Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Bit disgruntled and feeling ever so slightly vicious....

(38 Posts)
Katek Sat 25-Apr-15 23:34:39

We've been getting a lot of work done recently ito refurbish our bedroom. This has involved much chaos, storage boxes, dress rails and moving stuff around so the next stage of the operation could happen. I've periodically sent the family pics/video of the mess with comments of the "aaargh, help!" variety. My SIL told me last week that we were rubbish at doing these sort of things and we shouid get someone in at £100(!) per day to do it for us. I half jokingly asked if he was volunteering and his reply was that he was far too busy to do anything like that for us. Now bear in mind that I am a bad asthmatic with significant spinal issues, and DH has had 2 heart attacks and is on a cocktail of drugs-we really shouldn't be lugging around heavy bits of furniture and boxes.

What is annoying me most is that we have always been first on the scene after cries of help to save his tail from a multitude of diy disasters - including the staircase collapsing. DH has fitted kitchens for him, repaired ceilngs, all sorts of things. I've painted and papered for them in the past as well. We didn't do these things expecting a quid pro quo payback but a little consideration might be nice. Grrrrrr!

Ana Sun 26-Apr-15 22:10:20

I agree. Your SIL sounds like the last person who should be allowed anywhere near a project that you hope's going to be successful!

If you can't cope, as Soutra says, get professional help. And don't rush in to rescue SIL from his own DIY disasters in future.

Ana Sun 26-Apr-15 22:11:59

x posts, sorry. You can probably hire muscle power as well...[wink0

Ana Sun 26-Apr-15 22:12:30

wink hmm

Katek Sun 26-Apr-15 22:12:40

X'd posts ... we needed a hand emptying the room of all contents to allow the professionals in. Couple of hours lugging stuff about really.

Ana Sun 26-Apr-15 22:14:11

Yes, I understand. He sounds ignorant, to put it politely...

Katek Sun 26-Apr-15 22:14:24

Double x'd posts!! What does muscle power come under in Yellow Pages I wonder?

Ana Sun 26-Apr-15 22:15:20

Mr Muscle...? Or is that a drain cleaner? grin

Katek Sun 26-Apr-15 22:17:34

Hahaha! Maybe I could haunt local gym looking for likely candidates.....or do you think they might notice granny gawping from the corner?

Soutra Sun 26-Apr-15 22:19:33

"Man with a van" perhaps? I am sure there are lads/young men/strong women willing to help out, and also in my experience most tradesmen will move any furniture you need moving as part of the job.

Soutra Sun 26-Apr-15 22:21:45

Katek any excuse to check out the fit young men in their Lycra from the sound of it!!

Katek Sun 26-Apr-15 22:38:52

Now where did I put that old gym membership card....?? ��

rosequartz Sun 26-Apr-15 23:05:04

If you value your house and furniture you should refuse ANY offer of help from him grin
Just count yourself lucky he is letting you get on with it!