Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

So many lovely Dorset and Somerset villages, but which one?

(52 Posts)
Rosieday Mon 18-Mar-24 17:07:05

Apologies if this is a perennial question! I am a 72 not-old female, fit and active with no close family. I am relocating from rural France, having previously lived in Devon. Looking forward I would like an active village with at least a decent pub and a shop. All suggestions very gratefully received!

Joseann Mon 18-Mar-24 17:25:49

Shaftesbury or South Petherton. A bit bigger than a village, but have everything.

Joseann Mon 18-Mar-24 17:33:16

Forgot Gillingham, it has a Waitrose too.

Delila Mon 18-Mar-24 17:37:54

Beaminster in Dorset has a lot to offer, as does Somerton in Somerset.

jusnoneed Mon 18-Mar-24 18:50:59

Langport in Somerset, a lot of people from Somerton travel there to shop/doctors etc. Has regular markets too.
Butleigh is also a nice smaller village, always have things going on, no pub anymore (as in many places having closed up over recent years) but they have a bar at events in a farm shop.
Milborne Port has a bit of everything, shops/pubs.

TerriBull Mon 18-Mar-24 19:48:39

I love Sherborne it's more than a village, smallish town, loads of character and plenty of shops and pubs. Shaftesbury is also lovely, again more than a village though.

Greenfinch Mon 18-Mar-24 20:05:16

Another vote for Sherborne. I also would recommend Lychett Matravers which is a sizeable rural village but only six miles from Poole. It is built on a hilltop with spectacular views.

NotAGran55 Mon 18-Mar-24 20:09:39

Milborne Port also has The Clockspire.

Skydancer Mon 18-Mar-24 20:10:07

I agree - Sherborne. It's delightful and has a railway station on the main line to Waterloo one way and Exeter the other.

Delila Mon 18-Mar-24 20:14:00

I agree, Sherborne is lovely.

Rosieday Mon 18-Mar-24 20:41:53

Ladies, thank you so much! I’m soon visiting the SW and can see I shall be very busy!

pascal30 Mon 18-Mar-24 21:04:53

Frome maybe

Sunny82z Mon 18-Mar-24 21:29:44

Just wondering how long it is since you lived in th Uk, the South West is not the inexpensive place it once was but then you may be selling a chateaux so expense may not be a problem. I would throw in Hinton at George in South Somerset, pub and an excellent shop that sells free range chickens and all beautiful Ham stone.

Barleysugar Mon 18-Mar-24 22:20:18

I moved a few years ago to South Somerset & love so many of the lovely villages & small towns. Delightful shops, pubs & markets - quiet pace of life. Langport, Somerton & Fivehead are my choice.

25Avalon Mon 18-Mar-24 22:26:20

Be careful. Current Local Plans are looking to increase the size of some of these locations by thousand of houses in the next 20 years. The lovely village/town of today may soon be very different.

Jane43 Mon 18-Mar-24 22:28:40

When I was a child we used to visit my mother’s family in Southampton. One of our favourite trips out was to Highcliffe, I don’t know what it’s like now but we used to love it.

jusnoneed Tue 19-Mar-24 08:49:16

I live in Sherborne, have for over 40 years (my O.H has lived here all his life) but would love to move back to Somerset. Here is very expensive, it might be nice to visit but has expensive housing/council tax etc. Independent shops which are also for the more well off folk. A lot of retirees or second home owners from the S.East.

Beechnut Tue 19-Mar-24 09:09:16

Jane43

When I was a child we used to visit my mother’s family in Southampton. One of our favourite trips out was to Highcliffe, I don’t know what it’s like now but we used to love it.

The first holiday DH (my boyfriend) took together was to Highcliffe.

NotSpaghetti Tue 19-Mar-24 09:45:33

My mother-in-law lived in a lovely village in Dorset with just a pub and shop as you described.

The bus service was rubbish, arts 40 mins away and taxis very very expensive.

When her husband died she decided to "future proof" by moving to somewhere wgerd she didnt always have to use the car. She wanted somewhere with good busses and easier for taxis.

She looked at lots of villages (and nearly went to the outskirts of Sherborne) but eventually went to the "oldest" part of Poundbury (which is virtually attached to Dorchester).

At the time we made lots of jokes about "toytown and model villages" and of course Poundbury has subsequently spread exponentially however it did turn out to be a surprisingly great place for her to live. The "old" part still has very much a village feel to it and there is still space to enjoy the countryside whilst having easy access to culture, transport (including trains).

Just a short step away in the newer area, Poundbury has it's own small Waitrose and hotel, another pub and even cafés, a hairdresser and restaurants- and a few independent shops too.

It was great for her for many years - well into her 90s. As it turned out she was still driving until 96 or 97 by which time she had moved to be near us (about four years ago).

People can be snippy about Poundbury (I know I was) - but actually the old part was fantastic with lots going on but not in each other's pockets.

Good luck.

NotSpaghetti Tue 19-Mar-24 09:48:32

BTW, Dorchester has a hospital, fantastic library and great shops.
The bus links into Poundbury were going electric last time I looked.

Delila Tue 19-Mar-24 10:53:33

The route from tiny village with no bus service to Poundbury is a well trodden path. I think a lot of the people who move there find themselves among their old neighbours. I like Poundbury & think it’s a fascinating place with a lot to commend it - still being developed.

NotSpaghetti Tue 19-Mar-24 11:36:02

I was hostile to it Delila and then it grew on me. It was fantastic for my mother-in-law as a single woman - and as upu say, neighbours from her rural hamlet moved there. Her life expanded and although it was great for an older person it was a very "mixed" community with young families and teens etc - and it was nice ghat the social housing was well mixed in.

Delila Tue 19-Mar-24 11:45:04

Yes, it has a good community feel and I like the way housing and business premises, private and social housing are integrated, all with imaginative and varied architecture. I don’t live there but visit often.

NotSpaghetti Tue 19-Mar-24 22:22:43

So maybe, Rosieday you might consider having a look there if you have time.

Rosieday Thu 21-Mar-24 07:22:19

Good morning
I just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone for taking the time to respond. Your comments and thoughtful suggestions are truly appreciated!