Gransnet forums

Chat

How did you meet?

(66 Posts)
CharlotteOldie Wed 14-Mar-12 15:37:00

We'd love to hear stories from Oldies on how they met and when. Was it on a park bench? At school? On a bus? You need not be married, you could just be old friends. Encounters of any kind, particularly ones that led to life-long friendships..

22979909 Thu 19-Dec-13 12:19:41

I met my beloved at our place of work, walk she walked on to the factory
floor I know that she was the one for me, I took out the following week,that
was in Oct 1956, and on boxing of the year I asked to marry me, and we got married on July 27/7/1957, and we have been all these years, yes we have had our ups and downs, but Love keeps to going along, we got married in
Keighley, I am Michael Spencer and Marian Spencer if anyone remembers us
please get in touch.

sunseeker Thu 19-Dec-13 16:41:40

I met my DH at the local Top Rank. I had gone along with a couple of friends, they decided to go to the loo and I said I would stay at the table to keep the seats (it was always difficult to find somewhere to sit down). I watched them walk away and when I turned back I was surrounded by 4 good looking lads - brothers. DH's younger brother started with the chat up lines, which didn't impress me. I looked at DH and my first sight of him were his eyes over the top of his glass of beer! He said he was going for another drink and he would be back. I said I would look forward to it and then went home!

The following week we met again and he caught the last bus home with me, this meant he had a 5 mile walk to get back to his house. We were married after 2 years and had 43 wonderful years together until he died 2 years ago.

I believe everyone has a soul mate who is their true love - I consider myself very lucky to have met mine when I was still a teenager.

Grannyknot Thu 19-Dec-13 18:21:41

I met husband via a mutual friend who was convinced we would get along (and he was right) - he set up a blind date for us to meet, and husband was so nervous he brought his sister along grin. Despite that slightly strange first date, many long years later we are still together and still fancy each other smile

feetlebaum Fri 20-Dec-13 10:31:07

I met Wife#2 at rehearsals for the opening of The Cat's Whiskers, Mecca's re-branding of the Streatham Locarno. The dancers from Bertie Green's Astor Club were to start the cabaret, and one of them had been called back from holiday to rehearse - she arrived swearing fit to burst, and not at all happy. I took to her at once... eventually we moved in together, and then married.
I'm afraid it didn't outlast the decade, but it was a fun ride while it lasted!
We are still in touch, over thirty years on - I in the house we bought together, and she in Las Vegas...

dollie Fri 20-Dec-13 11:04:39

i first saw my late husband when i was on a bus going to work and i got all the info from a friend who used to travel with me on the bus...he was a laundry boy and used to deliver/ collect the towels from the hairdressers next door to the grocers shop where i worked...quite often he would call in the shop for a pie then one day he asked me out...the rest is history...we were married for 44 years ..

Kiora Fri 20-Dec-13 11:56:29

Boringly I met my husband at at the Malcolm club at R.A.F Laarbruch B.F.P.O Germany. He was drunk but still liked me sober so here we are 39 years later. But what I wanted to say was 30 years ago I needed some spare cash and got a evening job in a factory. One of the girls looked and acted really scary and I was very freighted of her. She thought I looked very 'Laura Ashley' (her description not mine) We really didn't like each other at all.After a few months we were made to work together. Shes been my best friend ever since. I feel so privileged to know her. We have seen each other through many many crises together. She very probably knows more about me than any one else including my husband. Since then neither of us have judged a book by its cover.

Bellasnana Fri 20-Dec-13 12:32:07

Back in 1980 I was working in London and, thanks to a nice tax rebate, decided to visit my Mum (who was living in Malta) for Christmas. Her partner was holding his staff Christmas lunch and I was invited. Being an introvert and not liking parties, I still don't know what possessed me to go, but I did and that's where I met my DH. It will be 33 years on Monday since we met and, despite the usual ups and downs, I don't think I would swap him smile

Kiora - I know what you mean about judging a book by its cover. A now dear friend told me that they had thought I was 'stand-offish' when they first met me which upset me a bit. I think they confused my shyness/self-consciousness perhaps, but it taught me not to judge people too quickly.

Elegran Fri 20-Dec-13 12:51:20

Kiora My uncle was at Laarbruch. I visited him and his wife there in about 1960! That was where I learned a few bits of German - like "Zwei mal Kevelaer" for the bus. When I reached Kevelaer it got more difficult, but I managed to get back safely.

annodomini Fri 20-Dec-13 13:24:16

I was joining a house party on the Kenya coast, several other teachers from the same school plus friends. One of the friends was hanging around wearing only red swimming trunks - he had good legs and apparently a GSH. We got married a year later and had DS1 a year after that. Fifteen years later, his GSH had disappeared and he found a bimbo who became his second wife.

Deedaa Sat 21-Dec-13 21:25:59

I met my husband at work. He was a lorry driver who used to do deliveries for us. After a few weeks I managed to get him to offer me a lift home and we have rarely been apart since. I worked in the same office as my father and when my mother wanted to know who I was going out with he said "I think this one will be all right, he doesn't like football and he doesn't seem to spend all his time in the pub." tchgrin
In fact it was my father who had started luring the poor boy up to the office so that we could meet!

Humbertbear Sun 22-Dec-13 10:28:46

I was on a blind date (arranged by my sister) at a Valentines Day Dance organised by young Mensa. Our eyes met across the room. He was with a red headed girl who looked like Elizabeth I. The male organiser of the group followed me into the loo to invite me to a party the following week (they didn't want my blind date there) and DH was at the party without his girlfriend. He asked me if I liked Bach and that was that. I think the blind date now lives in Israel. He was very upset at the time.

Flowerofthewest Sun 22-Dec-13 21:03:07

I first spied my DDH at a Natural History meeting - he was kneeling on the ground in a grubby parka with a shrew running up his sleeve. I was awe-struck. He was opening small mammal traps and telling the group about what they had caught etc. I was smitten from the first. Absolutely had never felt like this before. We married 3 years later and he took on board my 4 children - we went on to have another. Still very happy and in love after 34 years.

janc Sun 26-Jan-14 22:31:04

My husband and I met on a blind- date, we went out for a year got engaged then married a year later.We were told by my parents that we wouldn't last (which was a joke as both my parents,divorced and remarried) we have been together now for34yrs and never looked at anybody else,we have been through all sorts of trials and tribulations with our three children but we are still together.
My health hasn't been great but I know who I can depend on being there for me.

lefthanded Mon 27-Jan-14 12:01:39

We first met at a party 30th May 1966 at the house of one of her schoolfriends (we went to different schools in the same town), I was 15 - she was a few weeks short of her 15th birthday. We drifted apart after a couple of years - she went to University in Bristol, I got a job and a Triumph Bonneville (but that's another story altogether).

In 1971 we met up again, engineered by a mutual friend who invited us both to meet him in the same pub then didn't turn up! We got back together and were married in 1975 (and the friend who got us together was my best man).

Roderick Mon 27-Jan-14 14:44:19

We met through an introduction agency in April 1966,married on 23 July 1966 and divorced in 2007,my wife had mental depression and alcoholism,I could not live with that combination