Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

To all the young grannies who run a business

(50 Posts)
Delia12 Wed 13-Mar-24 10:33:39

Hi, im Delia! I'm 52, and I have been running a family restaurant for about 20 years now. It's been my pride and joy, a place where families gather for good food and great memories. But lately, I've noticed a decline in business, and it's got me worried.
You see, times have changed, and I want to appeal more to the younger crowd, those aged 16 to 35. They're the future, after all! But I'm not sure how to go about it. How do I make my restaurant more appealing to them? How do I promote it in a way that catches their attention?

I've thought about updating the menu to include trendier dishes, maybe adding some vegan options or healthier alternatives. But I'm not sure if that's enough. And when it comes to promotion, I feel a bit lost in this digital age. Back in my day, it was all about word of mouth and local advertising in the paper! Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your wisdom!

Theexwife Wed 13-Mar-24 10:40:57

Go to a busy restaurant in your area and see what they are doing, there are different needs according to where you live.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 13-Mar-24 10:42:01

Wouldn’t it be more sensible to ask this question on Mumsnet if you want to know what appeals to younger people?

Callistemon21 Wed 13-Mar-24 10:42:07

I think you're asking the wrong demographic!

The Hairy Bikers programme last night featured some successful restaurants and food outlets featuring more unusual food. Worth a watch.

maddyone Wed 13-Mar-24 10:42:27

You sound rather ageist. Surely you should be trying to appeal to all ages. Customers ages are irrelevant, because they are customers. Have you never heard of the grey pound?

Astitchintime Wed 13-Mar-24 10:45:24

I agree with Theexwife - look at those restaurants reviews first though, you don't want to simulate one that's not much good.

Could you consider asking the DC and GC of friends and existing customers to determine what they'd like to see on the menus at your place.

Good luck!

Callistemon21 Wed 13-Mar-24 10:48:17

maddyone

You sound rather ageist. Surely you should be trying to appeal to all ages. Customers ages are irrelevant, because they are customers. Have you never heard of the grey pound?

😁

Yes, why ask us!?

"How can I appeal to a demographic other than all of you?"

Callistemon21 Wed 13-Mar-24 10:57:22

And when it comes to promotion, I feel a bit lost in this digital age. Back in my day, it was all about word of mouth and local advertising in the paper!

🤔 I'm really surprised that omeone of 52 is lost in this digital age and relied on word of mouth and local advertising in the paper

Well, I find that quite astonishing. Are you asking us grannies to advise you on setting up a website and advising you on digital marketing? Become influencers?
There would be a fee, I think.

kittylester Wed 13-Mar-24 10:59:11

maddyone

Exactly and why assume only young grannies run a business?

fancythat Wed 13-Mar-24 11:02:17

Another bizarre op.

Callistemon21 Wed 13-Mar-24 11:04:27

fancythat

Another bizarre op.

A 52 year old lost in this digital age? hmm

There are lots of courses out there but most are online, sorry.

Grandmabatty Wed 13-Mar-24 11:16:13

Reads like a bot

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 13-Mar-24 11:24:05

I agree.

V3ra Wed 13-Mar-24 11:36:31

Exactly and why assume only young grannies run a business?

Just waiting for biglouis to spot this thread... 😳 😂

J52 Wed 13-Mar-24 11:46:22

Apart from what other posters have said, I don’t think many 16 to 35 year olds have a lot of spare cash to go to restaurants.
I know a couple of people who own restaurants and they’ve been offering Vegetarian and Vegan dishes on their menus for some years.

grannyactivist Wed 13-Mar-24 15:46:46

I’m seventy and run a successful business with my husband. Is that young enough to comment or am I too old? 😂😂😂

Callistemon21 Wed 13-Mar-24 16:25:05

grannyactivist

I’m seventy and run a successful business with my husband. Is that young enough to comment or am I too old? 😂😂😂

You can comment but how can you possibly know anything useful about technology at your advanced age 😂

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 13-Mar-24 16:31:42

🤣🤣🤣

Sago Wed 13-Mar-24 19:19:29

If this is a genuine post (Delia Smith) then surely you would look on trip advisor and see what you’re doing right and what you’re doing wrong.

Callistemon21 Wed 13-Mar-24 19:34:50

Sago

If this is a genuine post (Delia Smith) then surely you would look on trip advisor and see what you’re doing right and what you’re doing wrong.

It's not the capable Delia Smith.
She's 82 and quite tech-savvy!

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 13-Mar-24 19:36:07

It isn’t genuine. Someone of 52 who has been running a restaurant for 20 years isn’t as clueless as the OP pretends.

flappergirl Wed 13-Mar-24 20:03:01

If you really want to attract 16 year olds, I suggest you apply for a MacDonalds franchise.

petra Wed 13-Mar-24 20:47:52

I’m afraid there’s no hope for anyone who wants to attract the younger generation who uses the term back in my day at the age of 52
Dare I ask if you have Wi-Fi, and if you do, what speed is it?

Callistemon21 Wed 13-Mar-24 22:54:22

I believe something called Dial-Up WiFi is available if anyone wants to enter the Digital Age.

Hope this helps 🙂

NotSpaghetti Thu 14-Mar-24 09:04:54

Is there a business course at your local technical college? You have probably lost your spark after so many years.

Why not ask everyone you know what you can do - and ask younger people what they look for...
Do you do takeaways? Is it worth partnering with "just eat" or similar?