " on LBC or "Ukrainecast" on BBC sounds. I also enjoy "This American Life" online.

I listen free (on Borrowbox) to novels when I'm physically busy so today for example I listened David Golder by Irène Némirovsky whilst I was hanging wallpaper.

I haven't paid for a podcast.

CoolCoco Mon 11-Mar-24 20:37:56

I listen while I’m on my sewing machine or out in the garden .

NanKate Mon 11-Mar-24 20:49:29

Thanks TinSoldier just downloaded Castbox 👍

Oldbat1 Mon 11-Mar-24 21:13:50

I listen to podcasts on my iPhone when walking the dog and before I go to sleep. Usually on BBC Sounds. I don’t pay for podcasts. I also listen to audiobooks on BorrowBox.

JackyB Tue 12-Mar-24 08:44:57

I have a Bluetooth headband set of headphones which I wear almost permanently while doing the housework and when walking or biking to church or to the village, with podcasts on all the time The quality doesn't have to be so good if you are only listening to speech podcasts and it doesn't interfere with hearing what's going on in the outside world. If I wake up in the night. I listen to a podcast to lull me back to sleep. Music wouldn't work for me, I need a voice droning in my ear!

I usually download stuff from BBC sounds . (So, free of charge) They have enough audio books, comedy programmes, science programmes, and other interesting programmes to fill a day's listening. I have a huge backlog of In Our Time downloaded and there are over 1000 all together on the BBC site, available indefinitely. I'm sorry I can't contribute by paying a licence fee but I live outside the UK.

For light entertainment I listen to No Such Thing As A Fish by the QI elves. There are over 500 of those available as they come out weekly.

Otherwise there are podcasts for free on Amazon Music and Google Podcasts. The Fish ones are now available on BBC sounds but I can't access them there as they are blocked for those outside the UK. No problem finding them - or downloading them- on their own websites or on the two platforms just mentioned though. Advert breaks are hardly noticeable.

The Infinite Monkey Cage on BBC Sounds says it's not available outside the UK but that I do get in my BBC Sounds Inbox as soon as the series starts - the whole series in one big lump!

I haven't yet seen a podcast you have to pay for. Oh no, wait a minute, I was an avid listener for over a decade to Kermode and Mayo's film review podcast when they were on 5live. But now they have gone over to a private company and the podcast is not as good, plus they have introduced a subscription fee and only put out a small part of their chat for non-subscribers and to hear the rest you have to pay the (admittedly small) subscription. This gives you other perks as well, but as the tone of the podcast has somehow changed - for the worse IMO - I'm not really interested.

silverlining48 Tue 12-Mar-24 08:54:48

I have never listened to a podcast but do listen to the radio most of the time. Radio 4 always entertains and often educates.
When I can’t sleep I listen to bbc world service.
I have a radio in every room inc bathroom so don’t miss anything as I move around the house.

harrigran Tue 12-Mar-24 10:33:08

Never heard one. I would never walk around with things stuck in my ears.

tanith Tue 12-Mar-24 12:23:14

Sometimes when I’m out walking, I use earbuds and BBC sounds I always get a shock if I get a phone call while listening 😂

NotSpaghetti Tue 12-Mar-24 12:31:22

harrigran

Never heard one. I would never walk around with things stuck in my ears.

I never use "things stuck in my ears" harrigran

Maggiemaybe Tue 12-Mar-24 13:22:37

Me neither. Nothing but the phone at home, and some decent over the ear headphones when I’m out and about. I did ask Alexa a couple of times to play me a podcast, but the Amazon ones she came up with were rubbish. Mine are nearly always from BBC Sounds, though I do like an audiobook as well.

Oldbat1 Tue 12-Mar-24 13:54:51

Those “who never walk around with things in their ears” are very very lucky. Unfortunately I require hearing aids so always need things in my ears.. Luckily my new nhs aids allow me to be able to use my iphone to hear (i couldnt before) and also listen to bbc sounds. Win win.

Kim19 Tue 12-Mar-24 16:19:12

I locate pods using my ipad either via bbc sounds or you tube. I mostly listen during the night as I sleep somewhat fitfully

MayBee70 Tue 12-Mar-24 18:00:39

I listen on my iPad and carry it from room to room. I usually have it on throughout the night for background noise too. Trouble is there are so many podcasts that I listen to I don’t seem to have time to listen to all of them.

CanadianGran Tue 12-Mar-24 18:12:39

I listen to podcasts at night in bed; they lull me to sleep. I can set a timer for 30 min for them to stop. I mostly listen to CBC, but listen to BBC History Extra - guaranteed to get me to sleep!

For those that don't like headphones or earbuds, you can get small portable bluetooth speakers which have really nice sound. That way you can carry it from room to room, or outside in the garden.

Galaxy Tue 12-Mar-24 18:14:20

On headphones whilst doing housework, cooking etc.
And in the car. I use spotify, and occassionally BBC sounds.