Gransnet forums

Books/book club

What books have you read twice?

(266 Posts)
whenim64 Mon 13-May-13 10:06:53

I occasionally read books that I have enjoyed, again - years later. When I go back to them, I find that I have missed lots of enjoyable passages and interesting use of language in the pursuit of frantic page-turning to see what happens next.

I'm enjoying To Kill A Mocking Bird at the moment. I remember reading the story in the 80s, and have seen the film, with Gregory Peck as Atticus. This time, the book is coming alive in a deeper, richer way than when I first read it.

Any books that you would recommend from reading twice?

SJP Tue 08-Mar-16 17:29:15

I have read alk the Poldark novels many times and always find something new.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 08-Mar-16 17:37:42

I'm reading The Rainmaker by John Grisham at the moment, and the further I get into it, the convinced I become I've read it before. Can't remember what happens though so will carry on.

mrswoo Fri 11-Mar-16 21:35:05

Birdsong: Sebastian Faulks

84 Charing Cross Road: Helene Hanff

And a book that I've read and re-read: The Loving Spirit,Daphne du Maurier's
first novel which has been out of print for years and the first "grown-up" book I read. It made me cry the first time I read it and still reduces me to tears all these years later. If you can find a copy - buy it - and enjoy.

lilahloo Sun 01-May-16 12:40:23

Wurzelernie I don't know if you are still on here as this is quite an old.thread but I just wanted to thank you for recommending the Guernsey literary and potato peel pie society.
I've just finished it and it was a joy.

Witzend Sun 01-May-16 13:17:27

Loads! All of Jane Austen, Jane Eyre, many of Trollope's inc. the Barchester Chronicles, all the Palliser series and The Way We Live Now (a fantastic read), Lucky Jim, Three Men in a Boat, A Clergyman's Daughter, many of the William books, and another fantastic children's book nobody else has ever heard of, called Chalky, published in the 50s. The Woman in White, and many of Arnold Bennet's - the Clayhanger trilogy among others. Olivia Manning's Balkan Trilogy was a recent re read. Oh, and Cranford, which I'm re reading now, and too many more to mention.
I am fond nowadays of classics which I can get for 0p on the kindle!

BBbevan Sun 01-May-16 19:47:34

One book I found fascinating and keep on the book shelf is" The Source" by Leon Uris. It is about an archaelogical dig and the growth of the Jewish religion.

jan727 Tue 17-May-16 18:29:09

Ihave read all Thomas Hardy novels many times and I read Tess every year! I also re-read most books I have at least twice also William Golding 4 or5 times. There are so many and I have a considerable number of books I have yet to read.I just love books.

Maggymay Tue 17-May-16 18:37:22

I have read Larkrise to candleford by Flora Thompson many times.

It is very different to the TV series much more of a social history of the time.

MargaretX Tue 17-May-16 19:05:29

I have read all of David Lodge's books at least three times and those of Barbara Pym who was rediscovered some yeras ago.
I have also read A Yorkshire Boyhood by Roy Hattersley who lived and grew up a few miles away from our house. There is also an exboyfriend on a cricket team photo.
Margaret Forster remains a great favourite and Margaret Drabble

Amenhotep Wed 18-May-16 10:45:27

The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier. Several of Clive Cussler.
Lots of the classics like Jane Eyre, Cranford, some Dickens, the list is endless!

hermione89 Wed 15-Jun-16 06:38:45

I love Tolkien's Lord Of The Rings and read it again and again.I also love Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca,The House On The Strand and Jamaica Inn and I read these often too, much to my husband's amusement.

carerof123 Wed 15-Jun-16 08:41:14

I have a collection of Miss Read books and i have read all of them several times. Also at the other end of the spectrum i have every hardback copy of Martina Cole's books which are about mafia type gangsters, i have reread several of those too.

Gononsuch Wed 15-Jun-16 09:19:23

I've read Sven Hassell books more than once,but I rather like sex & violence, maybe it's my age, or my life is that boring.

GrandmaMoira Wed 15-Jun-16 14:08:52

This has been a really interesting thread and I've now bought several kindle books that I read years ago and had forgotten about. It's great that with kindle you can get books that are out of print or not easily available otherwise but it's not always good for the bank account!
I'm currently rereading Jane Eyre. I recently reread Wolf Hall before reading Bring up the Bodies. I don't reread very many books but it is interesting how books seem different at different times in your life.

Elrel Wed 15-Jun-16 16:42:21

I've just begun to reread The Rotters' Club by Jonathan Coe and the first few pages are completely unfamiliar.
Gentlemen and Players by Joanne Harris was well worth rereading too.